why do fretless basses cost more?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big_d, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    ive been looking around at websites and such and everytime i see a fretless bass its more expensive than a regular bass,now call me crazy but shouldnt it be less because its less work for the company and would it not cost the company less because they dont have to pay to put the frets in that bass? it just doesnt make sense to me :meh:
  2. do a search i remember a thread on that previously
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    wood treatments and such, usually
  4. Also, thicker fretboards. If the board gets worn down and needs sanding, there's got to be enough wood there. Another thing is production. Fretlesses are less demanded, and building them means changing the CNC machines, etc. Time = money and since there's less demand it's less profitable to change the process at all. Search for an old thread on it, it was pretty insightful. I think Ken Smith even commented.
  5. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    because people should be rewarded for lazyness
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Two reasons, one, they're more labor intensive to properly dress the fingerboard. Fretted basses are much more forgiving with imperfections in the wood. Especially lined fretless basses. Gotta cut the slots, put in veneers, cut down the veneers, sand the veneers, level the board, seal it sometimes, and blah, blah, blah.

And two, anything out of the ordinary is not cost effective. Simply put, if a machine is putting out 95% fretted jazz basses, and only 5% fretless, it's got downtime to produce those basses. Since there isn't THAT big of a market for fretless basses, they simply just cost more.
  7. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Many smaller companys offer it as a option at no price increase sadowsky offers this hotwire offers this it is in the bigger companys like fender where everything is mass produced so to make something thats different is more work for them than it would be for a small company.
  8. There is no price increase for a fretless Ric...just a really long wait :p
    Pedulla doesnt charge more for their fretless models either...And i think Zon doesnt too...but i may be wrong on Zon.

There are a few out there who dont charge more.
  9. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I heard it costs more because it takes them a couple of hours to pull the frets back out and fill in the holes! :p

Just kidding!!! It's Monday morning!
  10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas