Why did you get rid of your Walkabout? Stop me before it's too late!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Apr 29, 2004.

1. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    Well I've finally gotten to try some bass heads for the first time in my life. I've been to every music shop within 300 miles. I've tried GK, SWR, Mesa, and Eden. The sound that seems to fit me the best is the Mesa Walkabout.

I'm getting ready to spend my money on this 13-pound wonder. I don't think I've ever seen a single negative comment about the Walkabout on this forum. But tell me...if you've gotten rid of a Walkabout, why have you done so? Do any dangers await me? :bassist:

My Adventures Choosing a Rig So Far
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was down to getting either a Walkabout or a Eden WT-400 when the WT-550 came out.

I'm very happy with my Eden, but I was *very* impressed with the Walkabout. Most comments I've heard have been favorable.
  3. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    thats funny.... Im interested in getting rid of my ampeg B2R for a Walkabout. That little guy's sound is sooo damn great after only a minute or futzing around with the knobs. Im still messing with my slides and knobs on the ampeg and i cant get as good a sound as the Mesa. So Im interested in what people say aswell.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mine's pretty sweet too.

I don't think you can go wrong with this amp. It rules. RULEZ!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Walkabout is a great head. I did end up selling mine however. I found that flat it sounded great, but if I wanted to add any low end it quickly became muddy. I ended up buying a Euphonic Audio iAMP350. I am more into Jazz and R&B, so the super clean hi-fi tone works best for me.
  6. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    but if you're in a rock/pop-punk band that plays clubs with PA support and the lead singer is the last to show up so he doesnt have to help load/unload or have to walk 5 city blocks in the cold the Walkabout should suffice, no? I loved the warm grindy tone it gave out when i hooked up a Mesa 4x10 at my local guitar shop. I could just imagine what 2 Aguilar Gs112s would sound like.......mmmmmmm