Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Do Fender American Hot-Rodded P's cost less...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by common rider, Jul 3, 2002.

1. than Fender American Standard Precision's?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I don't see the Hot Rod on Fender's current price list. I have to assume they're discontinued or about to be "upgraded" soon so you're seeing blowout pricing on an old model.

3. then i should find a way to come up with $800 quicker than i originally planned...

4. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Not generally the case in the UK when I bought my hot-rodded Precision : 7 months ago. They were going for about 800 sterling then, with the Standard American Precision about 100 sterling less.

They do appear to have been discontinued now - they don't appear on the Fender web-site either in the standard catalogue or the price list.

I'm not sure why - someone in the Fender marketing dept. probably thought it was a good idea to dicontinue what is a fantastic bass at a good price. I think it'll re-appear under another name/model at a higher price soon.

I have read some posts about it not nailing the Precision sound : IMHO it does do it unless you are trying to get an old Precision (60's) thump in which case the tone is too rounded and full. There again that sound is as much to do with the amp/strings/cab than the Precision sound itself IMO .

I tried both the maple and rosewood fingerboards when trying them out and went for the maple. The tone seemed to be more rounded , especially in the lower registers.

They'll re-appear I'm sure.

5. The HR Precisions have been discontinued. Too bad 'cause I liked the transparent red finish w/rosewood look.

It's true that it cannot replicate the sound of a Precision - played 4 of them at the store. But then again, a Precision cannot replicate the sound of a PJ (which sounds pretty cool too).

They say that adding the jazz pickup changes the circuitry and even if you turn the jazz pickup volume all the way down, you can't get the Precision sound.

However, I talked to a few owners at Fender Forum and they said with a slight modification, you can add a switch that will change the circuitry and allow the user to isolate only the Precision pickup. Ta da! You have a Precision AND a HR Precision.

I may have the instructions on my computer at home. I'll check this evening and post them tonight if I have them.

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Also on a PJ the P pup is in a different location.

7. I don't think that's true on the HRPs. They use the same pickguards as the American Standards. The pickguard hole that's normally used for the jack accomodates the extra knob, and the jack is moved to the side.

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Im not sure about the HRP but on the PJ's the P is in a different spot than a regular P. On a regular P the pup is closer to the bridge if I remember correctly.

9. I seem to have lost my instructions but I have this old email from a fellow bassist named Sammy:

I have used this P-Bass in the studio, both before and after the mod, and the engineer couldn't tell the difference when I switched out the J bridge pup and it's volume control.

I'm running concentric pots for the volume controls and a pot/switch forthe tone. If you get a Fender HotRod P-Bass, you won't have to make any changes other than the tone control. Change it out with a pot/switch.

Have your luthier, or do it yourself, wire it so that in one position it's standard HotRod operation and in the other, it takes both the bridge J pup and the bridge volume pot out of the circuit.

For normal use, however, you really can't notice a whole lot of difference. It does show up in the studio. That's why I had mine done the way it is.

You will only need to replace the tone pot, leave the volume pots alone.

As for realibility, get a good brand and you shouldn't have any problems at all. I got mine from Stewart McDonald. You can order them on-line.