Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do I lose interest in playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Juan Frias, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Juan Frias

Juan Frias Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Argentina, Bs. As.
    this days i notice i've lost interest in playing the bass, i just want someone to give a good reason to keep on playing

2. I assure you there will be many days like that. I'm sure all of us here (at least those of us who have been playing for many years) have experienced the same feeling. I've actually had it so bad that I sold 2 basses in a weeks time (back in the 80's) because I simply got fed up. Needless to say, I regretted it immediately after. Don't sell your basses! Don't quit your band! Take a few days off, away from your bass. There are many reasons why one might feel that way. Perhaps you're bored with the music you play. Maybe you feel you've reached a certain peak in your playing ability which you can't seem to pass. Whatever it is, take a few days, and then come back and consider what it is that is causing you to feel this way. It may be nothing more than simple burnout.

On another note, I tried to listen to the mp3's on your site but couldn't.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Two things struck me;

1. If you need a reason, it may be time to quit. A lot of people have something major come up in their lives, (e.g., wedding, turning 21/40, new job, et al), and the put it down for years, and later realize something is missing in their life. There are scads of those who returned to the flock.

2. Will Lee had an article about the "blahs" years ago. The article showed 4 bars of music, all containing nothing but rests. He advises putting it down for a few days and see if you need another fix of bass.

4. Rick, buddy, what's with Will Lee anyway? Isn't that exactly what I suggested? Do you really think our new member friend is going to take a breather because Will advises it? Nah - he'll do it because XavierG recommended it. :D

5. Juan Frias

Juan Frias Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Argentina, Bs. As.
    thank´s i believe that your replies to my post somohow helps.

by the way i couldn´t open the attachment

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have never ever even had a glimmer of doubt that i wanted to play bass. From the moment i picked up my first bass til i die, the bass interests me whole-heartedly. There is so much you can do and learn and say with the bass that is incomparable to any other instrument.

You may not be a bass player. Its not for everyone and theres nothing wrong with that. Try to find the instrument you do enjoy and pursue it. Maybe you arent even a musician, but i do encourage you to keep trying.

7. If you take a quick trip to Juan Frias' url (you'll find it in his profile), you'll find that he appears to be an established bassist/musician in Argentina. Of course, speaking/reading Spanish would help. I read it, and yes, he is a bassist and a musician.

8. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Oh. Never mind.

9. Juan Frias

Juan Frias Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Argentina, Bs. As.
    i should say i do not consider myself a real bassist, i ´d to do so but i do not have the experience that i believe it takes to said that. anyway i love how it sound the bass and i´d what it takes to do so.

10. Yup! As I was saying, he's not really a bassist. :rolleyes: Boy, do I feel stupid now. :) (What can I say?.... Appearances can be deceptive.)

11. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    My advice is to start spending time on other instruments, specifically guitar and drums. They're closely related to bass and will give you a new perspective on bass. Hearing the full sound of a chord is important - the difference in sound between a 7th and flat 7th, for example, might help you in deciding whether or not to play either or neither in a bass line.

I like to play drums because they don't sustain. The sound is the beat, so to speak. I think practicing drums occassionally will help to focus your ability to play on and around the beat with the bass.

Don't limit yourself to just bass. You're a musician whose specialty is bass.