Why do all of my hipster musician friends worship J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by petrus61, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    It's W T for Wu Tang. Bunji's Knee aint nuffin ta mess wit.

andonbray and kjones like this.
  2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I never bothered listening to them growing up. I first heard of J Mascis while watching something about the Fender Jazzmaster and later listened to him noodle on youtube. He's pretty good. I tried listening to Dinosaur Jr. as a band and it didn't translate well and I got bored.

I had the opportunity to see J Mascis play at Pioneer Works in Brooklyn last year. Everyone preceeding him blew him out of the water. It was the first time I walked out of a headlining act. He did have a cool guitar tone though.

I also realized during the set that he looks like the crazy scientist from the original Independence Day. Everyone around me

Compare:
    j-mascis.jpg

to:

tumblr_inline_o5yo7sy3JT1t6wivs_1280.jpg

And when you're not feeling Dinosaur Jr at the moment, think of this:

Independence-Day-brent-spiner-release-me-e1428690899188.jpg

3. GazzBass

GazzBass

Apr 20, 2008
    Japan
    Dinosaur Jr isn't hipster music. Its dad rock. Are you sure your friends are hipsters? LOL

4. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Their music still sounds genuine, not pretentious. Although I'm not a fan, I like their mellow approach to heavy music. I wonder how much of the whole hipster thing is just another media creation. People are individuals. So what, if they share some fashion trends. So-called hipsters are making a major contribution to the revival of urban economies.

I remember this song. That was cool stuff in the early '90s:

From Sonic Youth, I like the songs with Kim Gordon on vocals:

That was your grunge lesson for today. You're welcome ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    10cc and Slapstyle like this.
  5. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    I was at an amusement park last weekend, saw paunchy dads in Sublime, The Killers, and Fishbone T-shirts that didn't fit so well anymore. None of them seemed to care.

10cc, GregC and Slapstyle like this.
  6. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Who? woah Im old eh

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    It's just your friends..trust me.

8. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Subliminal messaging. Peas in a pod. Guilt by association.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    At 83 my dad was losing sight in one of his eyes due to pressure inside the eyeball itself. For almost a year they gave him monthly injections in that eyeball to reduce the pressure. I try to inagine sitting stock still with my eye wide open watching a guy sticking a needle in it.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Wilco is dad rock. I know this because I read it in a magazine.

MobileHolmes, 10cc and GregC like this.
  11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

The only reason I know of this band at all is because they did a song on the Kiss tribute CD Kiss my Ass. :unsure:

12. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Hipster, schmipster.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I posted my opinion of J. Mascis and this band way before you made this thread.

Also, the hatred of hipsters is way too mainstream these days for it to be cool anymore.

14. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Technically all Dinosaurs are "hipsters"...they were on the Earth before it was cool.
    For the record, I have been a fan of Dinosaur Jr since the late 80's and in my opinion they were a very important part of my musical education.

15. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    I'm too old to be a hipster but I loved them back in the day and still like 'em. They were pretty big in Mass. I saw them at Lollapalooza 3, or 4.
    Mascis and Swervedriver both make me wish I had a jazzmaster, but I have too many instruments.

I have 5 Dinosaur Jr albums. Green Mind is my favorite. But Lou Barlow had already left the band by then to form Sebadoh, a band I may even like more.

Spirit of Ox likes this.
  16. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I've been listening to Dinosaur Jr. since 1988. I got into them because they played their music in skateboarding videos. They were a skater band long before a hipster band. They fell into that early post punk category. They were in the first wave of post punk along with Firehose, Husker Du, Joy Division, and even early REM.

17. Dinosaur Jr. is great. One of my top 5 bands all time. I've loved them since my junior high days in the early 90's. Who doesn't like a grungy wall of noise, guitar solos and pop sensibility?

Also, your hipster friends probably heard that J.Mascis turned down an offer to be Nirvana's drummer which makes him instantly cool.

Illini10 and 10cc like this.
  18. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Speed Freaks!!!!

Spirit of Ox likes this.
  19. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    I'm 90% sure not one of them listens to or cares to listen to Dinosaur Jr. Offset bodies are in style in all sorts of music, especially worship. The J. Mascis Jazzmaster is supposedly lots better than the other comparable Squier Jazzmasters, and everyone gets them to mod. That's it.

20. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I know you are joking but thats kinda the point. Those into music know Nels Cline is fantastic because he just is, not because Rolling Stone says so. RS thinks Green Day is punk so.... Always was into Dinosaur Jr, good/great musicians doing their own thing with no radio play. That was the beauty of college radio, record stores and even 120 minutes back in the day, being exposed to new music. Music has been stale, IMO, for some time so inevitably people start looking back to see what they missed. Hence Dinosaur Jr is getting SOME long overdue attention.

Illini10, 10cc, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021