Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why did YOU sell your Schroeder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Mar 16, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    to those of you who purchased Schroeder cabs and sold them...why??

2. I will be keeping my 1210R but selling my 1212R when I receive my 21012L.

I love the sound of my 1210R, and purchased the 1212R to get some additional low end for larger gigs (it does that wonderfully, but I miss a little bit of the 1212 punch). My feeling is that the 21012L will do this even better (more low end than the 1210R plus more punch than the 1212), and will actually be slightly lighter than my 1212R.:)

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I had a 1210, worst sounding cab I ever bought!! Definitely not in the top tier of bass cabs IMO.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Reefer, what was it you did not like about your cab specifically?

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  6. I noticed on another post you use a Walter Woods Ultra. I do not like the Schroeder WWULtra match-up at all (it brings out the worst in the Walter's somewhat compressed low end and the particular voicing of the treble in that amp IMO). However, in our recent couple of GTG's the Schroeder1210 with a Thunderfunk matched up very well to virtually every other cab we A/B'd against (Berg, Epi, EA, Ag, Sad, etc) regarding bottom, general tone, and volume.

However.. like any piece of gear, they aren't for everyone... but you general negative comment would be more helpful put in some sort of context:)

Edit: I just saw your previous post... that is how I would describe the Schroeder line with the Ultra... just not a good matchup. Totally different deal with a TF, Eden, and even a Focus IMO.

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Tried it with the Ultra, DB750, and the Thunderfunk 550.

8. Hmmm.... we all hear things differently. I absolutely love the tone of my 1210R with the TF... as did virtually everyone who heard it...
    However, there are rigs that other people rave about on TB and that I just don't hear what they are talking about... so I guess that's why there's all these choices.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad that I could be there to force the inclusion of that qualifier, Ken! :p

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've got a 1210 and 1212, and I'm going to sell one of them, only because I can't justify owning both. I don't have any gigs that require that kind of power. I haven't decided which I prefer yet, but both sound fantastic. I've played both in practices/jam sessions and at small gigs, and they always kill. Everything I do cuts right through (which isn't always to my benefit :smug:). Once I decide which is a better fit for me, I'll sell the other, but only because I simply don't need both. It'll be a tough decision, and I'll sure be sorry to see it go!

11. I actually remember you and Pat being quite impressed and quite surprised:confused: .. and Vic and Mikebass (on other ocassions) were just blown away... especially Mikebass on a gig.

Can't quite figure out your negativity to these.... the AB's at your house seemed to really open up many TBer's eyes to these amazing little cabs. To say that the tone is not totally to your liking makes sense to me... but the above description of the sound is strange to me?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [broken record on]

dare i say, sounds like the speakers needed breaking in?

[broken record off]

i too was expecting to hate the 1210 i tried, especially after the Schroe superduper thread. and yet, i thought they were awesome for the aggressive, kick out the jams kinda sound. soft and pillowy like a berg HT112 it was not.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh, it did sound better than I expected, but it wasn't one of my favorites by a long shot.

My only quote was that I was not one of the masses who "loved" this combination. Why is that confusing? I thought I've been pretty consistent in that regard. :confused:

Tom.

14. My impression of the Schroeder cabs was that they put their efforts into reproducing the part of the bass sound that ends up getting heard, after the rest of an obnoxious band gets in the way. So, in that sense, they are extremely practical for someone who plays with an obnoxious band and wants to "win" the fight for sonic space.

That was not my situation, so they didn't appeal to me.

15. +1.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    + a meelion

small cab solutions for the guy in that obnoxious band. :p

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey tough guy,

how did you like 1212 w/ the 1210? would you have gone w/ a second 1210 instead if you had the chance?

just curious...

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Now, that I think about it, I actually recall several people (myself, Pat, Tim Cole) were even more impressed (tonally, at least) when you switched to your 4 ohm HT210S.

Tom.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Are you saying that an HT112 is 'soft and pillowy?' :confused: That's rather different than how I hear the HT112...

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    after listening to a Schroe for an hour, EVERYTHING starts to sound soft and pillowy. ;)