Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why do i keep blowing practice amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stuie86, Aug 25, 2003.

1. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ok ive done like 10 searchs before i posted this i was sure i would find somthing but i came up with nothing

i keep blowing practice amps. and i dont turn them up loud but they still go out, i think my "low end" is what does it.

ive got a crate right now is starting to go out on me, what i mean by that is it the "sound" will start to sound off then weeks later it will pop and after it "pops" the "low end" will never sound the same

this has happened to my fender practice amp and my crate is starting to go

i just know they souldnt be going out this fast. so i wanted to ask if you guys had any idea why?

i play my b-205 mostly and both amps are 15 watts and i never play that loud

any help would be great

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what have been the wattages of the amps you use, what models. any combo can blow probably if you crank the bass knob even if the master volume is low. if speaker is moving too far and you get distortion, then its too loud even if its only 80db!

Get a bigger practice combo! 150+ watts?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're EQing too much bottom. The low frequencies are the ones that require the most power, and you are, in fact, turning [the bottom] it up too high. Those little amps can produce the bottom you crave.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're EQing too much bottom. The low frequencies are the ones that require the most power and do the most damage, and you are, in fact, turning [the bottom] up too high. Those little amps just can't produce the bottom you crave.

5. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ok for those of us who dont know much about amps(a.e. me) explaing how to do this would be wonderful

and unless im totaly mis understanding you.... the amp has a four band equalizer and the bass has a three band equalizer. i like the tone i get with the basses equalizer the way it is, do i need to change(move) those too?

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I use practice amps for jamming at friends houses, and I've found that those have NO low end worth crap anyway, so just turn them down and it won't sound so bad anymore. Practice amps are killer in the mids and highs though, so they are useful somehow. I find that turning the lows all the way down and the mids all the way up makes for one of the few useful tones a practice amp can handle.

Get a bigger amp. That's the only way.

7. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i would love to but with no cash laying around im trying to get by on what ive got, and your right i dont get any low end out of them

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well, keep the bass turned down. don't risk the life of your current amp.

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Remove all the bass from your amp and bass. Cut it, change the EQ so you have an annoying trebbly sound. Then on the amp, turn the bass up 2 or 3 notches, and turn the bass on the bass up a very little bit. Fiddle around with the mids aswell, but when you feel like your gooing to break something, stop, and back off, and try a different combination.

10. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i think i get what your saying ill try it when other people are awake