1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

why do i rarely see people who love p basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Aug 4, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    It's seems like everybody wants a jazz . I love my p bass and can get many tones I hear alot of people say you can only play rock with it but it seems to me I can play jazz and it still sound like jazz and not death metal hehe I can get some bright stuff , like when I play portrait of Tracy by jaco it still sounds like jaco and not all rough and punchy , I do have to do a bit of tweaking on my head but its not complicated (I do love my amp ) and besides I dont think people complained for the nine years before the jazz came out about it being to punchy . I always see people say go for the jazz and such but why? Is there any other precision lovers out there :bassist:

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Seriously? There's no shortage of P-Love on this forum - especially a P w/flats.

Edit: Only reason I also keep hearing people say "Go for the Jazz..." is because of the thin neck at the top. I hear the Jazz bass suggested a lot at Guitar Center (mostly), regardless if someone is buying a Squier or MIA, the first pitch from a sales rep is "A Jazz has more tones and a thinner neck that makes it easier to play."

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    There are a TON of p bass players out there. Amateur and pro. The majority of all popular music in the last 50 years feature a Fender Precision bass. I think you may not be looking very hard.

4. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    I love my P-basses with Rounders and Flats.

Always have been a P-bass guy, since I was 15 years old.

I have other basses and I love of few of them, too. But nothing like my love for my P-basses.

5. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I love P-Basses and so do most of the people in the Fender Precision Bass Club. Numbering in the several hundreds at present. Ive noticed a trend toward Precision Basses lately. I may be misguided but that's how it seems to me.

6. FileBass

FileBass

May 9, 2012
    +1
    THE squier P lovers w/ so much stage experience n squier/fender/sx better than boutique basses
    too many of theseguysin dis forum

7. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Any guys out there who are strictly p bass like you would almost never own another bass.

8. Deedubs

Deedubs

Mar 5, 2012
    love my p!

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have 2.5 p basses... I love them... one is a mim j bass thats routed for a p pickup at the neck (.5) and the other 2 a squier vm with a mighty mite j neck. and then an mim p. 6958006797_5cebb48f84.
    IMAG0714 by spaz21387, on Flickr

10. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    You must be new here.

11. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I was actually under the impression that P basses were more popular than Js, or maybe it's just where I live. I see more P basses being played than Js when I watch local bands. Personally, I like the neck of the Js more - I find them more comfortable than the P basses.

12. facepalm2.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Plenty of Precision love. Around my parts, everyone plays a black Jazz with a rosewood fingerboard through a Peavey amp, and they all sound alike. I play my P and get a lot of love, especially from people who have no clue about which one it is.

FrankstonVFW2.

14. svt1233

svt1233 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    you said it

+1
    until you own and play a jazz for an extended period of time without playing P, you will most likely never go back to P.
    It's that damn neck for one, but I'm also a fan of the separate neck and bridge.
    Tons of people on here praise P's more than J's, maybe it's because everyone already knows how great j's are and have nothing to have to prove...

15. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    It puts the lotion on its skin

16. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    +1, the when in doubt new bass is a squier J bass.

I personally never got along with the J bass, neck pup alone I might as well have my P bass, both pickups together have a mid scoop, and bridge pup alone is thin and boring.

P Bass, flats, chromes covers, play over the neck - win

17. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    In my town it seems like they're 2 p basses for every 8 jazzes in fact the shop I always go to did have two ps and eight jazzes haha , not that I'm like not trying to conform or saying jazzes are bad i just dont see much love for the original

18. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    That's a sexy bass is it a classic 50s model

19. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i feel like (in the circles i've been in) guitarists are the ones that love P basses. they always want me to play one.

everyone else digs my boutique 6 strings.

20. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again