Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why did you sell your Aguilar gs112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, May 29, 2004.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I had been wondering about this then i saw a topic like this in the for sale section. For a while i have been interested in having a smaller cab for my room and small projects so can leave my 410 at my practice space and just take my rack back and forth. The agi seems like a great choice at the 300 used price they have been going for but it seems like a few have been poping up every day! Were those cabs just another trend that people are getting tired of?

-Jason Smith

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    The Aggies are great little cabs but, in my situation, I found a small cab that I like better with a built in rack space -- one trip instead of two when I take it out the door.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The "moderators" will tell you to do a search, that this has
    been discussed over and over.

My take is this:

Everyone quit posting and just do a search and read.
    Whaddayathinkthisisanonlinebulletinboardorsomething?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    bottom line,

people are just selling them, just like anything else gets sold these days.

if anything, a person should be happy! they're killer little cabs for a variety of situations, and to be able to get a pair of boutique built 1x12 cabs for SOOOO little is an opportunity, not to be questioned, but to be pounced on! :p

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm selling mine, as this was in my thread, ( ;) ) because I need more stage volume. I did some research in some BP back issues, and a 1x12 cab has 80 square inches of cone surface area, where a 1x15 has 130 sq.in. So, instead of having 210 sq. in., I'll have 260, which is like having a whole extra 10" speaker. I just remember my old Diesel 2x15 being so freakin' loud it was unbelievable, and that's what I want again for my current rig. The Aggy GS112 is the perfect small cab, as advertised. I just need something more than a small cab!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a proportional thing. Those things sell like popcorn. As one of the most insanely popular cabs on the market, of course you'll see a lot of them.

Don't question people selling their Fender or Ampeg stuff, right?

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Just keep in minds those are just one spec... they hardly tell the whole story.

Your Diesel was loud because it was well designed, well built with very nice drivers. You could find a cab of the same physical measurements that might not even come close.

Cone surface is one of those almost pointless numbers we seem to get bogged down with. An Aguilar 2-10 has the same cone area as a Carvin 2-10 which has the same cone area as a Nahas 2-10. Guess what?;)

All things being equal... all things aren't equal.

:bassist:

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

This is true. The fact that they're selling for about the same thing I paid new for mine a couple of years ago is a good thing. If they were selling for 80% off retail I'd be a bit skeptical.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    True, but it's still going to help me out as far as stage volume goes, and that's what I'm looking for. :) I'll definitely give you that having 2 Mesa cabs over 2 Carvins is going to be a big difference.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

If you say so. My experience is far from yours. I had a big Trace Elliott rig. Big 1-15 and 4-10 that I know couldn't hang with my current Nahas tiny 1-15 and 1-12 rig. I have nowhere near the cone area... not even close.

Cone area doesn't automatically help stage volume... unless other issues are addressed. If it did, you could get onstage with a Carvin 1-15 and 4-10 and spank your Diesel.

:meh:

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

But what do Nahas (never heard of them) cabinets run? If we're talking about top of the line boutique equipment, that's thousands of dollars list per cabinet, well yeah I'd hope it'd do better than my $300 Mesa. :) Anyhow, it's what I can afford right now, and my old 2x15 was a dream, so I'm getting a Powerhouse version. :)

12. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I see posts like this all this time, and I can understand it to a certain degree, but consider this:

New people are always joining this forum. While the answer to this question may be in an old thread, perhaps some folks who have recently joined may have some valuable input to offer on this question. Since they were not members when the old thread was active, they never had a chance to contribute.

So I think if you have answered this question before and don't want to answer it again, then just ignore it. But let the question be asked again so that the opinions of the newer members can also be heard.

Witness how a valuable thread has here been produced despite the fact that "someone has already asked this question."

More opinions = better. JMHO.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My Nahas cabs were ~$300 each when I got them about a year ago. They're more now but hardly thousands. Top of the line doesn't always mean super expensive;)

Remember, I'm commenting specifically on this cone area thing you're on, not brand choices;)

14. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I apologize that this is completely off topic from the thread... but where exactly do you get Nahas cabs? I was told to email him, which I did, but was never able to get any further than finding out he doesn't work with 10" speakers. How much would a 1x12 go for now?

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Hmm... Maybe I'd have to do a volume-off with ya on that one then. ;) A dual 15" Mesa rig with a high-powered amp is tough to beat from what I've found. I had my old 2x15 in my dorm room about 2 years ago back when I lived on campus, and one night someone asked me to turn it up, like really, and just hit a chord. I lived in the second to last room on the right in this hallway. I played a chord, maybe a D on it. A few minutes later, a guy from 8 rooms down came over and asked if something really loud just came from down here, as I knocked a picture off his wall and broke it. :) If that doesn't qualify as sheer cut-through power, nothing does. One of the best music experiences of my life! :D

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    When I was in college my roommate and I put a Univox 1-15 cab in the window and hooked it up to my stereo and played music so we could hear it on the quad. Within about 15 minutes the local police showed up... they had complaints from townsfolk... about a mile away.

Sound travels. Resonant frequencies can do strange things.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm not sure Joey is still building, at least for people he doesn't know. I guess listening to people waste his time and saying they could buy Eden, Ampeg, SWR, etc. for about the same money just really got old.

I understand him not using tens as main speakers. In his designs the difference in kick between tens and twelves is amazing. I have two of his twelves and one fifteen and I haven't tried anything I like more so far in a similar size. On the larger scale, he had a pair of high power 2-12 cabs that got ridiculously loud while still having great tone. The person who ordered those apparently backed out and he was stuck with them, I tried them out with a Navigator preamp and 3K series QSC amp and I didn't have the nerve to attempt to hit their limits.

I like having functioning ears and they sounded dangerous.

18. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    That's really too bad.... boo and :spit: :mad: to the jerks who tried to play him with the "why are you so expensive" deal. That's just plain rude, to say the very very least. :scowl:

And besides, if they got his email addy from talkbass (like I did), they should know that he has great stuff. What a shame. anyway... I'm done buying stuff in terms of my rig (for now) so while I'm not completely torn, it still really sucks that there's no longer the Nahas option for friends (so i can try them for free!!) or whenever I decide to get more gear. :meh:

:D :D :bassist:

As for the original question (sorry the other stuff was off topic), it seems that a lot of the people are selling their 1x12 aggie's because they're not loud enough. I'd say for small projects/jams, it'd be a good choice based on the cost, size and portability. Good luck!!

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Running two GS-112s is the key IMO. Big difference between that and just one.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    my take on his is that there were a lot of REALLY good reviews on these cabs and people bought them like hotcakes having blwon up expectations...they are after all, 112's...but they are great soundign cabs...i'm thinking of picking up a pair of them so i don't have to lug around my eden d410xlt and d115xlt cabs...god, those things are heavy