Why did you get a Warmoth/USA Custom Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 25, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Everyone

What was your reasoning for buying the parts to make a bass from Warmoth or USA Custom as opposed to buying a preassembled bass of that design.Share your story with us.Thanks :)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I haven't yet, but I'm considering it soon...

Mostly my reasoning is to get something that looks and feels familiar with the option of getting features that aren't in production.

For example (not bass...but) Telecaster, front and back body binding, forearm and tummy cuts with a baritone neck. Bluesy, good looking, and DEEP :) Only problem is it'll cost me more than a USA Deluxe Tele :)
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    My reasoning was that I wanted a quality jazz bass with certain specs that the Fender Custom Shop was not willing to do (this was several years ago). I wanted a bass made from high-quality components and wanted it assmebled by an experienced professional...an expert when it comes to nut work, fret work, action, set-up, etc. While I ended up with a fantastic bass, I actually spent as much, if not slightly more, than I would have had I purchased a "name brand" jazz bass (the "name" must be omitted due to the new commercial user policy). While I'm extremely happy with my jazz and the parts that I got from USACG, if I had to do it all over again, I would definatley just go with the "name brand" bass which will retain a much higher value than a "no-name USACG" bass build by that same builder.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Because it was fun to assemble a bass, and back when I did it a birdseye maple neck with lined ebony board was not an option on a P-bass. ;)

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Nicer components, some different options (as tplyons alluded to), and a great experience learning how basses go together, setting them up, and having "my own custom bass." Resale is not the issue with me, or I would have a well known luthier make my bass. It was more about getting the features I like in a jazz, while somehow "getting more."

I love my Warmoths and my USACG basses. I will own more in the future (see avatar...)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I'll be pulling the trigger on my Warmoth in the spring (see my GAS list).

My main reason is that I wanted to have a high-end custom instrument at a fraction of the price. I've always been a " do-it-yourself" kind of person and have built all kinds of electronic devices..building my own 6 string would be a perfect, natural extension.

In addition, there's also the satisfaction of being able to proudly say "yeah, I built it myself" to admiring onlookers. :smug:
  8. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Have you given up on a Dolan? I think that's a mistake.
  9. I wanted the experience of putting together an instrument with high quality parts and the fun of being able to show it off if it turned out right (which it did). I also wanted to have a bass to tinker with i.e. swapping necks and electronics.

The Warmoth route isn't the cheapest way to go, but I still got value for my money. I saved a few bucks by doing the finishing my self, as well as nut slotting and assembly.

Then there's the excitement of not knowing how it will sound until it's assembled. Both of my Warmoths sound great, one is a 4 string fretted and the other is a 4 string fretless. I do have an extra goncalo alves/pau ferro neck lying around. I learned that I prefer a maple neck and ebony fingerboard.

No, just wanted to know the reasons people go for Warmoth/USA Custom basses.
  11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    THe reason I did it is because I wanted exactly what I wanted. Warmoth allowed me to deal with shapes, styles, colors of wood, types of wood, and everything else. While I did have my neck custom made by Modulus. I have a Arch Top Dinky P made from White Korina. I get a lot of looks with this bass. I was able to put the kind of Pups I wanted and the kind of bridge too. I was not limited to anything. I could shop for pricing and spend as much or as little as I wanted to. I was able to afford the "Best" for me in my own time and complete it. All in all a great experence and one that I will most surly take on again. :D
  12. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I built a Warmoth bass when I decided I would try out fretless bass. I found the experience to be great and had a very nice fretless bass. I decided to stick with fretted shortly after and sold the bass, but I would do it again if I had the opportunity.

If you going to get a figured top how do you feel about not getting to see it before you get it on a new body?.

15. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    The "James Rogers" bass on this page is my current Warmoth GAS.
  16. i wanted a 5 string version of my old fender geddy lee but didn't have a boat load of money to spend. $1200 later... a slightly modified version of it. :D

it would have been cheaper but i didn't do any of the work myself. maybe someday.
  17. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, I haven't built one yet, but I ordered my first Warmoth catalog 20 years ago (I'm in Norway, so dealing across the pond at that time was less than obvious). :D

I know I will build one, at one time in my life. When I do, it will mainly be because I want to have the pleasure of assembling a bass myself. I'm not capable of building my own bass from three logs of wood, but I am capable of assembling a Warmoth/USACG.

I will get a bass that has "my" trademark, where I've done a bit of the work and can honestly say I "built" the bass myself (in the same way as kids can say the build their Brio and Lego toys :D ), and I have full control of the various choices. :)

Since I will not sell that bass (either), the lower aftermarket value doesn't concern me too much. :)
  18. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    but you didn't really "build" it yourself. you got a bunch of pieces already made (neck, body) and put them together.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Since very few (if any) of us are luthiers, "build" in this forum's context equates to "assemble". None the less, we will have a finished product that is a result of our own hard work instead of selecting one from a catalog or off the shelf, and can be guaranteed that no one else will have an identical bass. Your point is noted, but borders on minutia, imho.
  20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Even if you're using Warmoth parts, by definition, it's still "building"

But, what's the difference anyway? :)