Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do non-supporting members get to post for sale ads on the DB side?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by bassmonkeee, Jun 20, 2005.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Of the 15 most recent for sale ads on the DB side, 10 were started by non-supporting members.

What's up with that? :eyebrow:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    PM Chris F. I had made mention of the double standards too.... Chris' thoughts on it make some sense.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Honestly, I'd rather have an answer for all to see than a private message just to me.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    then PM him this thread ;)

5. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    It's my call. I don't see exactly what's 'unfair' about it... The decision was made simply because the DB classifieds are not at the point where a supporters-only restriction would make sense. Some day the DB classifieds will be 'healthy' enough to handle such a restriction, but not now.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    BM - rather than try to type what I said in the moditorium thread again, I'll just paste it:

"It isn't so much that "DB isn't part of the CUP"...it's just that the DB market is so incredibly small and esoteric that DB issues need to be treated a little differently. For instance, in Louisville - technically the 16th largest city in the country by the latest census figures - there isn't a single dedicated DB luthier, and there isn't a store of any kind in which DB related items figure into even 5% of total sales. For this reason, Paul has been kind enough to allow Jon and myself (and Sam before Jon) to play the role of "Mayberry police" in our small little town. I know I've done my best to make sure that our two major players on the board in terms of DB related sales items (Bob G and Gary U) get equal treatment and no one gets favored.

The bottom line for us cellar dwellers in DB is that TB is doing a great service for DB players around the world in giving us a place to discuss what gear is actually available. If there were lots of members of the DB board who were dealers pretending to be regular users, then it would be too much trouble to police with just one or two mods. But as it is, most folks on the DB side of the board are just grateful to have a place to go to find out about gear that many folks couldn't find in a store within a 100-500 mile radius (or greater) of where they live. This was the case with me - ALL of the gear in my current gig rig, which I gig on about 100 times a year, came from out of state, and I learned about every single piece of it on TB. Here in Louisville, I could find most of the gear under discussion in the BG forums in a store within a 20 minute drive from my house. That's a considerable difference, and I think that's why Paul lets us have more latitude with the CUP. I know for a fact that if he thought the the DB forums were being abused, he'd let us know. :)

In short, the DB world is so small that most DBers are thrilled to find ANY DB stuff for sale. I requested that Paul allow Jon and I to moderate the forum to keep dealers out, and he graciously allowed us to do so. I'm still keeping my eyes open for weasels. :)