1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Did You SELL Your SansAmp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Nov 15, 2006.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I think I've finally grown out of my Programmable Bass Driver.

My amp head (a Gallien-Krueger 2001RB) and my other pedals handle all of the sounds I want, often doing exactly what I used the SansAmp for, but with more satisfactory results. At this point, My PBDDI only gets used as a single-channel "Ampeg SVT" emulator, and not much else (I'm not really using the other channels anymore).

It's not that I don't like the SansAmp - I just find myself more satsified with my head and my other pedals now.

I'm thinking about selling it, but I'm not sure yet. I might even replace it with an RBI later (since I'll be getting a 6-space rack in the future, and I'll have an extra space anyway). The thought of selling it brought up a question in my head that I hadn't asked before.

For those of you who owned a SansAmp Bass/Para Driver or other SansAmp pedal... why did you sell it? If you bought one again, why?

I think that, for all the love these pedals get (and rightfully so, IMO), someone's gotta play the devil's advocate :D

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Had a Sansamp BDI (just the DI) and sold it because I didn't need another DI.

Got a Sansamp BDDI and it made me realize that what I love is the clean growl of the GK.

Then I tried the MXR M-80 and made the same conclusion. No external preamps for me. I'm all GK baby!

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sold mine, then bought another 2 days later. The sound is very useful, and it's a great DI. I use it for fattening my guitar sound as well. Good stuff.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    right now, i'm in a sort of limbo-state: i have a PBDDI and an RBI. i won't really be needing both that much, and i usually only use one channel on the PBDDI, plus i could use the space on my pedalboard, so i'm thinking of ditching the PBDDI and keeping the RBI.

that being said, if i happen to get another gig or two that require drastically different sounds on the fly, the PBDDI'd be a good thing to have. also, if i go jam with someone with their own bass rig, or otherwise rehearse without my own equipment (ie, hourly rehearsal space), it's good to have "my" preamp sound to bring along so conveniently. i'll think i'll just keep it.

tech 21 does rock, after all.

5. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Sansamp BBDI
    Bought it because I needed a DI. Kept it because I liked the sound. Stopped using it because I realized I liked the sound of my regular amp alot more. Tried using it some more and found it just killed my sound.

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    To get the programmable one. which, then came off my board and sat in it's box for 6 months and is now back on my board again- (for now). and I'm living in denial of the fact that although it does make my tone "better" (?) I can no longer hear the tone of "my" bass.
    My entire board died on me theweekend before last and I ended up going clean :)eek: :eyebrow: :) :bassist: ) for almost two hours... ...I don't think this has happened since 1993.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, I haven't sold mine, but I use my PBDDI solely for the heavy drive settings at the moment. I switch it off for my clean sound.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sold to get the RBI. Need to get another BDDI for emergencies or gigs where I'm forced to use ****house backline (happened twice in the last two months).

9. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

traded it for a traynor ts-50b.

will probably buy another eventually. to make my practice amp sounds like the ts-50b of course.

10. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    It just sounded too modern/sterile for my likes! I also missed some mid-control. And yes, D.Tulip, I know there's a paradriver ;) but it still sounds too sterile to me!

11. /subscribes/

12. I sold my SansAmp RBI because i found a preamp i had wanted for ages, otherwise i would still have it!

13. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    sold RBI because it sounded unnatural and didn't let my bass's natural sound come through... more of an effect than a DI or preamp.. very coloring..

14. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i've been thinking of getting rid of my PBDDI too. it just doesnt do anything for me anymore. i'd rather have my own clean sound straight into my amp. the only real setting i do use is for the drive settings. although, i still am thinking of keeping it just in case.

15. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I use mine as a DI mainly. In church, I bring it instead of an amp or anything. :)
    I like the BDDI as a total tone changer as a preamp too, like having an extra channel. Have my amp set to a nice aggresive slap tone (cause that's what I do mainly) and set the BDDI to mellow out that tone. Works great for that.

16. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1 This is exactly where I'm at.

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Not quite the same sit as you, but I traded my PDDI in towards a footswitch for my POD. After getting the POD, having the PDDI (or any other effects for that matter), just seems a little redundant IMO. Oh, and I've been going for a little more of a "this is what my bass sounds like" sound recently too, which is what I think of when I hear GK :D

:bassist:

18. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I sold my SansAmp BDDI last year because I bought a POD and I thought I liked the sound of the POD better.

Now I'm not so sure!

I think it's best used as a DI straight into the board, without an amp (as its name explicitly states: "sans amp" ;)) since it's a miked amp emulation pedal at heart - using it in front of an amp could muddy things up too much or overcolor the sound, depending on how clean and transparent your amp rig is (and also your personal taste, as the SansAmp does color your sound in a certain miked-amp, rock-ish way which is not everyone's taste.)

19. DMX

DMX

Mar 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    I sold my BDDI because I prefered the clean sound of my amp, didn't like the overdriven sound at all and never really needed it as a DI (soundmen always prefer their own). So it sat in its box for a year and a half until somone offered me lots of money for it.

20. Hi Boo, you and I have almost the EXACT same setup ...(you know that) so I know where you are coming from. I was going to sell it but I did not for one reason. If I need to do a quick DI recording into my computer or something it is the easiest pedal to use and sounds better than the DI on the 2001RB. Also, I keep it on my board for back up. If my amp blows or has an issue during a show I can quickly have the sound guy put my BDDI into the sound board and I can play direct through it as an amp...sounds suprisingly very good. So I kept mine for backup reasons...great little pedal to have hanging around...:cool: