1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do I not like DRs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Catbuster, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I've now tried every single set of DR rounds. I still do not like them. Some of them are too bright. Some of them have too little tension(sunbeams/hi-beams/fat beams,) some far too much (steel low riders.) Some are just too bright (fat beams) and some are too harsh (Hi-Beams.) I'm confused, as the consensus is that DRs are the "best" strings.

I'm confused. Seriously confused. I still pretty much use Rotosounds, which seem... So... Much rounder, and so much more... Mid focused. They don't feel as good on my hands, but they definitely sound better to me.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Its never been the consensus that drs are the best strings made. Dr has die hard fans just like all the other name brands you can find in music stores walk in or online. The only dr strings Ive tried and liked the sound of is the neons. All the others ive tried (sunbeams, lowriders, couldnt pass the grade for becoming a string of choice sound wise.

3. CalboDaGo

CalboDaGo Banned

May 16, 2011
    Milwaukee,WI
    i feel the same way about dentists as the op feels about doctors...i dont care for centipedes either

4. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I love the Dr low riders after they break in. That's just about all I have played for the last ten 12 years. I feel this way about Ernie Ball strings. I think they are just gross but a LOT of people love em. To each his own. I have been wanting to try the rotos.

5. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I have tried almost every string make and i still like Daddario best. For me they are the best strings

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So if you don't like a type of strings, don't use them, and buy strings you like.

7. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    OP, try a set of DR Legend if brightness and high/ low tension are issues. You don't say what you're putting them on or what genre you're targeting.

8. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Jul 10, 2008
    West Los, CA
    I think teh question to ask now is this: which strings are best for metal? DRs or centipedes?

But to answer the OP's question - you don't like DR strings because you don't like DR strings. It's as simple as that. If you're looking for folks to agree with you, I'm sure there are some here on the boards.

While there may be empirically quantifiable reasons for one string being "better" than another, at the end of the day, it's your fingers, your ears, your bass, and your amp (if you use one of those ancient things) that have the final say.

Personally, I love the DR Hellborg set - been using 'em exclusively for several years now. Grabbed a set of DDTs at namm this year, but haven't given them a go yet.

9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I'm not sure why you are confused. To the extent they can string makers make their strings different from the competition to attract customers who like that difference. But that quite naturally means that other customers will dislike their strings. If you have a brand and type of string that you like there is nothing wrong with trying something else but you have to keep in mind that you may very well return to what you like. Why wouldn't you? Plenty of people like Rotosounds best. I am sure that there are also plenty of people who, like me, have never tried DR strings and not because we have anything against them but simply because we like what we use, GHS in my case. Seriously, you might like Rotosounds best even if every other person on TB used DR strings and we all used the same model at that. Even if that were true you should use the Rotosound strings you like and not worry about it at all. Every other member of TB could in fact be wrong!! ;)

Ken

10. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

How dare you have a different opinion than I do!! :p

11. It's a bit like asking why I don't like goat cheese, or cilantro. It's personal preference. How many "really want to love a P bass but just can't" threads do we see? Or J bass, same problem?

12. I don't like cilantro either! But I do like DR Sunbeams and D'Addario XL Nickels

13. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    And now for something completely different...
    the Larch

14. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I'm not a fan of cilantro but I really like coriander.

To the OP: the best strings are the ones you like best. Even if it were true that, on average, bass players like DRs best, averages don't mean anything. What matters is what works for you.

Right, back to practicing my 4.3652-string bass... :)

15. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I like cilantro in my guacamole. Not for much else though.

16. See, I can't stand it there. Ruins the guac. I just have no use for the foul weed. Tastes like what dirty laundry smells like.

:ninja:

17. I thought I would like DR strings as well from all the glowing reviews & testimonials I've read on TB over the years. I like them enough, just not as much as Rotosounds or a variety of Dean Markleys. Same with Flats, I tried them by accident back in the 80's didnt like them then, got caught up in all the flat fever & tried a set of chromes a few years back, kept taking them off & trying them again to see if my opinion would change on different basses setups etc. We all have different tastes, don't worry about what strings or gear is hyped on web forums like this, let your own ears decide.

18. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    You are clearly irrational. Well, your bass is anyway. :p

Ken

19. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    That's why they make chocolate, vanilla and 28 other flavors. :D