Why didnt they make the GK MB212 with Ext. speaker out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Mar 21, 2011.

1. why ? well, it does fit the market "demand" for the powered MBE enclosures ! 1000w and 4 12's in two boxes under 40lbs ea....yikes

I actually had the MB212 and found it to have lots of headroom, more than enough for me, but changed because I couldn't resist when the MBE212 came out in 8 ohm, so I could have a lil MB500 to take to rehearsals, but add another 212 cab if I needed more.....but haven't needed more yet

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I hope nobody confuses what Im saying about this amp as bashing on it. I LOVE this amp and have said nothing but raves about it in plenty of threads. Mr Gallien and Brian have been nothing short of incredible in their customer service and I will still stick by this amp as the best I ever played. My bass in one hand and my amp in another is a great thing to experience considering making multiple trips and sore backs to just get into the venue door in years past. This is one nasty little amp!
    But since summer is coming around again and the outdoor gigs are soon to be played, I just noticed a few times that I was a little lost on stage at times even though I had PA support, but as most bass players know it seems that monitors never produce a "good" bass sound, at least in my opinion. Just wished for the option to go 4x12 was there, but the fact that powered cabs are in the near future is a great thing.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All well and good if the drivers can actually make use of 500w. Thermally I'm sure they can, but I very much doubt they have the displacement required to do so. I agree that two twelves should suffice, but for those who want to use four the amp has enough power to push four, and they should be made well aware before finding out the hard way that the amp configuration doesn't allow for that.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    +1. let's face it...a 212 is not a big cab. i will never understand why people feel the need to throttle cabs like that with as much wattage as possible when it makes little or no difference in available output. all it does is help you blow them a little quicker. if you want loud, you need more cab, not more wattage.

5. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    In this case, it's most likely purely financial to use the 500watts in the combo. GK has a 200 and a 500 they are using in quantity...so why come up with a custom 300 or something. Put the 200 in the 12 and 15" cabs, and the 500 version in the 210, 212, 410. That's all it is. No one is really using all 500 watts here.

For me, the power to output to weight to price ratio is unique. Nothing on the market nails all 4. No one has even tried yet.

For an all in one amp, it's perfect. But for big stages, I'm going to be getting a proper amp and cabinet too. I hate pushing cabs too hard.

6. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Do you think the 210mb + 210 extension would be louder than the 212mb?

7. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Overall? Most likely is. But one thing I've found, my Genz NeoX-212T and GK MB-500 were definitely louder and more powerful then the MB212. The set is literally twice the price, and weighs a bit more. So I don't find the MB212 in the same league as good separates. Close, but no cigar. But I can carry the MB212 down and up stairs to practice easily in one hand. That alone makes it great to me. Maybe, maybe adding the 212 powered extension will take it over that ledge of realistic loud and big stage capabilities. I'll likely try one before buying another Neox212/head when I start gigging again.

8. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    This is just my experience. You can take what you want from it. I play in a loud original rock band. 99% of our shows are inside and have PA support. I am not a tone freak. I plug it in, fiddle with the knobs for a second, then hope the sound guy does his job.

I used to lug around an Ampeg 6x10, power amp, preamp, etc. Of course this is enough rig for any gig most people would ever play. Unfortunately, it was huge and weighed a ton. I also got a MINI Cooper S so trying to fit the 6x10 in there wasn't gonna happen.

I was lulled into trying a MB212 as I heard it was loud and weighed 37 lbs. That is having your cake and eating it too. I was not disappointed. My Tech 21 VT Pedal into the MB212 really kills it. I can get to the volumes I need in a package 1/4 the size and weight of my previous rig.

It doesn't look nearly as menacing as an Ampeg rig, but at this point I try to let my playing speak more than my rig. I do plan on getting the powered 212 when it comes out just in case though.

YMMV...

9. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Since I got the mb212, it's been hard convincing myself to haul out the heavier "real" rig to my gigs, although it has its place.

10. johnnybass01

johnnybass01

Sep 3, 2010
    Sparks NV
    Edorsing artist: Brubaker Guitars
    Well I went the other way and let my mb212 go and went for the mb500 head and the new 400 watt mbe 115 to start and will either pair it with the 210 mbe or another mbe115 ,but that is just my preference , the head fits in my bass gig bag and even if I get 2 cabs it is one trip in ,and I am thinking that stacking it higher will help me to hear it better

11. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Nothing wrong with going separates. The MB500 is my favorite mini amp. But for a combo, one single box, the MB212 is extremely capable.

12. johnnybass01

johnnybass01

Sep 3, 2010
    Sparks NV
    Edorsing artist: Brubaker Guitars
    For sure the 212 is my favorite one out of the combo' s GK offers

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Perhaps. But if the two twelves they use are actually able to take 500 watts without reaching xmax I'll eat them. Chances are they won't take more than 300. That leaves at least 200 watts on the table that could be used to drive a 2x12 extension cab but for the lack of a jack.
    I'm not saying there aren't very good reasons for the amp being as it is. But most buyers will probably expect that they can run an extension cab, and many will be sorely disappointed to find out that they can't.

14. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

An extra Speakon is the only addition I could wish for on my 2x12 II Neo's.

15. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    No additional cab and lightweight - exactly why I bought this combo. I use it for weekly band practice and at church every Sunday morning, so carting it around twice a week is so nice . . . no [email protected] rig . . . I have a heavy Eden rig just for gigging!!!

16. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    A big +1 here!

ONE light piece of gear that covers everything from quiet to loud.....and the tone is perfect "for me." Only thing it won't do is MEGA-loud...and I don't do that either!!

17. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Bass in case with cable, strap, three pedals, and five string . . . in one hand and the MB212 in the other . . . after toying with the Gain, Boost, Master Volume, and EQ . . . I also get a near perfect sound for me . . . clear as a bell too! Do not need an extension cab. Of course if I had a third hand, I might go for one!

18. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    BTW, a five string (Lakland 55-60) sounds awesome thru the MB212 . . . and I use the MB212, two to one, to my 196 pound 750 watt Eden rig!

19. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Won't really do big ensemble, big room filling either, but that's not as common for me. This amp has replaced my old Eden NC-210 which was my knock about workhorse for 10 years.

20. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I don't know . . . it fills a good size church pretty well! And the volume is under 1/2 . . . I use a lot of mids to cut thru everything . . .

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021