1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do I suck, Revisited.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Steve, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Normaly I would'nt even consider responding to a closed thread and I'm sorry the the Mod's for that but given the tone of response you got, I'm not sure people realized there was a sound clip link imbeded into your smilie.

I don't think you suck. I think the keyboard player sucks and is pooching the feel of that thing. Or at the very least the recording sucks in that the keyboard is so loud that the off time "spice" he's trying to add is overpowering the the groove.

If the volume of the keyboard and the bass tracks was reversed I think it would all fall into place and smooth out a bunch.

IMOHO of course

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm just realizing that there was a sound file there, too. Since you asked for specifics, I'll give them to you. Understand that you don't suck, you're just rather new at this.

1st of all, everyone in the rhythm section is trying to 'do' something. Just play time! Get that down first before adding spice. As a bassist, half notes and quarter notes are your friends. If you play them, other musicians (in this style) will be your friends.

Secondly, you're rushing. It's cool in swing to 'push' on the groove, but I don't think it works well at this tempo - relax, play time and enjoy.

My advice would be for your whole section to spend time together playing time. (not 'cool' comping, not soloing - just time) Spend an hour playing the changes to this tune, with no embellishments - listen to each other, nail the quarter notes. See what happens.

Be patient - it's a life-long path.

3. You'd Be...
    Yeah, the pushing the groove thing I noticed, too. That was only one of my criticisms of my playing...but yea, I also find it tough to keep it going throughout a song. I'll have like small moments where things work fine, but then I just fall out of the pocket so to speak.
    I find it hard to get into the song too..I seem to always struggle with just playing the notes and it pulls me out of time. It's odd because when I play metal I play all tempos with pretty good time.

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's a matter of being familiar with the style, too. The second clip is TONS better, although it sounds as if you don't have the changes down yet. What are you using to learn to walk? Teacher?

It sounds like you're on the right path, xolin. Time and effort, in conjunction with as much listening to jazz as you can possibly stand (and I'm talking Ray Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers kind of stuff, not fusion), and you'll be amazed. One day, the flood gates will open up and you'll be blown away by what you can do. Just keep putting in the effort. Read, transcribe and write basslines. It'll come.

5. Umm...to tell you the truth I just kinda learned some chord structure a while back and just play as I go. I'm in uni (obviously) so pretty much the only time I get to play jazz is with the band...which is pretty amateur and are just getting to a decent level. I do listen to jazz (mingus, coltrane, miles mostly), that's why I am pretty dismayed at my own playing :). But yeah, I get the point, just practice...

Thanks.

Also, I was just playing off the sheet music. I hadn't played that second song before.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    well that second clip cetainly doesn't suck and neither does the bass playing.

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Check what you're playing for the changes early in the progression (bars 3 and 4 particularly) - it sounds missed every time.

8. I got you. I think I misread the chord possibly. it sounds as though I was a bit jerky there so it may be because it seemed out of place.

But yeah, advice is what I'm after, I mean it just seemed all over the place to me. I would like it to flow more smoothly, and maybe then it would be easier to introduce more dynamics on a gradual scale.

Oh, and for definitive proof of my suckage upon first sight of a piece of music:
    Bouncin' With Bud
    (Mind you, myself, the drummer, pianist and alto sax formed a quartet practicing on weekends recently so we've done much better with this song since then.)

And I was saying about endurance...by the end of the night this happened (i dont know the progressions to this)
    My (Not so) Favorite Things

9. Stop beating yourself up!(from someone who always does!):D

10. Ok, I challenge ye to fisticuffs!
    :spit:
    :hyper:

:bag:

11. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    The best possible advice: STOP THINKING while you play. Play it enough to learn it by heart, once thats done just concentrate on the music, not HOW to make the music, and itll flow naturally.

12. Ha if you listen to My Fav THings, all I did was listsen to the music...but, yea, thats because I didnt know the song or the chords :help: That's why the solos (esp. the piano and mine, but i was just messing with the pianist during his :)) were a bit funny.