why do friends allways want to screw around with your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aqatc, Jul 5, 2002.

1. aqatc

Jul 4, 2002
    USA, Milpitas, CA
    How come when friends come over to your house and see your bass, they always want to screw around with it? Like sometimes my friends will come over and put on the strap like a necklace, and then start violently and stupidly pluck the strings with their thumb all the way under the string, or start strumming it with a quarter.
    :mad:> :D
    Last time my friend touched my bass, ALL the strings were out of tune. My friends are still my friends, but I wish they would just respect my property. I mean, I don't understand why people always go "Ooh, shiny, I wanna play with it! My house is not Best Buy.
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i kno what u mean....kinda....its my drummer....at practice...whenever i don't have my bass...hes always playin it....im like "DUDE!!! GET BEHIND UR DRUMS!!!"

3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It doesn't bug me but...

Maybe you should keep your bass in the closet when you have company?
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I leave my bass in its hard leather case all the time. When people come over, they dont bother with it. But I can understand. People have said this before, but its like someone asking to try out your car or your girlfriend/wife. ;) Non-bassists these days have no decency for musical equipment. :p
  5. Casper

Mar 11, 2002
    Harrisburg, PA
    yeah, i know exactly what you mean, it's like everyone i know(including people in my band) seem to think they can just pick up a bass and suddenly be able to bust out some mad phat basslines, succedding only in "snapping" my strings and making such terrible noises that i never thought could come from a bass, let alone a dying cat.

the worst came from my old guitarist who would try to play his version of slap bass on my acoustic bass :rolleyes:

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Me and my drummer have an agreement. He plays my bass, and I play his set (only during breaks).

If he breaks my bass, I break his set. If I break his set, he is rich so he can replace it. No need to break my bass :D Works out great.

My friends know not to touch my bass unless I hand it to them.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Weird. Nobody futzes around with my basses, and I don't even threaten them. I've let some pro's play them after they let me sit in on a few tunes. That reminds me. I was at an engineering conference in Savannah a few months ago, and got to sit in with "The Rogues" at the banquet. I was going to just do a couple tunes, and they asked me to play the whole last set. The bass player dug it, because he's the lead singer, and I think he only plays bass because he has to. It must be true ... he had a Steinberger headless. Eek!

The Rogues ... get it?
  8. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Yea,more like a dying moose sound. -Luke
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    basically only one of my friends ever plays with my bass....he's a guitarist and I don't mind....its fun watching him try slap techniques and using his fingers instead of a pick :D
    other than that, ocassionally a bassist friend of mine asks to play my bas...so I let him.

I keep my bass in its hard leather case and thats that :)
  10. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    playin my friends bass is how i started bass playin in the first place
  11. I agree. Well I must say my friends don't "come over." We just ride bikes and skateboards around the streets. Well with some of them. My guitarist always picks up my juevnille (miny, crappy, unidentifiable) bass and bends the strings so much. Like it doesn't detune itself!:mad: I have to really yell to make him put it down. Once I didn't watch him for 5 minutes and he picked up my Dad's Ricky 1976 4001! Not to mention his huge ego (search miscellaneous "My Guitarist Has a Huge Ego!") and lower-tolerance of letting me play his Mexican POS. The drummer doesn't care and my best friend prefers to watch me play:p. But, uh, I understand totally.
  12. My friends don't screw around with my bass, because they know perfectly well that they shall perrish in the most horrifying way if they do.

13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Only fools try to play my basses.
    Only a total fool actually does. :D
  14. I don't know. Why do I always want to screw around on their guitar or piano? I don't know.

Rock off.
  15. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    My "normal" friends don't touch my basses as they wouldn't know what to do :p ...........my "muso" friends don't touch my basses as they show the same respect that they expect from me regarding gear.

whether its respect or fear i dunno:confused: :eek:

i mean, i'm not that scary!!

16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have one rule: You can touch my basses only if you're better than me. I never miss a chance to learn new stuff. My guitarist always want to play my bass, and when puts it on he looks so awkward playing with his thumb. That's actually kind of funny to watch.
  17. whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    I have a guitarist friend who is incredably good, with very little effort. He occasionally plays my bass and really get to me sometimes. He doing stuff it took me months to get down in a few minutes. But hey, I still look better, right?
  18. All of you need new friends.
  19. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I have a simple solution to the problem... at home, my bass is always in it's hard case when not in use.

On the guitar stand is a crappy unplayable acoustic guitar. Anyone picks it up and seems like they know what they are doing, I get out my nice acoustic guitar from its hard case. If they are clueless on the guitar, let em bang around all they want on the crappy acoustic.

I don't think anyone has come over to my house and wanted to play the bass. It's just not there to be noticed, let alone messed with. They have several amps and cabs to look at and wonder, though.

When I play with people, sometimes we take breaks, and i will get behind the drums. It seems fair to let the drummer play my bass at those times, as I am absolutely worthless and offensively bad on a drum kit. My drummer shows me some stuff now and then, and i show him simple bass stuff. It's kinda fun, and we usually get a song or so in with instruments reversed every time we jam...

He gets a cool tone out of my bass, too, as he plucks the strings really hard with his thumb.
  20. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Anyone who would pick up your bass without your permission is not your friend, no matter what you may think.