Why do my strings buzz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The B, Feb 20, 2005.

1. The B

The B

Feb 13, 2005
    Del Rio, Texas
    I'm pretty sure that this would be a string question...so that's why I posted here. Ok, I had some Ernie Ball Power Slinkies, and I restrung my bass about a week ago with the same kind of strings. Now, all of a sudden my low E and A string are buzzing whenever I play them, whether it be pick, finger, or slapped thumb. It doesn't hit the fret board at all unless slapping, and neither did the old strings. I even checked by holding down the first and 24th fret, wasn't touching the fret board and I could pluck the inside and no hitting (i think that's called the action). Are my strings just faulty or defective since the older string did not do this? Any help or comments would be great, and Thanks a lot.

The B - Adrian
  2. Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    Sounds to me like your neck got a little messed up when you changed the strings. Truss rod adjustment should take care of that pretty quick. Sometimes these things happen when you change strings, especially if you change all of them at the same time (meaning you take all the old strings off before putting the new ones on). Only change one string at a time if you didn't when this happened. And don't worry about the truss rod screwing up the feel of the bass, usually when strings buzz like that the adjustment needed to fix it is barely noticable.
  3. The B

The B

Feb 13, 2005
    Del Rio, Texas
    So if it was my truss rod, which way whould i adjust it?
  4. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    You have to set up your bass. It's not gonna do it all by itself, you know. :p

If your strings are buzzing at the low frets (but are good at the high ones), make the curve a bit larger. If they are buzzing at the high frets (but no buzz at the low frets), make it a bit smaller.

for bigger curve - counter-clockwise

for smaller curve - clockwise

Make sure you loosen the strings before you mess with the rod and do it in small increments (1/4 of a turn or so if you're new to this). Then retune and check. Do more messing with the rod as you see fit.

After you adjust the rod, I suggest leaving it for a few minutes or even applying a little pressure on the neck in that direction to help the wood get in it's new position.

If you get buzz both at the bottom and on top, you probably have to raise the bridge saddles a little.
  5. If your unsure about how to go about this (despite the instructions here), or don't trust yourself, go to a local guitar shop and have them set it up for you.