Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do neighbors cut/weed whack at 9 A.M? (construction applies)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Anyone else ever have neighbors who decide they want to cut their grass really early in the mourning when you are trying to sleep? I don't understand this. One of the rudest things anyone can do. Easpically when you work and go to school, and actually need the sleep. The same goes with construction workers. Why do they start making noise at 8 in the mourning? Don't they believe in the concept of sleeping? Why would it hurt them to start doing work at 10 or 11 and stop being rude? Or maybe perhaps start working later in the afternoon when almost nobody is sleeping. I guess that would make too much sense.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Welcome to the real world.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    And get some earplugs.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wait, you're from Detroit and you spell morning like "mourning"?

THAT'S SWEET.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I gotta tell you... 9 AM isn't that early. I hate it when my sleep is disturbed by outside noise, but as far as I'm concerned, trying to catch any sleep after 8 AM is done at your own risk. Plus, it's a lot cooler at those hours, and for people who live in areas that get really hot, you do your work in the morning or pay for it later. I'd say your only options are learn to live with it, get to bed earlier, or move to Siberia.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't start this with me. I worked in construction for 17 years, and came across more than a handful of whiny people like yourself.

You want to know why I we don't start at 11AM? Because I would like to be home in time for dinner and spend time with my family!! YES, I believe in the concept of sleeping. That is why I would go to bed around 9PM when I had to be up at 5AM.

Now shut your mouth and buy some earplugs. :D

-Mike

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Come on down here to the deep south, where the temperature cracks 100° F regularly, and start cutting your grass at 11AM in August.

Let's see how well you hold up. ;)

8. Eight and Nine are not early. What time do you start work? What time did you start school?

Not that I'm getting up on a Saturday at 0700 to take care of the lawn...

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    +1000

Can't forget the +95% humidity.

10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Hit the nail on the head, Mike.... I'm in the carpentry biz...we start at 6AM whenever possible (some of the more upscale areas have laws against starting before 8AM :rollno: ).
    I usually get up at 4:15 AM. I have neighbors who have teeny bopper parties at their pool until 5AM. Complete with fireworks at random intervals of the night, and fights/burnouts on their front lawn. Needless to say, we have had words. :mad: But sometimes earplugs are just a godsend.

11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Oh yeah - sometimes in the summer, I step out of the house at 5AM, and immediately burst into a sweat (99% humidity, 90 degrees fahrenheit at 5AM). That is why we start early.i

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Sometimes I sleep through everything. Like storms with wind blowing my window blinds all over the place. People taking the wall litarly on the other side of my wall down. Lets not forget about the great bear attack of '04.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like how Bad Brains thinks the world revolves around him. Typical of the rampant egomania of kids these days.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Exactly. I do it in the evenings though. In the summer I don't start cutting the lawn before 7pm.

brad cook

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The world doesn't revolve around me, and i'm not a kid.

And i'm not really complaing here. I'm just curious to why people would do something so early. The morning is sleep time, if not for work or school I probbaly wouldn't wake up untill around noon or 1 pm.

I also like to complain because you people like to listen!

16. Well,.....I can sympathize. I love the staying up late and sleeping late. At one time in my life I use to put in about 50 hours a week on my job and play out Friday and Saturday, so when Sunday morning came I would sleep late.

But I do have one question for you.

Are you freakin serious? :D

The world will not stop so you can sleep!

:D [Construction worker] ummmmm,.....excuse me Mrs. Bad Brains, is it umm okay if we start work now?? Is Mr. Bad Brains still sleeping? He is.....umm okay.... we'll go now. ....Sorry Mr. Smith we can't put the roof on your house yet, he's still sleeping[/Construction worker] :D

And this is coming from a person who has a neighbor who blow dries his Harley with a leaf blower.

Buy yourself some earplugs and a dark shade, it worked for me.

17. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Besides, what about the poor farmer that woke up at 5am that would like some sleep? Bet he wants noise gone by.. oh.. 4 or 5pm.
    Then of course, you have the second and third shifters.

I got it.. to satisfy everyone, Noisy activities are permitted to occur between 1:12pm and 1:54pm. 42 minutes a day. This should suffice.

All band members must take a late lunch at their day jobs for rehearsal, unless of course you don't have a yard to mow that day at 1:12.

Construction workers now have 4 years to complete all projects, no matter how small.

Seriously...
    By 9am, most people I know (myself included) are already at the first coffee break of the day. It's the real world man. I'd give anything to actually have a 9am wake-up be my biggest worry.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You can start whining about things like this when you work midnight shift. 9 aint early.

19. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a change of pace for this thread.

Set aside someone mowing their lawn or building a fence at 7am on a weekday. How about that neighbor that calls the cops at 1pm on a Saturday when you and a friend are jamming in the garage at a medium level.

That's what always gets me. I've stood outside while my band played (with someone filling in on bass) and listened and it was not nearly as loud as the lawnmower and hammers (some of which were going on at the same time). Yet the neighbors still decide that our little bit of noise is too much for them to take.

Meanwhile, the same neighbors have to "warm up" their rediculously large suburban (one of those extremely loud upgraded ones) by revving it 80 times at 7am right when I get home and try to sleep (I work 24 hour shifts and get off work at 7). But do I call the cops? nooooooo.

Now THAT makes me angry.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I hear ya! We used to start at 6AM as well. Every once in awhile, we would get a neighborhood with a noise ordinance that would not let us start until 8AM, which was really lame.

BB....you'll grow out of your desire to sleep all the time soon.

-Mike