Why do all of my hipster musician friends worship J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by petrus61, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Love DJ, seen then a couple of times as well. What a sound they produce.

As fine as all their albums are, it's got to be the current (original and main) line-up - J, Lou, Murph. There's some magic when those 3 get together. Murph is such an underrated drummer.

Illini10 and GregC like this.
  2. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I love sebadoh and swerverdriver. I bought dinosaur jr's "without a sound" and really failed to hear what the fuss was about.

3. Another Dino Jr. fan here (seeing them next month actually). I just dig that style of music in general, but I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. Regardless of your personal feelings, J Mascis shreds.

Now, as for the hipster thing, for whatever reason hipsters just sort of latched on to bands like Dino Jr. and Sonic Youth and would berate others for not being "in the know" about these bands that have been around since the '80s, despite, like you said, not actually listening to said bands themselves. It became cool to pretend you listen to these "super underground" bands instead of actually listening to them. These same people become completely lost when you start talking about other bands from the era like Pavement or Built to Spill or even Sugar. I've legitimately had a conversation with someone who wanted to buy a Dino Jr. shirt and then asked, "Who is this?" when I put them on. I told him, "Maybe start with an album first..."

Anyways, to wrap up the long rant, trends are going to come and go, and people will always pretend to like things if they think it's cool or even if they think it's unpopular, but if you genuinely like something, you're still going to be listening to those bands or dressing the way you dress even when all the trends pass, so just keep doing you and don't let it bother you.

GregC likes this.
  4. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I wasn't ever a Dinosaur Jr fan, but like the Dude, I'm glad that J Macsis is out there doing what he does.

However, this thread is missing two important things.

One, the best Dinosaur Jr song ever recorded:

Two, J Macsis on drums:

A song that also features the best 19 seconds of sizzling tube sound ever recorded in the opening of the song.

Anyways, at this point Dinosaur Jr has entered into a sort of "timeles" thing, they're still "alternative" from when that title actually meant something.

5. I think you're thinking of that song with Kermit the frog, the Spielberg connection.

kjones likes this.
  6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I'm not a hipster and I'm not your friend but I dig Dino Jr and have for many years.

7. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    It amazes how this poor excuse for music gets any attention.

8. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
  9. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    Get the hook first, it could lead to an eyepatch.

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  10. Austin Tx -hipster central!
    Skinny jeans, side cut hair, beards we got it all. I like their bars alright and the girls are cute. BUT hell i would like to have a coors light -why do they have to be so elitist with beer. PBR it terrible! And Lone Star -bleh! but they have to hate on Colorado koolaid!
    Dinosaur Jr?! Is that really a thing?

11. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    What's a magazine? The one with ammo? I didn't know you could read them.

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Loves me some Built To Spill

13. Road Hat

Road Hat Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2008
    CA
    They were the only band I've seen that gave out earplugs when you entered (in a nifty D Jr. container). Loud hardly begins to describe the db's coming off the stage. I don't believe the albums do them justice. It's hard to capture the sheer audio onslaught of their live shows in the studio.

GregC, Bass_Thumper and direwolf333 like this.
  14. The guitarist in my band is a HUGE Dinosaur Jr. fan, and as such is the one that introduced me to the band. Although I think J's vocals can take a little bit of time to get used to, I think the band is made up of some phenomenal musicians, and create some seriously riff-heavy indie rock.

I live in western Massachusetts, which happens to be home to A LOT of the indie bands of the 80s/90s (Dino Jr, The Pixies), and also home to one of the biggest hipster centrals (North Hampton). Funny enough, our singer's step dad golfs with Lou Barlow's cousin (who plays drums, go figure), and friends with his father, and meeting the band could be a possibility :woot: And, from what I've heard, J has recorded some of his more recent material in the studio that my band is recording in right now in Amherst, which is like a bike ride away from NoHo, so it all comes full-circle :D

GregC likes this.
  15. As far as the OP's question goes, I think J is one of those unique and iconic figures in rock due to his mannerisms and looks (being dead-pan 100% of the time, the long white hair, the glasses, the Jazzmasters), just like any famous rock icon- Hendrix with his flipped Strats and headbands, Cobain with his grunge clothes and stage antics, Jagger with his huge lips ;)- while also making great, genre-defying music

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't know the names of the songs either, I just put my "Best of Dinosaur Jr." CD into the carousel and hit play :roflmao:

direwolf333 likes this.
  17. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Not in Canada. My friend fills in on drums when they go to Canada because Lou isn't aloud in.

18. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I believe D-Jr. has a new record out though. As for Nels he is one of my favorite guitar players.

19. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Isn't he with Wilco too?

20. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Never mind I'm thinking of Murph.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021