Why do all of my hipster musician friends worship J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by petrus61, Aug 9, 2016.

1. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013

2. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Was never really a fan of Dinosaur Jr., though I did like J. Mascis & the Fog quite a bit back in the early 2000's. Great stuff, I thought.

10cc likes this.
  3. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Don't worship the man but he's put out some awesome music over a very long period of time. The 2 mid 90's albums are criminally underrated, some fantastic songs on them and not all fiery heavy either.

4. Tre63

Tre63

Feb 6, 2006
    Harrisburg, PA
    Love Dinosaur Jr. They toured with Primus last summer. It was a great show.

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    I don't know why your "hipster friends" worship him, but I do because I have been listening to his work since 1987 and he is an amazing songwriter and guitarist.

10cc and GregC like this.
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Sounds valid.

7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Didn't really know too much Dinosaur Jr. or J Mascis, but I like the new Band of Horses tune with him in it a lot.
    One of my favorite tunes of the year so far.

And for the record - not everyone with a large beard is growing one because it's ironic.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  8. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Massamachusetts
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Yeah, some people grew a beard as soon as possible to hide my double chin.

P-oddz, BassmanMetzger56 and gfen like this.
  9. The Bottle Rockets wrote a song about this (Idiot's Revenge)- back in 1994! Love Dinosaur Jr. One of the loudest bands I have ever seen, at a small club in Madison, WI before "Green Mind" broke big.

10cc likes this.
  10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Great tune, love the entire record. Seeing BOH in SF 8/24; excited.

P-oddz likes this.
  11. looper

looper Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    MPLS
    I think part of the draw at least for me with D Jr. is that I was listening to them in my early 20's when nothing made sense. Some of the songs became sort of an anthem to my youth. And Nels Cline is amazing.

Illini10, 10cc and GregC like this.
  12. Interesting timing. While always knowing the name I'd never heard anything by them until I downloaded their new one... this past weekend. I like it... good hard rock. That said, the production could have been better.

13. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    Without a Sound isn't really that great. Green Mind, You're Living All Over Me, Bug, and half of Where You Been...that's where it's at. But they don't sound like Sebadoh or Swervedriver.

14. jacksonev94

jacksonev94

May 12, 2012
    VA
    Hey! I have a man-bun, work as a barista during the summer, and like Dinosaur Jr! Not sure why a lot of people in here think "hipster" is a pejorative term or want to make blanket generalizations about the playing abilities of people that enjoy certain types of music and embrace modern trends, though. I'm sure most of you tried to be cool at one time or another, too. ;)

Anyway, Mascis is a good songwriter, and Dinosaur Jr is, simply put, a dinosaur. It's nice to have a band from a simpler time that's still making music, which is why I think they have plenty of younger fans. In the era of highly-marketed artists, bands are purposefully embracing a certain "underground" or "indie" aesthetic (I am aware of how nebulous and overused the term 'indie' is) and sound in order to target the "hipster" demographic, and the resulting product often has very little substance. Many people find themselves craving the authentic article, and Dinosaur Jr is just that.

297.jpg

15. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Hipsters love offset guitars.

petrus61 likes this.
  16. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    Also, uh Wilco.

petrus61, GregC and 10cc like this.
  17. Oh, in that case ... I'm a fan :)

petrus61, GregC and Calebmundy like this.
  18. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Whew, I've been busy since I posted this. But I wanted to keep my word. The OP posted a fine example:

And here's Nels in the bigtime. The solo starts around 2:30.

Fun facts for those who may not know:

*Dinosaur was forced to add "Jr." to their name early on because some supergroup of '60s musicians called The Dinosaurs sued. My late bandmate/roommate bought the first album new prior to the name change.

*Mascis and Cline obviously both play Jazzmasters, but they've also both worked extensively with everyone's coolest pal, Mike Watt. In fact, they've both played covers of Maggot Brain with him. Now look here, purists, I love P Funk and no one's going to touch the original. But I still dig both of their takes.

Mascis' came earlier, in the studio with Watt and the master himself, Bernie Worrell (RIP).

The live recording of the Nels version is far shorter. Stephen Perkins of Jane's on drums.

As for the OP's question: I think it just comes down to the fact that Mascis is a singer too, and therefore more noticeable, even though Cline now plays in a more-popular band.

Also, best news I've heard in a while: Mike Watt said in a recent interview with For Bass Players Only that he's working on a new Black Gang album with Nels and Bob Lee! Can't wait for that one.

BassmanMetzger56 and petrus61 like this.
  19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Impossible Germany...gotta be one of the most tasteful and tonefull guitar solos of all time, at least IMO.

Illini10 and GregC like this.
  20. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle

I just saw them again last week. Love those guys. Yes, loudest band I have ever seen.

These are what greet you on stage. Massive.. ha :bassist:

IMG_1136.JPG IMG_1137.JPG

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021