Why did you choose WARWICK?????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Jul 31, 2002.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    I have a warwick myself and i was just wondering why all you people out there that own warwicks choosed warwick over all the other basses. Post a pic too!!! :p
  2. I have chosen it (FNA Jazzman 5 fretted, my first bass, without trying it!!!) for these reasons:

- good shape
    - good reviews
    - good price
    - looked good on paper

I'm french and Corvettes are not so expensive here ...
  3. I was looking for a bass in NYC and went to Manny's...they had a 5-string Fortress that I picked up and played. Once I activated the preamp, I knew this was my bass.

Rest of the story: My wife and I were vacationing in NYC, we looked at several basses and I had decided on the Fortress. Wifey said 'Let's look around when we get back to Atlanta' so I did some checking in ATL...meanwhile, the wife called Manny's and had the bass I played shipped to Atlanta, and she surprised me with it before a gig! I almost hugged her to death! Been a Warwick fan ever since.:D
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I had a Lakland 55-94 that didn't fit me. The 35" scale and string spacing were bothering my wrist. A Streamer Stage I 4 string came up on bassgear, and I traded for it. Best trade I ever made. The SSI is now my #1 player out of 8 basses.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i got my thumb because i was first drawn to warwicks because a lot of the bass tones i really liked were warwicks. so after i tried one - i had to have one, and got a good deal on a new thumb neck-thru 5 in 98.

the only reason i sold it for my ss2 was for balance and ergonomics issues - it was killing my wrist and shoulder. the ss2 has fixed that and it has taken the place of best-bass-i've-ever-played.

planning on adding a 6 string streamer lx fretless (or something similar if it pops up used) and then probably a 4 string streamer stage 1 or lx.

does anyone else here, after playing warwicks for a long time, really not like lots of other high end basses. i've found that i'm used to a certain sound quality that seems to be unique to warwicks.
  6. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    It was in 1995 and I wanted to upgrade from my cheap jazz bass copy. I wanted a Warwick badly because I thought they had a killer look (curved bodies, oil finish) that no other bass had. At the time I didn't really care how they sounded, because every decent bass sounded a lot better than my Jazz copy anyway.

So I tried a Fortress 5 once and was decided to buy this model.

When I came back in the shop, the only Fortress they had was all black, and I wanted a natural look. They had this Thumb B.O. 5 string which was more expensive but had this "natural look". The salesman told me it had active electronics and blah blah... At the time I didn't know what was all this stuff. I tried it for a few minutes and bought it :

I have now better basses, but I'll never part with this one, because :

- It's my first "real" bass
    - They don't make them like that anymore (all wenge neck, bubinga body)
    - It has a unique voice

The weight and ergonomics are an issue, so you have to get used to the poor balance. However the problem can be fixed by adding an "extension" to the upper horn (which is too short by default). The guy on this page did it :

Also I think Thumbs make poor slap basses. The dark, nasal sound is great for fingerstyle but not so much for slap. The narrow string spacing doesn't help either. I'm sure there are other Warwicks that slap better.

Now It seems that Warwicks Thumbs are really hyped by the new metal / alternative scene. I don't really understand why because I always thought the Thumb was more of a Jazz - Funk bass.

7. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I bought my warwick because I couldn't stop myself from buying it once I played it.

I wonder why people think the thumb has no slap game to it, Norwood Fisher (fishbone) does alright in my book.
  8. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    hey what are some good fishbone songs that norwood does some cool slap in??
  9. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    I first heard the tone of a warwick 6-7 years ago. I was just getting started and my teacher at the time had a Corvette 4 and a dolphin pro 6, I got to try the 4 string and..Well it's hard to explain but I heard the sound from the amp and the room just started spinning. Since then I've been in love with these beautiful basses. I could afford a Warwick this saturday actually, a Corvette Standard 5-stringer. My first, my last, my everything :D

Here's an image!

10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    IMO that's the only bad thing about them - they're starting to get a late 90's Ibanez type vibe. but everyone who really knows what's up knows how great these basses are.

*geezer voice ON*

back in my day, when i got my warwick the only guys playing them were Stefan Lessard, Stu Zender, P-Nut, and Norwood Fisher.

*geezer voice OFF*

here's a pic of me with mine :)

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I think I have always wanted a Warwick since my early days of playing. Back then it was because I thought they looked sooo good in the magazine ads. As I began to hear more and more recordings (and discovering the bassist(s) was playing a Warwick,) I really started to like their unique tone.

So, overall, I would say that I chose to buy a Warwick because of the sound. They have that certain growl that other basses just don't have (IMO.)
  12. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    hmmm . . . norwood was playing warwick before your day, youngster ;)

ODM, check out the album truth and soul
  13. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    For me, it was very easy, i played a Squier P bass for about 6 months, and i chouldn't stand the neck, i got hand cramps, and i couldn't play for more than 5 mins without a break. I went around from store to store, playing basses for 5 mins, until my hand KILLED me. One day, i walked into a shop and saw a second hand Streamer LX-4, so i played it, FOR 30 MINS, with no hand cramps, and the tone, the punchy slap, warm "growl"... I was in love. I came back to the shop 2 weeks later, cash in hand, to find out that my love had found another man, so i bought a new one for a tiny bit more (i got a great price).

Here she is:
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh i know...it's just that within the past 3 years or so their popularity amongst people who are just playing whatever bass is percieved to rock the hardest has skyrocketed. it seems like every nu-metal turdbiscuit bassist has a warwick. makes me sad, them pounding on it and such :(

warwicks should be used for good, not evil!!!
  15. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    cuz I wanted it!

PS, I'd second the 'Truth and Soul' recommendation...
  16. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I think this trend has probably served Warwick well cause they are probably selling lots of basses to teens who just want the same bass as their favorite nu-metal bassists. But maybe it's not so good for the brand image among more seasoned players.

Warwicks have unique qualities to them. I can't speak for the newer models cause I've never tried them, but the brand has played a big role in modern bass evolution. I think have pioneered the use of Wenge for example.

17. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I chose my first because it was in the clearance pile (Warwick FNA 4). I chose my second because of the sound and wonderful woods (Warwick Corvette Standard). I probably needed a Thumb from the beginning, because it's sound was what I really needed. This is the future aim if I can possess multiple guitars. I sold the 'Vette mainly because of the weight and neck drop problem.
  18. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    I have a warwick streamer standard 5 string. Some people don't like them, but I think it sounds cool so :p
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I got a Streamer Stage I 5 for two reasons:

1) I wanted the (in)famous Warwick tone on my palette
    2) Nice wide string spacing

20. Waaaaaay back in 1991 in my first year of uni I started playing bass and got my first cheap, white, ugly Korean-made bass guitar. I also got a copy of the Guitar Player Buyer's Guide for that year for some serious drooling. In it was an article on Warwick with a nice picture of a 5-string Thumb neck-thru. All I could think of as soon as I saw it was "I want me one of them basses!" - it was just too beautiful.

Fast forward 4 years to the Parachute Music Festival in Matamata (NZ) and I get the opportunity to play a Fortress One at a retail stall. Love at first pluck - great tone, amazingly playable, I felt like I was instantly playing better. Later that month I find a second hand Fortress One at a reasonble price (although not actively seeking one) and make no mistake in acquiring it. Many happy hours ensue. :D

Fast forward another 2 years and I come across an ad in the local Trade & Exchange mag for band equipment. Hidden at the end is "Warwick Thumb Bass" for ridiculously low price (Bass is insured for twice what I payed 5 years ago). Ring up and find out it's a 5-string neck-thru from 1990 [que: Twilight Zone music]. Go and check it out - dull stings, dead battery, but still in great condition, just the unfortunate victim of a messy divorce settlement. :( Happily pay the asking price and haven't been able to wipe the grin from my face for the last 5 years. :D

I've been asked by some whether I prefer my Fortress or my Thumb, and I'd have to say that for a versatile bass in most playing situations, the Fortress has it in spades. However, there's nothing like the Thumb's "growl". They really are two very different animals, but if I had to use just one, it'd probably be the Fortress. I must admit I like my old Warwicks (the Fortress is 1994 vintage) a lot more than the current models I've tried. Don't honestly know if I'd go Warwick if I, heaven forbid, had to replace them.

Hope I didn't bore you all too much. ;)