1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do I "peak" so much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aurian4parker, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I play a Fender MIA JP90.

For some reason. even with my amp at like 1/4 volume. and the limiter on, I still peak a lot. How bad is this? I play a lot of slap funk. I have a cab rated at 500W and a head rated at 350W.

Please help if you can.

I would like to know if this is truly damaging or if this happens to a lot of people.

Seems like this with every amp I've owned. Even back when I had the Peavey TNT115

Thanks

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's never a bad thing to climax more than once a night.

3. hahah.

I'm talking, like it peaks every other note..But I'm a very aggressive player.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's only damaging if you hear the speakers themselves flapping, farting, or otherwise sounding like they are having a physical problem. The rest of your gear may distort, but it is completely harmless under normal circumstances.

What do you mean when you say "peak" anyway? Is it a peak light flashing, or do you hear clipping, or what? If it's just a light flashing, you can safely ignore it. If you hear clipping (a glitch or pop sound each time the signal peaks) then it's probably that your bass output is set too high for the input stage of the amp- the amp's limiter is not designed to protect the input. Edit: this is an example of where a pedal comp/limiter is very useful. ;)

5. Yea, I need a compressor soon. haha.

But yea, It's just the light.

Thanks man!

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If your amp has an active input or a pad button for the input, try using that.

7. Many, many years ago I used to play through a Peavey Mark VI and I was quite disturbed by a light that regularly flashed when I was playing - I assumed that I was peaking all of the time too. Turned out that the amp had built in compression and the light was merely telling me that the compressor was...compressing. :)

8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    That's why. Since you have a limiter, I wouldn't worry about, unless you don't like the sounds coming out of your cabs, as pervious responders pointed out.

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    please post all of your eq settings.....on the bass and amp....I'll see if I can help.