Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why did you change?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MicceO, Aug 18, 2004.

1. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    I would like to ask why those of you who have changed from another instrument to bass guitar have done it. Why did you say goodbye (did you?) to your previous instrument? And what was your instrument?

As for my self, I used to play classical guitar but there has been a few years interval now. So I pondered whether to start again or to do something completely new. I've always had a secret passion for BG and just one day I felt that now the time is ripe! Walked to a music store and bought a Fender Jazz (it is so lovely!!!) :bassist:

I believe that I can benefit from my earlief experience, for example in terms of technique. But the bass clef is turning my hear grey! :)

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I played some years of guitar but I always had the impression that I wasn't advancing and I felt unable to express myself on the guitar. Then I grabbed a bass and it felt like...home! I like the spot of bassplayer alot, instead of being the obligate show-off guitarplayer. I now feel that I am able to lay emotions and feeling into my instrument, which wasn't the case with the guitar.

3. widefat

widefat

May 2, 2004
    Tralfamadore
    Ex Guitar player, sort of.
    Started on Bass at 17. Switched to guitar at 19.
    Stopped playing from 25-35.
    Guitar from 35-40
    Switched back to bass at 40.

Reasons:
    Suck as a guitar player - always more into the groove and percussion.

Only reason I played guitar from 35-40 was I was asked to play in situations that already had bass players.

Can be more creative on bass. Think of how many bass lines can be built around one simple chord, as opposed to chord substitution.

I'm 6'6", 275lbs. I need to play something with a big bottom. I once was playing a MARTIN JUMBO, and an audience member asked a friend "what is that little guitar that guy is playing?".

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Played guitar from 14 - 19. Best friend and I kept trying to put a Iron Maiden band together around 1982. Couldn't find a bass played that could come close to playing Steve Harris. Finally said, I'll try bass cause we knew a ton of guitarists. Bought a p bass copy and I was hooked :) Traded off my Les Paul for a 72 model p bass and off I went. Bass always felt more natural, I "hear" music like a bass player and I don't like the spotlight as much as I like the groove.

5. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I started guitar at age 7 and quit at 16. Also played trumpet from age 10 to 18. When I turned 29, I picked both back up as a creative outlet but didn't feel I was accomplishing much. I've always been more of a rhythm guitarist than a lead. Also, I just didn't have the time to build up my chops and maintain them for trumpet to have the note range I needed.

I discovered that when I listen to music, I'm always humming and improvising bass lines, not guitar lines. A friend suggested I try bass (this was 3 years ago) and I have touched the guitar maybe 5 times since then.

The bass is home. Just wish it didn't take 32 years to discover that.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I started Sax in 4th grade because my school didn't teach stringed instruments. By the time I was 13 I convinced my folks that I *really* wanted to play bass and I wasn't changing my mind :bassist:

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I started on keys at two, making up my own stuff by around four. Stayed with piano from 6-11, when I picked up trumpet (didn't want to have to carry a baby grand in marching band! ;) ) Went on to play all brass plus percussion and clarinet for a week when the section leader sicked out. I was classically trained, and found this to be a slight PITA when I joined my first band. I was stuck in structure, and could not improvise worth a crap. After a year, I had "unlearned" the structure and retrained myself to think like a horn section. That helped. After a few years of playing keys, I had bought a synth, then it was obsolete, so I got another one. After dealing with the rapid obsolescence of gear, I heard Level 42 and decided to play bass. Nobody thought I would make it as a bass player, not even my mom. So now I play both at the same time, best of both worlds! :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, MicceO<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1609924", true); </SCRIPT> .:cool:

I started drums in my Dad's church when I was 12. Best friend(at the time) was 9, and started bass. Our church had split, and the musicians were among the 40% of the church that left.

My best friend and I would switch off occasionally, for the fun of it. He never did very well at drums, but within a few months I was playing bass as well as he was. He gradually stopped coming, and I would play the bass when he wasn't there.

Fast forward to age 14. Played drums at a fellowship meeting, and a preacher insulted my drumming from the pulpit, in front of everybody. I was crushed, and lost the ability to keep a steady beat on drums. Within a few months, I had switched to bass full time.
    Looking back, I did the right thing. Drums were a little unnatural feeling to me, but I took to bass immediately. Blessed with a good ear, I played in church the first time after only having been shown C, F and G on the bass, and practicing for 5 - 10 minutes. I had no problems following the changes, even when songs were in keys other than C.

Today, I play drums, guitar, bass, and am teaching myself piano. I am a competent rhythm guitarist, and can hold a good rock, funk, or waltz beat on the drums.

But bass is what I do well. It's what I am.

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Originally started on piano with my mom teaching me how to play, and at 13 I decided with a friend that we were going to start a band and I was going to play bass. I thought people like Geddy Lee and Sting looked so cool playing bass and singing at the same time. That never really panned out, and I later started guitar because I wanted to be cool like other guitar players. I had also always wanted to play drums, but my parents would never go for that. But then one day I literally just woke up and decided to go get a bass, and that was it.

I think the seed was planted when I was in first grade, when the school had a sort of music workshop one day where different musicians came in to showcase their instruments and playing for us little kids. I saw this guy with a gigantic violin-looking instrument, and when he started playing the Barney Miller theme for me I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Thanks guy (whatever your name is), you were the inspiration!

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I was in 4th grade I wanted to play the trumpet but instead I started on clarinet :eek: because my parents had bought one for my older brother (who had quit playing already; he eventually took up drums and blues harmonica). I lasted two years, long enough to learn both to read music and hate band directors :p

The Beatles and other Brit Invasion on the radio got me interested in playing rock and roll but it was hearing Jack Bruce with Cream when I was in 8th grade that got me interested in the bass.

When I was in high school my mom bought an organ for the living room and I got to take the free lessons that were part of the purchase price. Of course I was thinking along the lines of Deep Purple, Traffic and ELP while my teacher was thinking along the lines of Lawrence Welk. Learned to read bass clef and how to get around on both keys and bass pedals :cool:

One year after high school I joined the Army and with one of my first paychecks went out and bought a bass and amp...the rest is hysteria, I mean history :hyper:

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My primary instrument was piano. I switched focus to bass when I was a teenager, because there was no keyboard player in Iron Maiden. I play keys again now, but I still love the bass the most.

12. My folks made me take piano lessons in 3rd grade. I hated it. I started playing bass around 5th or 6th grade because I wanted to be Paul McCartney (I was thinking he must have had a hit out at the time but the only hits he had around that time were With A Little Luck and Coming Up- not exactly 'bass player songs' :meh: ), and I started playing guitar around 7th grade. There was a 4 year time period when I barely picked up the bass because I was quite busy playing guitar.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I started on the sax in 4th grade and played for several years. I quit because I got bored with it...before I knew about cool music with saxes...

I picked up the bass almost for the hell of it, and I'm really glad I did.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

when i was 5 my parents forced me to learn piano, but i sucked and i didnt like it, so i stopped. when i was 7 my parents forced me to learn piano again i got pretty good at it for my age but i stopped after a year. when i was 12, i went into the school jazz band and chose bass. then at 13, i tought myself guitar and started leaning more towards guitar. but the whole time bass was really my thing. now im 16(almost 17) and bass is what i play.

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I started out on the kazoo at age 7 and worked my way up to the recorder.............nevermind :oops: . Bass is my first "real" instrument.

16. I was almost the opposite. I started guitar, then quit 2 days later. My dad didn't show me how to tune it or anything. I then found out about RHCP, and I saw flea. I wanted be a bass player. Anyway, I had struck something. I was glad to be a bass player, but I always wanted something a little more.. then I picked up my dads guitar and started writing songs. It felt weird. I choose the songs I play on bass. It could be a Blink 182 song, or a Bach Sonata! But, I always get a gut feeling if I want to play bass in it or not.

17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I started on guitar and played a friends 5 string through an Ampeg SVT II Pro and 4x10. Was immediately hooked and haven't looked back. Now when I pick up a guitar, I think of it as delicate and fragile... I find bass a more expressive instrument overall and generally stick to the "less is more" blues mentality I learned on guitar (not that there isn't room for vicious chops, so I don't want to start anything...). I like the power - not only a loud instrument you can hear, but also feel. I have a moderately powerful amp (500W) which I like to play alongside my guitar players 30-40W amps) :cool:

I also really like the role bass plays in the band - I'm not the "get the glory" type and am just content standing in the back of the band laying it down.

18. I played piano for 2 years. I can still play, but it takes me awhile to read the notes. I wish I still continued learning. Cause 1 month after I quite I heard my first DT song, and I was blown away by the keyboards! But, I'm happy with my bass. I may buy me a nice little keyboard, and sorta teach myself keyboard.

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

It seems like many budding musicians start out as guitarists. I started taking classical guitar lessons as a teenager. When the teacher told me I had to grow my fingernails long on my plucking hand, my fragile, adolescent male ego went No Way Man! and I started playing drums in rock bands.

The drums were my main schtick until I sold my Pearls for peanuts after I got married.

I pretty much just sang bass in ensembles and noodled around on a home MIDI set-up. My "drum-set" was a Yamaha RY-30 (still got it, a neat drum machine).

About four years ago I started drumming again in a praise / worship band @ our church.

For some inexplicable reason, probably related mainly to a mid-life crisis and the fact that our band had no full-time bass player, I took up the bass guitar two years ago (if I could sing it, I could play it) and have really had some BIG FUN playing bass 3 weeks a month at church.

Like some other posters have pointed out, I should have done this a long time ago.

20. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I used to play violin, but I didn't think that classical music was my thing. So I wanted to play some rock instrument and I had friends that played guitar, drums and keyboard, but no one played bass so I took the bass and fell in love :D And at the time I was 11...