1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do people always make jokes about bass players?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tamz, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Last night I watched a show and this guy was talking about how they came up with a name for their band and he said very sarcastically "Well actually.... the "BASS PLAYER" had an idea". I always hear these sort of comments like their trying to say bass players are stupid. What I want to know is why does everyone seem to think that? I've seen plenty of stupid guitarists and singers.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't think they believe bass players are stupid. We're just ... etherial. We're aloof in our own world of groove. I take pride in the fact that Steve Martin makes fun of not only bass players, but geologists, too in his stand-up routine.

Arion likes this.
  3. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    Because making fun of the singer is too easy.

4. Hi.

A line I used back in the day when a young bassplayer was endlessly joked on while setting up on the venue I worked with.

Q: Why are the bass player jokes always so short?
    A: Because if they weren't, the singers wouldn't be able to understand them and the drummers wouldn't be able tell them.

Regards
    Sam

Arion and ncleonard like this.
  5. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry? What did you say!? I didn't hear your comment!! Should I turn the Parliament blasting in my headphones down!? Ah... thats better...

So what were you saying?

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I hear this: Drummers are stupid(but they own the pa system) and you're just a Bass player.Either way without the two you don't have a band. :p

7. Abintra

Abintra

Apr 21, 2010
    I think its fun that thee are jokes about bass players, that has in a way a opposite affirmation when putting the joke aside. Also i like doing all kinds of qrazy stuff just to feed the image...

We incorporated a system of ERROR LEVELS in our band for the fun of it when someone does something stupid, of course im way ahead of anyone else there. :D

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    They make jokes about any and all instrumentalists as well as singers ,conductors, taxi drivers, cooks,teachers and whatever else on might care to mention, so where is the problem.

If you a problem , just don't feed them.

9. Next time you have this happen, just say this:

"Do you know what a (offending band member's) girlfriend does with her @$$hole after sex?

wait for it.....

She drops him off at band practice!

BnB

10. Did you guys hear about the bassist who locked his keys in the car?

It took him 3 hours to get the drummer out. (insert rim shot).

There's just as many jokes for any instrument. Take them for what they are...jokes.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The lead singer walks into the bar 2 hours early for setup.

The bartender looks up and says: "What is this? Some kind of Joke?"

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

There is this expedition in the deep jungles of Africa. As the westerner and his local trackers get deeper and deeper into the jungle, they hear, louder and louder, the beat of the local tribe's drums... Brum pa ba bum. Brum pa ba bum. The westerner asks the trackers what this is and they say, "Just keep walking." Louder and louder the fierce drumming continues... Brum pa ba bum! Brum pa ba bum!! The westerner continues to get more and more nervous until... all of a sudden, the drumming suddenly stops. The trackers suddenly turn and run in the opposite direction, screaming, "Run! Run!!!" The westerner, not knowing what is happening, turns and runs with the trackers, asking what is happening. As the trackers continue to run with terrible fear in their eyes, the lead tracker yells, "Run! Bass solo!"

13. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Because bass players are the only ones in the band with a sense of humor!

Arion likes this.
  14. What does a stripper do with her "*******" before work in the morning? She drops him off at band practice.

What is the difference between a BC Rich and a vacuum cleaner? The dirtbag goes in a different place.

How do you know if a bad drummer is knocking on your door? The knock speeds up.

How many singers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None, she just holds it in the socket and waits for the world to revolve around her.

Why were the Jazz guitarists in line at the bank? I don't know either.

Arion likes this.
  15. Blown Cone

Blown Cone

May 14, 2008
    Vancouver
    [/thread] :D

16. CayceG

CayceG

Feb 14, 2009
    Cookeville, TN
    One word:

Jealousy. :bag:

17. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    regarding the whole 'bass player as whipping boy' thing...

i've had my share of stick as one. and a friend of mine in a band i drum in (yes, i know) - anyway, he has t-shirt that says, 'don't listen to me, i'm just the bass player' :D

ANYWAY back on topic - after years of piss taking - i've suddenly noticed that my musician friends are taking an interest in the bass, like starting to play it and get really enthusiastic about basslines and the aesthetic of bass - instead of just going, 'well, he's hitting the root notes so that's OK'.

I'm talking about people who have been playing music all their adult lives. I'm sure many of you have experienced this, but it's something that has been really noticeable for me lately.

i guess my point is, those who know music, respect the bass player. :)

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    fixed

19. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Nah, bassists have it easy. Look up viola jokes sometime...

Q: What do a viola solo and peeing your pants have in common?
    A: You can't hear them, but they are a source of great embarrassment.

Q: What's the difference between a viola solo and peeing your pants?
    A: A viola solo doesn't give you that nice warm feeling.

20. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    what do you call a guy always hamging around musicians?

a drummer