Why do I need an 'expression' pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Jan 17, 2002.

1. or... why don't i need one? ...other than to express myself! ...if this is even possble to explain w/o actually demo-ing one. thanks!
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you don't know why you need it, then trust me - you don't need it!!
  3. Err, what does an "expression" pedal do: are we talking about a swell pedal / foot operated volume?

4. don't know... some efx boxes have it... :)
  5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    First off, just in case you didn't know, an expression pedal is the same thing as the volume pedal structure-wise, but it is not limited to be used to control the volume only (volume pedals and wah pedals are examples of expression pedals). An expression pedal can control a number of different aspects of an effect. For example, if you have an expression pedal hooked up to a distortion pedal (this is found mainlyl in multi-fx units), you can control the saturation of the effect. By stepping down on/closing the pedal, you can increase the amount of distortion and vice versa. If the effect you are using is delay, then one of the aspects you can control is the delay time. For filters such as flangers, phasers, and choruses, you can control the speed/rate, depth, regeneration, etc.

If you have a nice rigged up midi effects system or a multi-fx board, you could probably also used the expression pedal to control two different effects patches. For example, by having the exp. pedal open, you could choose Patch #1, which say has a nice clean sound. By having the pedal closed, the system switches to Patch #2, which could be a thick raw distorted sound with other funky effects. By sweeping the pedal, you could blend in the two settings relatively smoothly.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot of different stuff you can do with an expression pedal, but this should give you a general idea of how it can be used. Hope I wasn't too confusing.
  6. yes, outstanding, thanks! i am just curious. i am planning to try out a multi-efx box which has an expression pedal option, so that's why i was asking...
  7. If you have to ask why you need one you probably don't need one. On the other hand I want one for my moogerfooger but I still don't need one I want one.
  8. the expression pedals on the moogerfooger are not very useful at all... i use the one that came with it to boost the cutoff when used with fuzz... thats about it.