Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do 6 strings...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Jan 4, 2002.

1. have a high C instead of a high B string?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Because basses are tuned in 4th.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not all of them.

in fact, there are quite a few 6 stringers that use the high b, although they are in the minority.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is no big deal. It is only a 1/2 step. When I pickup a six string (which is rarely mind you) I always detune the C string to B because I also play a little bit of gu*tar here and there and my ears and hands have become used to that tuning.

Probably the better question is why aren't guitars tuned to C. Well the answer is if they were, you'd have to have an extra knuckle installed to play open chords.

Charles

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, what I meant is that the <b>standard</b> tuning is in 4th.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah i figured. i'm just being picky. :D

7. but aren't g**t*rs tuned in 4ths too???

8. on a standard 6 string guitar it's tuned (low to high) e to a is one fourth, a to d is one fourth too, d to g is guess what another fourth, but, here's the tricky part, g to b is only a third, and then you got from b to e which is just another one of those friggin' fourths.

9. BlackGeezer

BlackGeezer

Aug 21, 2001
    i've heard of many bassist that learned to fingerpick a guitar and then moved to bass. when they heard of the 6 string they thought it would be tuned EADGBE. when they found out this wasn't so they asked why. I think that if you add more high strings you lose the sound that makes a bass BASS. also, i see alot of times people posting up 7-12 basses where the bridge is the length of my room. how the hell are those tuned?

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they've all got these little twisty things called keys, and you just twist'em and -voila- you're in tune.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I tune the high string to B also. Just works better for me.

12. quick lets persecute all of you for going against tradition!

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    help me! help me! i'm being oppressed!!

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah, ok.... let's not be melodramatic or anything.... why don't you and your fistful of Conklins go find some other shoulder to cry on.... I would go with tuning to a B... Also because I played guitar, and it makes more sense to me, I would know where all the notes are!

P@

15. BlackGeezer

BlackGeezer

Aug 21, 2001
    John Turner, i was talking about whats the tuning setup. i already know that you tune with tuning keys.

16. standard tuning on those multi-stringed monsters (from high to low)
    F#
    B
    E
    A
    D
    G
    C
    F
    Bb
    so on and so on going up in fourths.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, don't you mean from low to high?

18. sorry about that didn't have my normal caffeine regiment.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I ever get a seven, it will be tuned BEADGBE, to facilitate guitar chord voicings. Still not sure that my small mitts could handle anything larger than my Cirrus 6, although if I ever run across a used BD7 for under $1100, it will be sorely tempting!

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I started on bass, so the consistency of all fourths is just fine for me. That's one thing about the Chapman Stick that rocks, with the bass in inverted fifths and the melody all fourths, it makes it a lot easier to get your brain around all 10 (or 12) strings.

Besides, I hate barring, makes my finger feel funny. :)

Of course, now that I've started on guitar I'm using CGDAEG (just guitar, still BEADGC on bass), so there's that funny minor third in there. But I have a much easier time with that being the last interval than I do with the G-B on standard guitar, stuck right in the middle of everything.