1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why Do folks put down the American Special over the American Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VWbug, Jan 26, 2012.

1. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    :))I had posted this on another thread.) :)

I'm considering an American Special P over the present American Standard. I'm at odds with the apparent majority of posters.
    I have MIA, MIM and MIJ basses for background.

Poly finish - I like it. I dont give much weight to it being bad for sound and it being an invitation for the demons of deadness to possess my bass. I have an older pre-08 that
    I've had for years and sounds great and still looks almost new except for the pickguard. Saw a guy on the Cls' selling his new American Standard and lamenting that his small child already had put in a few good dings in a short time. That thin finish is not something I want . I like my basses to be protected and look good for a LONG time.

Stiffening Rods- Yup, want them, it's on both.

Slim Neck - Felt better to me than the seemingly thicker front to back American Standard.

String through/top load bridge - Seemed like a good option and all the talk about better vibration etc. When I got my older American Standards But I frankly cant hear a differnce with my other Fenders without it.

Tuning machines - As long as I get one thats on the light side and they keep the bass in tune and theres no real neck dive I'm happy.

Greasebucket - Easily ditched if I dont like it.

Hardcase - Don't need it, dont like it. For a hardcase the older smaller SKBs were easier to negogiate hallways if I wanted one. I spent good bucks on quality Gig Bags that protect and are not so cumbersome to carry. They can Keep that giant box of a case.

All thats missing is peers not dissing my American Special because it's not the Standard and I'd feel great about maybe geting one....:)

2. It sounds to me like you're too worried about what other people think. You listed a bunch of reasons why you like the Special, and it's your money, so who cares if some folks don't like it?

I mean...really.

3. I played an American Special Jazz (unplugged at GC) and I really, really liked the feel of it. I would buy it over the American Standard Jazz my local GC has.

Buy what YOU want and play the crap out of it.

4. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Point taken.:D

It's nice to feel good about your purchase too in the foum of peers. lol. I have gotten things other folks arent into and have been fine.:) I Have some MIM Basses that are pretty darn nice despite what folks say about them. :p

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You have good reasons for your choice, so stop worrying about what others think. Play what you like, and concentrate on making great music. :cool:

6. I like the Specials. I personally prefer the Standard, but I would still rock a Special! Get one, be happy.

7. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks guys. :cool:

8. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Everything I own would be dissed and applauded by different people.

9. Yeps. And then high end American Standards are dissed by people ordering custom built ones. And they debate which custom one is the best. It never ends.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i may be in the minority but i prefer the AM specials over the AM standards. i like everything about them better, with the exception of the greasebucket circuit.

11. What is it exactly that people dislike about the Greasebucket? When I tried a Special P, it sounded all kinds of sweet!

12. Why not get both? You can never have too many basses.

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This.
    We call him Dr. Jim for a good reason...

14. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I'm surprised you think the neck felt thicker front to back. To me the special necks feel thinner front to back (I'm pretty sure that if one was to measure them that would be the case) and feel like they have a flatter profile too, not as rounded as my American Standard. Other than the fact that I don't like the necks I have no problem with them. If you like it, who cares. Get it and play.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, they remove a bit of the low end when they're rolled all the way down in an attempt to make the instrument sound less 'muddy'.

16. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I'm only concerned with the people who pay to get in to see me play. Other musicians? Nah. If somebody who's paid $20 to see me play says "That bass sucks compared to the one you played last week" , I'll do something about it. Other musicians get in free and steal licks. The stealing licks is OK with me.......I stole them too. But who cares what they think?

17. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I've seen plenty of good remarks about the American Specials *shrugs*

18. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Sorry, I might not have been clear. I think the American Special neck is thinner front to back than the American Standard.:)

19. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    +1, get what you want man.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Isn't the Special just MIM parts assembled in the US? Personally I felt that the Standard felt more "solid" and more of a quality bass. Enough of a difference to negate the price difference.

But don't worry about what I think. I'd never poo poo someone for having an American Special. Both great basses.

Edit: tried to verify that some of the parts are made in Mexico. I can't find where I read that so it is likely a bogus statement.