Why do I have no "headroom"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Liquid477, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Liquid477

Jan 23, 2006
    I recently purchased my first real rig. Swr 750x (750 watts 4 ohms) and a goliath senior cab (6x10 1000 rms). After rehearsing a few times I am concerned with the lack of "headroom" I have. From 0-5 I have low volume, from 5 to 7 on the master I have decent volume and from 7 to 10 I have great volume. Is it mormal to run this kind of set up at 3/4 power? To tell the truth I expected not to go past 5 ( this stuff wasnt cheap). I appreciate any help.
  2. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    do you have active pickups?if so check your battery
  3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    What level is your Gain set to?

You should turn down the volume knob all the way and set your Gain level first. I assume the 750x has a clip indicator light? Set the gain knob so that the clip light only flashes when you really dig in as hard as you're going to (slap if that's your thing). Then set the volume level appropriately.

750 watts into 4 ohms should be giving you all the headroom you need. If a 750 watt amp isn't killing you at half volume or more, it's more likely there's either an issue with your bass or there's some "pilot error" in operation of the amp...if you can dig. ;) If the latter's the case, that's to be expected with any new gear, especially since this is your first "real" rig. Congrats!
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Totally agree w the above. Set your gain first then your master!
  5. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    How is your EQ set? Don't boost Bass, boost the mids.
  6. Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    My local dealer let me take home a 750x to try with my rig. I was looking for more watts than the 300 watt Peavey I was using. To my surprise, the 750x could not get louder than the Peavey. I switc hed them back and forth over and over and changed the settings any way that I coud, but still no volume increase with the SWR. I also ran an RBI into the power section of both with the same results. My only thoughts were that the sucked out mids of the SWR made it seem lower in volume, or SWR grossly overrates their wattage specs.

The tone was much nicer though.:bag:
  7. Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I just reread my post and it appeared a bit insensitive. The mids come through loud and clear with my old Peavey, which are the frequencies that our ears are most sensitive to. The "SWR sound" has less mids which make it more pleasing to the ears, but also sit quieter in the mix.
  8. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Not only that, but the 750x is overrated in the wattage area. I UPgraded from 750x to M-Pulse 360 (360 watts) and the M-Pulse beats the hell out of it with the same sound. Gobs of headroom. I always had a problem with the sweepable mids on the 750x. They just don't sit right with the rest of the amp and make it hard to get your sound.
  9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Obvious answer: your speakers were already putting out as much as they were capable of with 300 watts. Even if they were rated considerably higher than 300 watts that rating doesn't mean they can do anything with more than 300 watts input, just that they'll accept it without blowing up.
  10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Or it means that Peavey really ROCKS!!!:eek:
  11. Liquid477

Jan 23, 2006
    First of all I am an idiot. I started this thread, having headroom problems. The first reply "check your battery in your bass, if you have active pickups". Are you kidding me? Thats all it was.

This amp and cab Kick A@#. Ironically, my last amp was a Peavey firebass 700, a powerful head but not nearly as clean and awesome as this rig. Great tone and Sh*t loads of head room. I seriously appologize if I lead anyone to believe that the SWR overstated the ability of their equipment.

I am truly a moron. Feel free to pile on!
  12. Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Being just a battery is great news.:hyper:
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    The good thing is, at least you're smart enough to know how dumb that was...;)
  15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Feces occurs...

- georgestrings
  16. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    be sure to unzip before you pee.