1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do Modulus basses nose dive on the used market?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remo, Feb 27, 2008.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Every review I read has people fawning over them, build quality is fantastic, indestructible neck, piano tone, no dead spots etc etc.. sure there is the whole carbon fiber thing but apart from that they seem like killer instruments. :confused:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not sure, Pedulla do the same.

3. Hi There:

In my opinion is a demand vs offer issue, although I think Modulus basses are great (I own a Q5 which I love to death), they seem to be not desirable for the general “I only like traditional tone” public. :scowl:

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Simple, basses that go over $1000, more like $3,000 & up, that are not hard to get new, depreciate as much as a Carvin, because there is more supply than demand.

Come on who's going to pay $10,000 for a used Alembic ?
    Maybe you can get $3000 for it.

The exception is Wal & carl Thompson. Wal has ceased for the moment and future still unclear, CT are a trickle of basses sold.

On the other hand US made Classic brand basses by Gibson, Rickenbacker & Fender hold their value very well thank you. Yes, custom brands can be and are better, but thery are not classics- yet.

Lets face it most $3,000+ basses are just better attempts at a design Fender has been doing forever, using similar pickups based of the P/J formula. Are they better, yes in some ways, no in others.

If Modulus, USA Lakland & Shadowski had back orders for 3-4 years, you could bet used prices would skyrocket.

The other issue is that their lesser expensive Korean/Orient built basses can be just as good as the USA built ones to many people. That also lowers the used market, in my opinion.

Warwicks & Alembics are the worst resale. Warwicks are really hard to sell. Look at Ebay, Warwicks & Carvins seldom have more than 3 or 4 bids on them if your lucky. The best selling Carvins are the 80's ones

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Sadowskys, EBMM, Fenders and many other brands.... I VERY RARELY buy new just for this fact.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The more expensive and the more luxurious anything is - the more it will depreciate in value !

A utilitarian truck/van will hold its value quite well over several years - whereas a Ferrari loses thousands off its value the moment it is out of the showroom!

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    You're right, it is a demand issue. They're "elite" instruments, and I suspect most people who buy them new, keep them regardless of resale value.