Why did you buy a EB Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zirc, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sterling owners, Why did you buy a EB Sterling and not another bass? I'm looking to get something to replace my Jazz, with active electronics of course.

Sure I searched, but I'm not satisfied with the responses, I want more.
  2. Dude, replace your jazz with an active jazz. But don't even replace it! Just add an active jazz to your stable. Not that it really matters, because in the end you'll probably end up with both anyways- regardless of financial situation.
  3. i was gassing a sterling until i played the sterling alittle longer.

the sterling is a great bass, but in my opinion the fenders sound so much sexier.
  4. I had a Sterling for about 2 weeks. Excellent bass but a bit much growl probably due to the active electronics. I took it back and traded for an MIA Jazz with S-1. Haven't looked back.
    However, one day I will own a second bass and it will most likely be a Sterling. They are awesome if that is the tone you are looking for. Well built, quality throughout in build and hardware.

5. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I really don't like the way the Jazz sounds. I put Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks in it, a Badass Bass II bridge, and I run through a sonic maximizer and efx preamp, but it's not enough.

Fender is probably the best sounding bass when you're playing by yourself, and the worst sounding bass in the mix. That's the conclusion I've come to, so no more Fenders for me. Plus I've never heard a good recording of a Fender on a produced record. Also, for the style of music I'm playing, Fenders sound way too vintage. That and it pisses me off that they charge more for left-handed models.

So back to the original question, why did you buy a Sterling over another bass?
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    1. I was used to J-style necks at the time.
    2. I've always liked the sound of a StingRay, and I liked the sound and feel of the Sterling I tried.
    3. The Sterling's pickup is wired in Series, Single Coil w/hum cancelling dummy coil, and Parallel. IMO it had a bit more tonal variety when I compared to the StingRay.
    4. I found one used at a really good price.

- Art
  7. Man I originally was looking for a Stingray but as soon as I played it I was hooked...

I really liked the neck, the feel, the body size and most of all the sound!!! But if you don't really like the MusicMan sound and are used to the Fender sound check out the G & L. That's another great bass.
  8. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    I currently own 2 Sterlings, with a 3rd on the way. I quit playing jazz basses after playing the Sterling.I think they are more comfortable,better balanced,the tone is awsome. It's maybe less versitle than a jazz as far as tone, but, using the 3 way switch in conjunction with the tone controls, you'll probably have access to more tones than you'll ever need. How many different tones do you need at one gig, anyway? I usually leave the tone controls on the bass flat,and set my tone at the preamp.I retired my beloved 73 jazz bass about a month after I got my first Sterling. They are addictive!
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Jazz style neck-fast.
    MM-pickup- three-way switch.
    Jazz bass feel musicman punch.
    If you like p-bass get stingray
    If you like jazz-get a sterling.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Most comfortable neck ever, MM pickup and sound with a little more versatility. Smaller body/weight.
  11. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Maybe the best production neck ever. Seriously.
  12. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Cool cool cool, looking forward to it a lot.

Also I'm sure that the Sterling has just as much versatility if not more than my Jazz. Sure I can get 3 tones out of the Jazz bass, but only one sounds good.

Well I'll post pics of whatever bass I end up getting, thanks for the info on the Sterlings guys :)
  13. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I have to agree about the neck. Its the most comfortable neck ever made. Sometimes when Ive been playing my L2k for a while and then pick up my sterling, I rediscover why I love it so much. They are very awesome instruments!! Do check one out if you get the chance. Oh by the way I love the avatar. Mega Man was the coolest Though I cant remember what that guy with the sissors on his head was called. :D

Oh since were talking about sterlings heres mine:
  14. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Cutsman :)

That's the exact color I want, what color is that? Candy Apple Red? I think I might want maple though.
  15. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    How is the overall quality in the new Sterlings? I played a couple of new Stingrays in a music store, and they didn't sound or feel so good. They felt like 200 € Squier Affinity IMO. Could the old strings and bad setup affect that?
  16. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Old strings will MURDER a bass tone.
  17. Maybe a standard Jazz but not he upgrade with S-1 switch
  18. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    It's a cool bass, but I can't stop playing my Fenders.
  19. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Its translucent Red. Its so dark though you can barely see the wood grain underneath it.