Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Do Bass Players Always Get Second Best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Dec 15, 2005.

1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Is it just me, or do guitar players get a better selection and better quality in low to mid priced gear?
    If you notice, Mexican Fender guitars are much nicer than the basses and have way more options. Same with Ibanez and many other brands. What you get for $350.00 in a guitar, is not what you get for $350.00 in a bass.

What do you think?

2. I think its bull.

(Sorry for this brainless reply)

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's just you.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The low-to-mid stuff today is WAY nicer than the low-to-mid gear when I started out; WAY, WAY nicer.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    They sell more guitars in that range than basses...So it's really easy to get a better selection and have more hardware available

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    more people play guitar, thus higher demand, thus more incentive to develop better product for less, maximizing profits

im in economic class

7. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Let 'em have the gear - we get the first-rate women.

8. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Heck a guitarist can use any amount of cheap power, any kind of cab, sealed, ported, open back - Theil Small perameters be darned and way cheaper speakers. The strings, well don't even get me started on strings, want to expriment as a guitarist what are you out six -eight bucks maybe.

Sorry for the rant,
    Wesley R.

9. i agree. more people want to play guitar, so more companies are making them!

10. ...and my last gig? Prime rib! Shrimp! and a heckofa selection of microbrews!!! Keep the guitars! :D

But seriously...if you're only paying #350 for a bass, then chances are you'll get what you pay for. Plus I agree with the rest; there's a higher demand for the guitars so that's where the selection is in that price range.

Want a good bass new?...start lookiing over $500, IMO.

11. From what I've heard, there's something between 10 and 13 times MORE g----r players than bass players around. This alone can explain why there are that many more options in the low/lower mid price range for guitars.

12. I do agree my guitarist has a gibson SG special cost him £499 but the basses i could get for that price are not even in the same leage as his SG

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    $430 gets you a new MIM Fender Jazz. Best value ever.

14. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I was worried this thread was going to be about women.

15. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Page through any of the Mega Music Catalogs that we all get and you will find 65 pages of guitars and accessories and 7 pages of bass stuff. TB is a haven for us. With rare exception are there places where we can be unincombered by guitar crap!

16. Where? I guess I missed out; my MIM Fender Jazz was $600, although thinking about it, it is a 5-string with active electronics. Might make a difference I suppose.

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Slightly off-topic but still relevant:

My pet peeve: if there is a bass version and a guitar version of a given piece of equipment, the guitar version often comes in a cooler colour. Remember the old Boss bass chorus? The guitar ones were always blue, but the bass ones used to be brown. The guitar pod? Red. The bass pod? Grey! Come on, it could at least be blue or green or something interesting. Bass specific companies are not as bad with this trend at least (witness Markbass' stunning yellow look these days).

18. Besides the obvious reasons, like way more guitarists out there, I think that guitar players are more fickle than bass players for the most part, and it takes them longer to find their "tone" ....then some of them may try to obscure it...hey that sounds like Timmy C..

19. veering off topic again...

i got my MIM Fender jazz for like $280. i'm starting to feel like it was a steal

20. Glad somebody said it before I did!! (apologies to basschuck)

:D