1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do Mexican Fenders get all the cool colors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    They kinda do. That’s what the custom shop is for.

2. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Research & Development Departments criteria usually always consider trending and statistics...theres a big difference between trending/statistics and stereotyping/generalizations......Personally, I think you are right: MIA guitars are still mostly marketed to Boomer and Gen X players and collectors, but unless we work for R&D at Fender, we wont really know for sure

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Corona...
    I62AV5BWZREXJBLZATAVDWHREA.

4. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Because they are hoping that the demographic that buys the American Fenders will pony up a little extra $$ out of their disposable income for mod shop or custom shop color choices. Fender figures they are the kind of customer who will/can pay.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  5. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    They offer just this from their "mod" shop, the step right below custom.

6. I’m still trying to figure out why you’re much more likely to find a matching headstock on a $200 Squier than a $2000 Fender o_O.

7. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Have to entice people somehow to buy the MIM.

8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Ah, interesting. I havn't looked at the Mod Shop in quite some time. When it first opened up the choices were much more limited.

9. cheechi

cheechi

Mar 10, 2015
    Yet another 'right handed person complains about variety' thread.

10. I think there is a little bit of everything. People spending big money (like on a MIA) may not want to take the chance to buy an "original" color and taking the risk of get bored of it after some time, therefore they may go to "the classic" since those colors are more "trustworthy". And they must be more open to take than than on a middle price instrument like a MIM.
    Second hand market may have an influence as well, people may think that, if required, selling a Sunburst might be easier than a pink shell

11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Because (and since I’m 50% Mexican) Mexicans are cool.

gregus67, Alik, bassicg and 3 others like this.
  12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Why do Mexican Fenders get all the cool colors?
    my guess is higher margins on the instruments due to lower costs in production and Fender tempting people to buy these as a result?

13. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Well GC stepped up to the plate with a proprietary Limited Edition to test that market a little. Not only Shell Pink, but a solid Rosewood neck as well;

Rosewood%20Jazz%201_zpsgqcrpj03.

I'm a Oly White and Sunburst kinda guy, and I took the bait...

14. I like the MIA colours. I'm probably the only person who actually likes the Soviet Army Surplus green they had in the Pro line.

br1qbat and cheechi like this.
  15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    It seemed like a lot of people bought that color. It was a nice unique option for the new Am. Pro. P bass and it seemed to do well. I'm basing this mostly on the NBD's on I saw on here with that particular color of Am. Pro.

16. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I actually played one of those the other day; a jazz bass with a maple neck. I saw it on the rack and knew I just had to play it. Very nice, played and sounded really good. So good in fact, that another customer brought over a different bass (Fender PJ) and asked me to A/B them and help him decide which one to buy. (I was there to test amps, not buy a bass.) The jazz bass won, not only because it was a better player, but also because.... surf green! :)

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Japanese Fenders put them all to shame.

FunkyEel and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I’ll always love Fender basses but this is true, I have a Lakland p bass in the coolest green and I have a lakin j bass in ocean Turquoise, seems like they offer better color options, I know D Lakin did with his basses any color you wanted pretty much..

Fender_Bender likes this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I think more people who buy lower priced Fender are more likely to buy multiple instruments ($675 v. $1500). Therefore, entice them with more colors. Also, they sell fewer MIAs, so they don't want to have a warehouse full of instruments that aren't sold.

20. evlwevl

evlwevl

Jun 16, 2017
    Bakersfield
    079036C9-10BA-49C6-9549-A3A4E0C4BCE7. I was initially going to buy a MIM white active j bass which has always been a “want” for me because I’ve always had a hard time picking guitar colors which I why I usually go for Black, White, Charcoal and Tobacco. I started dreaming what if I could just have any bass I wanted no matter the color so I went to the local GC and played a bunch of different instruments which led me to browsing Sweetwater’s website and I saw this American Elite PJ color and instantly fell in love. I soon realized I’ve always liked metallic turquoise as I had painted multiple R/C and model cars similar colors but never really thought about it. I guess we are drawn to some colors and they register something with us without us knowing why and I’m glad Fender has kept Ocean Turquoise as one of theirs.

B-Mac, hintz and Crusher47 like this.