Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do Fender type basses seem to have very large sounding G and D strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kevinlane, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I have a Lakland JO 5, and it has a really large fat sounding G and D. The bottom on the D is almost the same as a 5th fret D on the A string, and the G is also similarly fat as the %thfret G on the D. What gives? Am I crazy or is this a common part of the "fender" sound?
    I also have a buddy with a modded 65 Jazz bass with EMGs, I tried it on the gig one time and the techs loved the sound. I personally thought it had lotsa low to mid lows, but not ture low end thunder, my JO however definatly does, maybe too much.

I have a Rosco LG 3005 tha has a very nice fat sound on the B, E, A but not on the D and G????
    Has this anything to do with the headstock angle or has the more to do with the pickup placement(the Roscoes PUs seem to be angled the "wrong" way?)

I find that this fatnees is very pleaing on a reading gig (I've been on one lately and having confidence in the 1st fret Ab/G# to stand byitself is a good thing when you want to stay in first position.)

When I've palyed the a lot of these real hot "boutique basses don't seem to have this quality??!?

any thoughts?
    Also is it a miss conception to say that this is a quality of the "Fender type" basses as a group?
    I 've never owned G&Ls or any current MusicMan( Had a MM along time ago and can remember if this was a quality it had or not)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't think so.

IME modern designs with tilted headstocks (on quality basses) have more balanced strings than Fender-style instruments. Fenders also tend to have a weak A because of the headstock design.

Also, most basses on display in stores have old strings, especially on the D and G when people slap on them, which is likely. So you can't compare them to your bass without keeping that in mind.

Never played a Roscoe...

3. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    true, the A is a little weak

I just wished my Roscoe had a BIG D and G
    Tis JO 5 has a lot of tension on it's strings.
    Huh, maybe that's it??????

4. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    On my old MIM J bass it has a huge sounding E string which over powers the other string, What causes this and would a new bridge get rid of it? THe bridge that came with it is a piece of junk. The action slowly lowers because of the screw-type things that adjust the action keep coming loose:(

5. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I was thinking just the opposite. Every fender I've ever played had an incredibly weak, plinky-sounding G string, and a barely competent D, while the A and E were fantastic.

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    All basses are different, but... my Fenders (Precisions) definitely have stronger G and D string sound, actually I'd call it a fuller tone, and I appreciate it - feels like I'm still fulfilling the bass role when I walk a line up high. But then, in general, a precision isn't born to solo, it's for holding down the bottom. We play a couple songs where the bass line has more of a lead role, I then prefer using my bass with a more "modern" tone (with active EMGs).

WRT a weaker A string: At some point someone added a string retainer on my '73 P to hold down the A string, it seems more even across the neck as compared to my stock '79. Never thought of it before, but maybe that's part of the reason I generally prefer the '73 even though everyone, including me, thinks the '79 has better tone.... I recall reading somewhere that the headstock doesn't give enough downward force over the nut for the A string, perhaps that results in some loss of energy?

I also think a big part of the overall sound can be controlled by setting the pickup height. I angle them (split Ps) for fretboard curvature, and the D/G part ends up a wee bit closer to the strings.

7. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    my d and g are bright as hell and my e and a are total opposites. my d is bright and my a is kinda 'thud' like