1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why did you pick bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ScenicRoute, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ScenicRoute

ScenicRoute

Dec 30, 2008
    This is for all of you out there who originally started off playing another instrument. What did you start off playing and why did you decide to switch to playing bass?

For me I started off playing guitar but I would just treat it as a bass so I figured why not play bass? Plus I noticed I was always tuning into what the bass player was doing from a younger age and well; here I am.

PsyDocHill likes this.
  2. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    I was just always attracted to the bass, i remember going to shows and watching the bassist the whole time. but i could not play bass a first because well my parents wanted me to play trumpet, so i played that for a while saved my pennies and bought my own. the rest is history

PsyDocHill likes this.
  3. cbt

cbt

Mar 27, 2009
    i started out with guitar played for years - then when in school a cello : lol - little down the road
    then my friends would come by with their gear every friday and saturday and sometimes during the week-day that played

so we had 3 people that wanted to play guitar, had a drummer and so i got volunteered, now i cant put it down and have kinda lost interest in the guitar

unless i go to a friends house and he turns on his marshall stack, then i have to play it, that thing sounds so good that i cant help myself

i play for my own entertainment and for fun though, never really performed in front of people other than if they came by to party, (in my younger days), and or listen to us play, but i try to play at least a couple hours a day

now im wanting a fretless for some reason

well theres part of my story

cheers

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I had tried violin, clarinet, guitar, and a few other instruments for a short period of time at the insistence of my dad, and he made me take lessons. I HATED music for a long time. Then I decided to try bass, by myself, with no one bugging me or making me learn things I don't want to. I have been playing it longer than I played any other instrument by far and am much more proficient. I might have stuck with one of those other instruments had my dad not pushed so much.

5. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    The sound,feel,versatilaty and overall appeal is what drew me to my two 4-stringed friends. I can be smooth in one bar then really put you in the pocket the next then before you know it i'm playing some stanky funk then i walk it off so to speak. THAT'S WHY!

6. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    because i used to do alot of 'cid and x
    when you're on either (or both, on a crazy night)
    all you lock into when your hands are on the speakers is the bass
    it goes through your body
    you hear it
    you feel it
    you SEE it
    someone hurry, rub my back and lemme watch some glow sticks
    pretty, accurate, huh
    bet you're suprised that i've never done them,
    just listened to my friends that did it
    but no, i bought one b/c i saw manson live and twiggy rocked out on it
    my friend bought a guitar and said "buy a bass, it's not hard to learn, it's only got 4 strings"
    been in love w/ it since
    WORD

7. Because I thought most bass players sucked and I could do a better job.

8. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I picked the bass because I found it easy to play - I wanted to be in a band and figured I could probably get in a band quicker by playing bass rather than any other instrument

that's not what some people like to hear, but it's a fact... I'd like to think its because had some inherent suitability for the bass, but it's equally likely it appealed because of how easy rock bass generally is

9. ^ bahahahaha

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I'm half deaf. (probably worse now)
    Bass is something you can feel.
    I remember my cousin playing at a family party when I was really young and the bass pounding in my chest.

11. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I started on piano, and over the years have also played violin, clarinet, saxophone, classical guitar, steel-string acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and finally bass guitar. I want to tackle double bass eventually, as well. For me, it's just another tool in the musical toolbox. I enjoy playing bass more than any other instrument (I even have a bass clef tattoo on the inside of my wrist), but the main reason I switched to bass was mostly that, as a pro musician, it's a lot easier to find work as a bassist than as a guitarist, and even easier if you can double up (or triple up, LOL).

I find that I listen to bass lines when I listen to music, and I have always liked heavy strings. I get my bass technique from classical guitar. It seemed like a natural progression to me: I always played more rhythmically than melodically, I think, and as far as guitar string gauges, I went from 10s to 11s to 12s to 13s and when I finally was stringing up with 14s, I figured I might as well give bass a shot, and bought a used MIA Fender 5-string Jazz, though I still considered myself a guitarist. About a year later, the bassist of my band at the time decided to sell his Spector NS-5 and gave me a KILLER deal, mostly because I think he didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell it online and then ship it. I was teaching guitar professionally at the time and traded some guitar lessons for bass lessons with another teacher at the shop where I worked, and within three years, I joined a working band as a bassist and never looked back.

[​IMG]

:bassist:

12. free-bass

free-bass

Mar 26, 2009
    Bass chose me...
    I started learning guitar when I was about 15. Played mainly rock and metal in those days. Then some years later I was at a friend's band-room with the rest of the crew. Some guys were just jammin' out, I joined in, the guy playing bass put it down after a while, I picked it up and still haven't put it down.

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Because I played bass with a really good drummer when I was first starting to play bass. I still thought of myself as a guitarist waiting for a gig. But the first time I felt that thing with the drums, and when I realized the subtle power of the bass, I was hooked. It's very much a "lead without being the leader" thing. The chord doesn't have identity until the bass plays- The guitar can put out all the C, E, and G they want, it's still going to function like Amin7 if I decide it is. And the groove thing...

jte

14. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    I started out on trombone and baritone in grade school. When I reached high school I joined the jazz band which had a supple supply of horns, but no bassist. I approached the teacher who taught me how to play. Oh, plus John Entwistle, Flea ,and Primus

15. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I'm not sure if I really count because I never really played it, but at the time I was really young and had a curfew, and wanted to stay up as late as I could. It was the end of a Summer vacation, and I thought up an excuse to talk to my mother strictly so I could stay up later. I decided that I "had wanted to play electric guitar the whole Summer, but never even had the chance" :rolleyes: But before I could even get that bass, I started to feel around music with less interest in lyrics then music. Because of this, I was able to listen to more diverse music, and at this point, heard the complexity that bass was able to bring to music. Simple Bootsy bass lines that can have their complexity built on, Stephen Fimmers and his intense speed and movement, and even the very very basic bass in Gorillaz songs such as Feel Good Inc. Every bassist had an important task it seemed, be it simple or difficult to accomplish, all with one instrument somewhere between 4 and 6 strings (I didn't know about erbs). Yup, that's my story. I decided guitar just wasn't good enough. Sure there's rhythm guitar and complexity in lead, but even then, I much more prefer the feel of the bass. :hyper:

16. I always liked listening to bass, and now I'm getting older (40's), wanted something to do to keep my mind active.

Seriously though as I was reading talkbass in preparation for my first purchase, I saw this video ( )

Only after that and doing more research did I truly see what a versatile instrument it is.

17. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    cos i'm a failed guitarist. /thread:D

18. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Piano. Hated it
    Liked the look of someone playing with their fingers instead of pick.
    Wanted to hold that low power in my hands and make things shake.

19. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Fame, money and chicks...

:smug:

20. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    I didn't pick bass I've always played fingerstyle... lololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, really. Because my brother played guitar and we didn't have room for a drum kit.