1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

why do I even like Cliff Williams?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by oldfclefer, Apr 30, 2006.

1. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    When I listen to AC/DC I'm always blown away by the rhythm section: tighter than a frog's behind (and that's water tight :smug: )

I listen to Cliff Williams, and I know he's huge in that groove, but I can't figure out why.
    His style's dead simple.
    His timing's great, but he does nothing outstanding except remain invisible.
    Maybe that's why I like him?

2. Man, that dude is ALWAYS in the pocket. How can a person NOT like that?

3. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    he does exactly what is needed in the context of the band, so that makes him a good bassist imo

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    That's what makes him a great bass player IMO :p

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    He's the glue that holds it all together. If he didn't it would fall apart and not work. Solid and in the pocket. Sweet!

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's a good 'nuff explanation for me:D

7. I like Jeff Berlin, Jaco, Paul Chambers and Cliff Williams.

For me he is such an essential part of the AC/DC sound.

I think the downstrokes hall of fame should be erected in his honour. Its tight so tight. And if you listen closely and are an AC/DC fan there are some great lines on the Highway To Hell album that just exude coolness.

He will always be a bass legend to me.

And when I saw them live he does occaisonally switch to fingerstyle.

I have been informed by someone that has met him that he is a fairly straightforward sort of guy if thats being oxymoronic. But man the recording history speaks for itself.

I would include him in any top ten rock bass players of all time because he is just perfect for the job.

8. Its one thing to rip up and down the neck it is another to play solid eighth notes for hours without a mistake.

The flawless solid eighth notes is harder.

9. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005

Yeah, I was a straight Geezer Butler and Cliff Burton disciple, and then I joined a cover band that did alot of AC/DC and it was just as hard if not harder than any Black Sabbath tune.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have a lot of respect for Cliff. This story always amuses me: When I was in a cover band, we did highway to hell, after practicing that tune, my uncle (the frontman) told me that in all his years of being in a cover band, I was one of the only bassists he'd played with (a lot) who played Highway to Hell right.

It seems stupid, but I believe it. It's such a simple song, there is a strong urge to busy it up, but playing it right sounds so much better.

He's solid, and when he isn't playing straight eight notes, he does some cool stuff, Sqealer for example, and a few on the Razor's edge album are pretty groovy.

11. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I once spoke with a drummer that played fusion/jazz type music, and he said some of that hardest music to play was AC/DC songs. I guess itÂ’s harder than it seems to play songs like Let there be rock, Sin City, Rocker with a perfect groove trough out a whole concert.

12. i agree with gruffpuppy. playing a repetitive line consistently and smoothly is not as easy as it sounds. he's about as in the pocket as you can get.

13. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    One of those things that just sticks in your head..............

Seeing AC/DC several times as a kid and how cool it was to watch Cliff and Malcolm jamming away in front of the backline and when the chorus came around they would walk down-stage in formation to sing their backing vocals. They would then backstep to their original positions.

It was just such a cool look.....

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Having seen AC/DC a couple of times in my youth and then again about 5 years ago I've just got to say those guys are total human metronomes. They start a song at a specific tempo and it ends at that very same tempo. As simple as their music is I think they can be called masters of 4/4. A lot of musicians could learn a lot by listening to AC/DC. Great band.