Why did you start playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aqueousillusion, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    What was it that made you want to start playing bass? I was just interested, because with me nothing made me want to i just picked it up and couldn't put it down. I wanna know if others had that same connection or if everone else was influenced.
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Paul's baasline in Lucy in the Sky "spoke" to me when I was a kid. Funny though, I don't consider myself a huge Beatles fan. I had a really cool 8th grade music teacher and part of his course was listening to and interpeting Beatles lyrics. So many things that struck me as odd about him became much clearer in later life, LOL. The rest, as they say, is history.
  3. Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005

I wish i had a teacher who made us listen to and interpret music thats what I do naturally.
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    When I was a little kid, my friends and I always pretended we were in the Beatles and I was always Paul McCartney. We'd play 45RPM records (does that date me or what?) and my brother had a guitar and my neighbor had a cheapo drum set and we pretended to play along.

Years later when I was in a real band, I played guitar, but we couldn't find a bass player so I took it up. I loved it immediately and never looked back.

Funny thing is, when I was a kid, I didn't know Paul played bass!

There is just something about that low end groove!
  5. I was in like 5th or 6th grade and I wanted to be Paul McCartney.

That's 3 for 3 so far.
  6. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I friend of mine (who at the time was just a co-worker) invited me out to listen to him and his friends jam at a local brew pub. I knew he played something. He showed me his mp3.com site with music he made. So I knew he played guitar. I didn't know he played bass. That was a suprise to me when I showed up at the brew pub. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Also two of my other friends play guitar so now I can play along with them :)
  7. I used to sing in a band, our bassist quit.

I said "I hate just singing, I hate guitar, hate drums but love the sound and feel of a bass." I bought that bass players bass and voila, here I am
  8. Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    Yeah, i always tell people, the bass is the instrument you vibe to. You can feel it inside. You just close your eyes and feel the vibrations.
  9. I saw my first Live gig in 1986 and i saw an awesome Bass player who played a slap solo for me , being there and hearing what he did just blew me away from then on I was hooked to this day
  10. I was at a Black Sabbath concert, and Geezer blew me away. That was the the main event for me, although I've never really learned much Sabbath.
  11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I had tried to play guitar and it just didn't feel right to me. Well, some friends of mine put a thrash metal band together and never could find a bassist. They said "Your always here so why don't you play bass?" I had always been a huge fan of Cliff's and Geezer's so it intrigued me. I went to a music store and thats where I actually held my first bass. It felt right.

Within a month I was able to play some simple stuff and started jamming with them and the rest is history.
  12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I had no clue what the bass was or how it worked or what it did.

So I bought one to satisfy my curiousity.

That, and my friend's band really needed a bass player.
  13. when I was around 7-8 years old my best friends older brother got us hooked on iron maiden, I had won an iron maiden poster at a fair when I was 6 and he was the first person to tell me what it was. Hearing that thundering low end sealed it for me, all I wanted was to be Steve Harris. :)
  14. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    My best friend in 7th grade had big dreams of becoming a rock star, so he picked up a guitar. About the same time I was dreaming to play bass like my father did and so we put a band together...Over 20 years later I'm still doing some serious rumblin'.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was twelve, my Dad's church split, and all of the musicians left.

So four of us kids decided to learn the instruments and replace them.

I started on drums, my best friend played bass.

After a couple of months, we decided to learn each others instruments. He showed me where C, F anf G were on the bass, and I played that same night.

Fast forward a couple of years, he stopped coming to church, and I switched to bass full time after a preacher insulted my drumming from the pulpit in front of a house full of people.

Been playing at church and in bands ever since, going on 27 years now.
  16. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    311 P-Nut........ "Yo P-Nut beat that thing"... it just gives me chills... i love the bass, it seems to me that the bass player is more funky... he can do alot of things the guitarist cant...its just so much more appealing to me than any other instrument.
  17. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Like every other young music fan (ok, metalhead) I wanted to be a musician (rock star?)... Everyone else I knew played guitar if anything, well screw that noise, so I got a bass and never looked back.

I think I made the right choice.

18. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    It was 9th grade... I would always notice the house band at all the shows (performing arts school); I especially noticed the bassist. He was a senior and I just decided that since he wasn't going to be there next year I would take his place.

Then during a choral show rehearsal I found a broken bass guitar (no sound when plugged in) and practiced in the dark between things I was is. I bought my own bass during the summer after 9th... and in 10th grade I got the job for the next 3 years.

and still playing and loving it
  19. When I started to get into the Chillies, I was still a guitarrist, but once I REALLY started listening hard to their music I was dumbstruck at Flea's energetic playing, I'd never heard a bassplayer be as frenzied as him, and absolutely loved it... went out, bought a bass and played both the guitar and bass for a while, but gradually I'd pickup the bass more often, until the guitar started collecting dust, specially as I started finding about people like Vic Wooten and Jaco, etc...
    And here I am...
  20. Circa1989

Circa1989 Guest

Dec 28, 2004
    All my friends play guitar so i didn't wanna be like everyone else, so i choose to check out a bass, i started hanging round with this guy who played and found out abit of stuff to ease my curiosity. then i guess it just happend, best decision ever.

Ogyen - UP THE IRONS man, maiden ****ing rule! ~ all there stuff is so hard tho?