1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do need more than 4 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, May 2, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    i was going to buy this 6 string that was in my price range but i decided to sleep on it. Now I wake up with this question on my mind. Is it the novelty of the basses with more than 4 srtings or is there something musically that makes basses with more strings better than the old 4 string or so popular right now? So form a musical standpoint what is the use of more than 4 strings. It seems that a 4 string has served me well and I dont really see a need for more strings especially when i am not in a band and I dont see myself using the extra strings that often since most bass music was done with the 4 string in the first place. Tell me why do you need more than 4 strings? I have to be missing something.

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Not being in a band can lead some to a 6 string, as it did me.
    I've enjoyed transcribing old hymns to the bass. The treble clef has been a bunch of 2 note chords (so far) that are fun to translate to the bass. Some of it would have been near impossible with the 6.

I've been a long time 5 string player since first hearing gospel tunes dropping into the lower ranges of the 5 string.

4 strings are still as viable as ever. It still comes down to personal preference.

K

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    do a search. has been answered many times.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    This has been debated to death, but it is always such a valid discussion.

Just like K said, it comes down to preference and your situation.

If you are playing "solo" or in a fusion band where you get to stretch a lot, a 6-string bass can be useful.

Certain music styles have experience popularity with lower-than-E registers, like gospel, nu-metal, etc.

You can incorporate a low-B in almost anything, but, will it sound good, or enhance the performance?

There is a reason why so many "greats" played or still play 4-strings only. Besides familiarity, the range of a 4-string is often perfect for 99% of music - all kinds of music.

Nice grammar and punctuation there, Mister John Turner Moderator.

5. GarethBull

GarethBull

May 4, 2001
    It comes down to the very simple truth, more is better.

4 strings are good, but 5, 6 or 7 strings have more than 4 strings and because of that they're better.

It's exactly the same with drummers and cowbell, if some cowbell is good, more cowbell is better. :p

Now that I have you believing that, I happen to have a very lucrative and exlusive deal on a historic bridge that's for sale in Manhatten.......

6. Schecter6

Schecter6

Jan 26, 2006
    Vernon, TX
    I did not think tha after 12 years of 4 string I would ever use a 5er, but I got one and now I can't go with out that low B. I have since bought a 6 and wow, I sold the 4 and 5. 17 years after wondering why I wanted a bass to start with, I'm now looking for more strings!!!!!!!! I'M ADDICTED TO NOTES!!!!!!

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol :hyper:

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thumb rest. No kidding! I find it extremely comfortable to rest my thumb on the B string when pedaling.

Riis

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    seriously, though, you're joking, right? i mean, nevermind the grammatical play i executed on the title of the thread, but you're not seriously critiquing my post on english usage, are you?

oh, the irony. :hyper: :hyper: :bassist:

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Actually, I was. You must be missing the Caps key in your keyboard. Maybe you do this on purpose for whatever reason. (I guess I'm missing something - I have not been here long enough to know your posts.) I believe the originator of the post made a typo, not a grammar mistake.

Also, how do you do a search about a topic like this? Any keywords in the original post will yield thousands of threads. . . Certain topics might have been discussed many times, but they are next-to-impossible to find with the search feature.

Anyway, no need to hijack the threat - back to the topic, "Why do need more than 4 string."

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Why do need grammar class? These are just some of life's mysteries, my friend.

edit: I feel like I've missed something...and I think John Turner may have beat me to this joke. Hmph.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh.

the search function is a little dicey sometimes, but an advanced search of "extended range basses" brings up a lot of good conversations, especially if the search is limited just to the basses forum.

as for grammar corrections, one should always make sure their own grammar is good before attempting to correct someone else. you know, to avoid looking like a tool. :hyper:

do the missing capital letters offend? oooOOOooOOOooOOOOooo look ma, i'm offending people!!

13. A noob who sasses a mod and criticizes grammar while making many mistakes himself? Say it ain't so!

14. It isn't so.

As for a useful insight on this subject, do that search he mentioned. "Extended range basses" "5 string advantages" "5 string vs 4 string" That type of search will give you some results.

Also, you all have bad grammar.

15. my grammar was a nice old lady

16. Jomyo

Jomyo

Oct 6, 2005
    Redwood City, CA

nyuk! nyuk! nyuk! :D

17. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    So then, it's settled...extended range basses ARE comfier to play than 4s when riding a bicycle. I'd been pondering this...:D

18. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Getting back to your question, there is no right or wrong answer, it all depends upon the type of music you play. You yourself have admitted that playing a 4 string suits you just fine, and let's be honest here, most popular music whether jazz, funk, rock or whatever was more than likely created from a 4 string.

19. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I's not better or worse. With a 5 or 6 string you have more choices on what to play and how to play it. That dosen't make you a better player, It just means you have more to choose from.

The simple truth is
    It allows you to look at things differently.

I own a 4, 5 and a 6 string. and love playing all of them

I personally dont care how many strings a person has on their bass.

20. +1. i think we here on TB have to stress the search feature more then we already do.