1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did you buy your vintage bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Jul 27, 2012.

1. I'm curious. Also, note that the thread title is not "Why do you own a vintage bass." Slightly different. Really only interested in folks who purchased them after they became considered vintage so if you've had yours since 473 BC... I won't tell you not to post buuuuuuut... yeeeeeeaaaaaaaa :p.

2. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    Nostalgia. I wanted my first bass back, an old Gibson EB-1

3. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I bought my Triumph because I wanted one for a long time and they haven't been made for since the 70s. plus, I got a great price on it.

71triumph-1.

4. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Because i have always been into modern Basses and only after 15 yrs did i get the itch for Vintage, i wanted the "REAL DEAL". Once you get passed the splendor of owning a piece of history, you realize that while they generally sound great, there are many little things about them that arnt perfect. After owning a few vintage Fenders, ive come to appreciate luthiers who build vintage style basses with modern twists, best of both worlds...

A few years later you kick yourself for selling your vintage peices because the prices just keeping going up.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    In my case, the deal for my '76 P Bass was so good, I would've been crazy to turn it down - after playing it for a few days, I realized that it was also definitely a keeper...

- georgestrings

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    those are ridiculously great basses.

(I've had all my old junk since it was new, but I won't tell you that)

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I'd love to have one of those...

- georgestrings

8. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Not sure if 78 is vintage yet :bag:

But I bought my 78 P from a friend that had gigged it for years while I lusted over it. He had always had offers, but always turned them down. He fell on hard times (no job, losing house) so he offered it to me at an insane price. I jumped on it. But I also told him he got first option if he was ready to buy it back, or if I was ready to sell.

78 P, Maple Board, Natural finish, with nice player wear on the neck and body.

9. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    I wanted a P that had a certain feel that only the old ones have.

10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Bought a 76 fretless (I guess thats vintage???). Was shopping for a new fretless and 76 is my manufacture year too. Saw this popup on Ebay and didn't think the guy would take my offer but he did :help: So I had to sell some other stuff.

I remembered playing a maple p fretless years ago and really liking it. Fortunately the bass is great and plays/sounds better than I could have hoped as well as weighing less than 10 lbs.

So my answer is need/accident/and having a bass the same age as me l. Oh the bass looks pretty cool to me too.

DSCF1171.

11. I haven't bought one yet, but my wife knows I want one. She says it's because I like things older than I am (she's 2 yrs my senior)

12. bigalbass

bigalbass

Dec 12, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    About 10 years ago I was playing in a blues band and had put together a Warmoth P bass that I liked. A local blues bass player who was known for his 59 P offered me the chance to buy his backup bass, a 72 P. It blew away my Warmoth both in tone and feel. He gave me a good deal, and I have no regrets.

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    It wasn't vintage when I bought it.

14. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    cause they're kewl like that......:bassist:

Attached Files:

15. Then you didn't buy a vintage bass! :ninja:

16. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Always thought those were cool looking - how does that play? :) And while I'm at it, what was the model on that one again? lol

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Because I wanted a bass from my birthyear, 1956.

18. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I didn't plan on buying my '66 P bass - I just walked into a store, played a few notes and knew it was the one. Some basses just have that magic thump.

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I got great deals on both of mine. Really would've been straight up DUMB to pass on them (literally got both within 3 months of each other for under $1500 total- that's the price of a brand new US Fender).

Before I owned mine, I had played my buddy's 66 (matching) Fender P & Jazz basses when I used to be into new/custom basses, and I knew right then that vintage basses were for me. The bottom end on the P bass was something I couldn't replicate with my 4 different modern Fenders at the time.

There's something eerie and cool about someone who put their soul into a bass and then it's passed onto the next player. The dried out wood with battle scars. The crystal clear sounding pickups.

I own a 1962 P and a 1975 P. Both have been modded w/ aftermarket Jazz routes but are otherwise original (except the refin on the '62)

Fender1962Bass03.

Full.

20. Fell in love with it when I saw it online. Don't know - just knew I had to have it. Got it, and it played and sounded like nothing else I'd ever tried in a shop. I'm sure lots of modern instruments are great, and every one has its own character, and that's fine - but it's like asking why a rhino has rough skin: it just does.

And after that first Guild it's going to be hard for me to quit..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]