1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why did you start playing bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Aug 21, 2019.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    In my case, I wanted to entertain. But, I found I was less skilled in anything else.

I actually got away with it...for a while...

2. Biffa

Biffa SUSPENDED

Apr 16, 2019
    I just LOVE Bass, pure and simple

3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Bass is my natural instrument. I was just in denial for nearly 40 years and kept playing guitar. :)

4. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm a living cliche.
    Friends in school wanted to start a band as a way to get girls.
    Two guys already had some basic guitar skills...and actual guitars.
    One guy reckoned he could do drums as he liked hitting stuff.
    Me? I took the intelligent approach that bass had to be easier...4 strings, no chords, yes please. Also, it's cooler.

No regrets here.

5. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    I listened to Black Sabbaths "Paranoid" album. That day I knew what my destiny was. That said, if it was really my destiny, you'd think I'd be better at it.

6. I played a little guitar, banjo, keys, & horn. Bass was my 1st love but it just took some time for us to find each other!

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Played guitar and sax in high school. While in college was offered audition as bass. Took job and six months in I realized what a great spot in rhythm section bass occupies. Never looked back.....Just started playing guitar again btw

8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    The role as bass player suits my personality. Never wanted to be center of attention, but sure wanted to be standing next to whoever was.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Wisebass, slapshot, Markzts and 12 others like this.
  9. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    Paul

10. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    I didn’t take up the bass until I was almost 59 years old. My wife was/is the pianist for our church praise team. She was lamenting the fact that the bassist had quit. I told her I would give it a go since I had just retired and needed yet another hobby. I’m 64 now and have become a fair to midlin bassist. Always a prog rock type of guy who loved the bass lines in that type of music, I’ve shown amazing restraint when playing the contemporary christian genre! I used to supervise technicians for a petroleum control lab and as such was able to work on instrumentation. I’ve become very good at rescuing old basses in need of some TLC. I’ve “helped” Warwicks, Fenders, American Peaveys, Carvins, Ibanez, Laklands, a surprisingly fantastic Westone, among others. I’m currently trying to rectify some poor decisions someone made on a mid 70’s Musicmaster Bass. My problem is I’m increasingly reluctant to sell them once I’ve put them right! I just finished up a Lakland Skyline I don’t really want to return to the owner!

11. Went to a buddies house in high school who was supposed to teach me guitar. Saw his bass. I told him nah I wanna play THAT. Sure I still picked up guitar through the years, along with drums, keyboards, DAW studio stuff, and DJing, but I really only play bass anymore. It is my #1. The other stuff is still fun but I love playing bass.

Ulitmately, I think the bass lines in motown and 70's music are what I fell so hard for :cool:

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    When I was in jr high I started playing bass because one note at a time made sense to me. I had played alto sax in elementary school and couldn't wrap my head around the idea of mentally processing up to 6 notes at a time to play chords. I hadn't considered chords as shapes and that you didn't necessarily need to know the names of every note you were playing at all times.

13. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    A family friend gave me a 12 string guitar, and a bass amp. Then offered to sell me a Kay EB-3 style bass for $25 (this was the mid-70s). Another friend at the time was learning guitar, and encouraged me to play bass.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    This and only this.
    (Wanted to wear cool hat like that guy....)

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I have no idea. It’s just something I always felt drawn to and wanted to do. And it’s something I’ve done for 55 of my 64 years.

16. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow

Aug 6, 2019
    I do consider myself a vocalist.

I play guitar and bass because in a band situation that's just one less a-hole to have to deal with.... (I'm usually the biggest one anyway)

17. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I sucked at guitar and I could already read bass clef.:woot:

18. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Junior High summer jazz band camp didn't have a bass player. I had a few years of piano lessons at that point and had played electric guitar a year so I knew how to read bass clef and how to translate that to frets. And I knew the 8th grade trumpet players would get the chairs, not me as a 7th grader. So I said I could play. They asked why I didn't bring it, and I said I thought an 8th grader would be playing. They said noone else was there, and it was mine for the asking. I then asked my band director to use my high school's bass guitar. He said he didn't know I played bass. I said I didn't either and smiled. He understood and we went to get the bass and amp. I taught myself during the week of band camp, played the concert, and the rest is history. I learned early as a young teenager: 20 trumpet players - most didn't get a chair and only got to play in the concert band camp in the bottom of the section; one bass player - always gets a gig.

19. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I think what really stuck with me was an experience at the end of 4th grade. 5th-8th was middle school and an opportunity to choose chorus, band or orchestra.

Older students visited our elementary with their instruments, we got to listen to them play and later got to try them out.

Just hearing a bass guitar all by itself opened my eyes (ears). Being able to wear it and try it out was just too cool. One good thing about Boardman, OH schools- they really did have a good music program.

20. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC
    After listening to Wings Over America 1,000 times between high school and college. Didn't actually start playing until I was 46. First gig on my 50th birthday.