Why do all of my hipster musician friends worship J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by petrus61, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  2. J. Mascis and Dinosaur Jr. made their bones way back in 1987 when they released You're Living All Over Me.

They have been touring the world playing music for a living ever since. What's the question again?

Happy to say that my band opened for them back in '89.

3. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I don't know much about this hipster business or anyone worshiping these guys...but I do know I enjoy Dinosaur Jr's music. Probably best to just ask them what they mean.

4. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    I've seen them in concert couple years back and they were awesome. The Bass player had a Rick on a SVT and sounded massive. Give them a try ;)

Illini10 and 10cc like this.
  5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Oh, I see, I've been living a parallel universe in which punk rock had developed into this. Poor me :-(

Some evolve, some just LAME ON.

6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I haven't listened to them since they moved towards metal, but i adore their older stuff. They got a new singer?

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No new singer, he's still good old Chris Hannah. In 2001 they stepped it up (IMHO) to a more modern and technical HC variant, what I call "post Satanic Surfers" stuff (something bands like A Wilhelm Scream rose to new -amazing- heights). I still don't see it as metal but, of course, it's definitely metal and prog influenced. Love this kind of punk that's made by people who grew up listening to anything from Maiden to Rush, do it myself too (well, try to)...

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Hipster...how the meaning of this word has changed...

The BurgerMeister likes this.
  9. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    I have no idea who J. Mascis is but I like Dinosaur Jr. a lot. Is he the guitarist?

GregC likes this.
  10. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    FYI, I was totally into talking smack about hipsters before it was cool.

11. It's not really my thing anymore, but I still have a soft spot for Dinosaur Jr. / J. Mascis, Mike Watt / the minutemen / fIREHOSE, Rollins (well, pretty much everyone who played on Watt's "Ball-Hog or Tug Boat?" album, come to think of it), Pavement, Pond. It's rare but I still listen to them occasionally. Fond memories of simpler times, I guess. AND they did bring something interesting to the music world, in my opinion.

Mascis writes good songs, that must be part of the appeal. He's like some sort of Bob Dylan playing through Hendrix's "it sounds like it's just about to explode" rig.

For the record: I'm about as non-hipster as it gets. No tats, no beard, no man-bun, I don't wear a toque year-round, my day job is NOT barista, I'm not currently working on a screenplay, etc.

10cc, Axstar, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  12. letsrumble

letsrumble

May 23, 2010
    It's because he has Fred Armisen in his videos. :smug: This is a pretty cool song.

The BurgerMeister likes this.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Nels Cline with Mike Watt:

10cc, GregC and TripleDouble like this.
  14. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    The hipsters can dig J all they want, but like you said this is music from a simpler time and a different generation. Maybe they're into J because they are yearning for a different time, kinda like when I listened to the Stones or Hendrix in the 80's. I'm no hipster either, though I might have been some kind of proto-hipster 20+ years ago, seeking out cool rock, punk, and indie bands, wearing all that Doc Marteny flannely grunge stuff, and going to a gazillion shows. I did work in a coffee shop, but the word barista did not yet exist on this continent. We all used to call each other on the telephone and then meet up somewhere to hang out or jam or just sit there and make dumb jokes. Seems more fun than pecking away at apps and talking about carefully posed beard photos on facebook, but what do I know.

I actually just had a conversation with a pal how Dinosaur has aged a bit better than Pavement (which we still like too), but J and Co. still really rock, while in retrospect Stephen sounds a bit like he's trying to be clever. He sure is a good guitarist though. But the songs aren't as good which is key. Stephen is not as loud as J either, that's for certain, the 2 times I saw Dinosaur Jr it was as loud as a Motorhead show.

10cc, GregC, fretter and 1 other person like this.
  15. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I've been listening to Propaghandhi on repeat for the past 2 days! One of my favorite bands.

andruca likes this.
  16. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    When I hear the word hipster I think of Harry the Hipster Gibson.

HarryTheHipster@Berg's.jpg

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  17. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    That song gets me every time. Listening to the Minutemen still makes me choke up when I think about D Boon's passing and how rough that must have been on Mike.

18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Been to Canada on vacation, which revamped my canadian "fandom". Altho' always a consistent fan of more mainstream acts such as Rush or Billy Talent, I went back to my Propagandhi and Belvedere LPs. Luv'em.

19. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    I dug, undug, and dug again Dinosaur Jr. before any of you even heard of them.

I am in at present in a undig cycle because of their current popularity.

I shall let you know when they are cool again.

20. GrizzleTone

GrizzleTone Dig it.

Oct 11, 2013
    Kansas
    I really enjoy J. Mascis' tones, and his most recent solo album is really very good. DJr. has it ups and downs, like most, but overall I'm a fan.

Nels Cline is in a different league altogether. A master player, but/and still exploring with his instruments and sounds. Always a new adventure with that guy.

GregC likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021