Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why do I get no change in sound from my tone pot except for the last 2/3 of knob?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have strat knobs on my jazz (I like numbers on my pot knobs so I can dial in the precise sound I want). I find there is no difference in tone between 1 (or off) and 8. The only real difference is b/n 9 and 10 (or all the way on).

I am using 250k cts pots. I am pretty sure the cap is a .44 but it may be a .22.

thanks!

2. Sounds like you may have linear taper instead of audio taper pots, although I'm experiencing the same thing with my jazz and supposedly my tech installed audio pots. Mine is modded for blend,master v., master t. I don't know if that would affect it this way or not...... Anybody?

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    mine's in series if that makes any difference (but I doubt it).

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i have the same problem with my olp mm2. however, i couldn't care less about it. i intend to burn it at a big show, along with my carlo robelli acoustic. so yea.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Why do that when you could donate them to me? I need a cheap MM.