Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why did you switch from flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basss, Jun 25, 2004.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have TI jazz flats and I'm pleased with these strings. The feel of these strings is great. I love the bottom end but I am missing the growl and presence that I got from the nickle roundwounds that I used to use. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. If you did switch from the jazz flats what did you switch to and how did it go?

2. I have used may different strings. I have used TI Jazz flats on and off on a PJ 4-string. I keep thinking they are my favorite, but eventually I go and get a roundwound set because I always fell I am missing something. Same comments you seem to have

For the 4 string I love the TI Jazz rounds (extra long scale) they came out with. They feel great on my fingers, and seem to have great harmonics, more musical played up on the neck. Can still get great lows on the P pickup, and slightly better sounding mids (growl) than the flats. But I have trouble finding this set extra long scale (JR364), and since I would rather go to the store than order over the internet, I usually end up experimenting with other rounds.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    What strings did you go to after the jazz flats? Have you tried the Jazz Round 5 string set? These seem interesting but I'm concerned the low B will be too floppy.