Why do Addarios corrode and go dead fast?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by utopia_imminent, Jul 30, 2005.

1. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    I always notice whenever i string any of my basses with D'Addarios, they go dead or corrode within one or to months. I take care and wipe down my strings regularly. Rotosounds would last me more than three months even without wiping them after playing.
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I used to use D'addarios religiously and they last 5 or 6 months easily. My DR's last even longer. Your problem could be one of two problems:
    1) that particular model of string could have a bad life.. I used half-rounds and Chromes.
    2) Your body's PH may be very damaging to the mix of metals D'Addario uses in the strings you buy. This is very likely. Even if you wipe them down after you play, the damage has already been done.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Are you using the stainless steel Rotos, or the nickels? The two (steel vs. the nickel in D'addario strings) could react differently to your body chemistry.

IMO, 1 or 2 months, especially if you're gigging, is pretty standard.
  4. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    That's fast? Sounds normal to me. 5-6 months for a set? I think they're more dead than you realize. I change mine pretty much monthly.
  5. Wow, I keep my strings on as long as I can. And I only feel like they are started to underperform maybe half a year down the road. Three cheers to having a bass-friendly DNA in having a good body pH or something. ;)
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm thinking either you're too picky, or its something to do with your body chemistry... ;)
  7. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I can get a lot of milage out of DA XLs without any real issues.

8. I think it must be your body chemistry. I get plenty of life out of mine, and they're nickel. On the other hand, I kill Ernie Ball strings.
  9. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    i dun know why. could be due to humidity? i am not the only one in my country who find this a problem. i live in hot and humid Singapore.
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    you might try a coated string and see if there's a difference. Also, make sure to wash your hands before playing. Gary Willis' old trick is to wipe your hands down with rubbing alcohol before playing, which is a little harsh on the hands, but definitely imparts dryness.
  11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Make sure you wash your hands with a good antibacterial soap before playing, and then use a disinfecting cleanser. I can't remember the exact name for the stuff, but the main ingredient is ethyl alcohol, so it kills a lot of the crap on your hands.

Most likely, you're getting a terrible chemical reaction between your strings and sweat, causing your strings to die. I just switched from Elixirs back to D'addario's on my 6er, so we'll see how long they last.
  12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Bingo. All Bass strings corrode. Humidity, body chemistry, and heat will have an effect.

Singapore is hot and humid, so things will corrode faster. I'd try making sure you wipe your strings down really well after every time, and store your bass in a case or gig bag.

The other options you may want to look at is trying a Stainless Steel or coated string.