Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why do people care about being trendy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Why do so many people try to be trendy?
    This isn't a rant on how i hate trendy people or popular people. I just dont understand or even comprehend the mindset of spending 30 dollars on a T shirt from abercrombie to look "KoOl"
    First off let me explain my situation. I come from a family where music is dominate. My dad is a hammond player who plays mostly, late 60s/70s rock and listens to alot of older punk music(descendents - i dont wanna grow up, milo goes to college type stuff). My mom listens to the misfits and the ramones, shes 51 and my dads 52. I wasn't brought up in a home that says "you have to be accepted by buying into an image." Im not saying "Im punk rawk!" or anything. But I was brought up to be an individual.
    My parents aren't really ya know, any kind of stereotype, sept maybe an old peoples stereotype. My mom goes to walmart and my dad is a postal service worker and Retired Master Sergent in the Military. I have alot of friends now who like to goto the mall and buy 30 dollar shirts from Abercrombie and fitch. They also dig buying pants for 110 bucks. I simply dont understand the Mall or anything thats "popular" or social. I just cant comprehend it. So im askin you good people at talkbass to tell me why people want to buy 30 dollar t shirts?? why cant they just goto the thrift store or like walmart or something?? What makes you so cool if you have expensive clothes??
    Does it really prove anything??
    I just get this feeling like the youth of america, doesn't have a mind of its own. I could be wrong though.(I hope)

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I've always wondered the same thing, too. And for the most part I refuse to buy into big brand names like A&F, GAP, and the like. I have shirts that look and feel just as nice, and they were quite nice on the pocket book. I don't care where my clothes come from... Ross, Walmart, JCPenny, whatever. I always wear what I think feels good and looks good.

I dunno if I'd call people who buy into A&F mindless (though many really seem like it), but they definately aren't origional or individual. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Gotta pay $30 shirts to feel good about what you wear, then go for it. I'm not gonna waste my money on the trend of the minute.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I shop at Kohls. Jeans are no more than 30 dollars, usually less than 20. Shirts are 10 to 15. No need to spend more than that. If people judge me by the clothes I wear, then good for them, They won't be my friends. My friends don't care where I shop or what I wear. I don't even care what I wear or where I shop.

I know the cuttent trend is to be anti-trend, but for me, it's not a trend. IT's how I've been my entire life.

I'd rather save my money up to buy the Carvin Series III R1000 head that I want to get......

If I only spend $30 on a pair of jeans, when someone else spends $100 for one pair, I get $70 more dollars to spend elsewhere than they do.

10 pairs of jeans equals my amp......

4. Addiction to trendiness is a character defect caused by the absence of sufficient bass playing. Bass players NEVER follow trends, now. Do they? I mean, have you ever heard of anyone buying a bass because of the name on the headstock?

5. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    JCpenny dude. Crazy shirts and not really big brands. Top heavy and M&O. Ever erd of them. $15 tops and Comfortable. They seem pretty kule to me aniwai.

I'd never wear anything that says Gap or Fubu!

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    IMO for the most part it's about being accepted. A few years back it was the grunge scene with everyone wearing flannels, and before that (my era) it was the whole preppy thing, collars up, etc - (cringes in horror). If you stray from the norm in many situations you're more or less labeld as an outcast instead of being unique or individual. As a whole people want to feel like they belong or are a part of something and are willing to pay a cost to be associated with the "cool / trendy" scene. It's really kind of sad.

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No... Never! Why... That would be preposterous! :eek:

:rolleyes:

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yeah.. i know what you mean nick.

I should have refraised Mindless a little better. It seems the majority of kids ive ran into that are ya know "like tottallllllllyy lets goto abreeeeccrooooombie and like totally get some happenen threadsssss like furrrrrreal!!!!" Ive noticed they just follow the rest of the flock of the sheep of the USA. I know actually one girl who shops at A&F whos not like "im so trendy"
    She just likes the clothes and whatnot. More power to her if it makes her happy. But the majority of them ive met have there head in a cloud and think they are this all powerful being cause they are being ripped off by coperate america.

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What's even worse than the abercrombie trend is the Hot Topic trend.

I have a good slogan for Hot Topic...

"Fight the trends!! Buy the clothes that do at your local Hot Topic."

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    That stuff only seems to last until you hit 20 or so. Then, people stop caring about what other people are wearing (probably because there are other things to worry about) and just wear whatever the hell feels comfortable.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Trendy? I GAG on all the pop culture, so i just go to wal mart, or the mall, see something i like, and get it. just happens that none of these clothes i like have giant names on the front and back to make me a walking advertisment. But then again, i'm weird.... i mean, everyday i wake up, put on some black dockers, a black shirt, and a long sleve black dress shirt, not tucked in, of course. So ignore my ranting lunacy. I'm a wacko.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    YEAH! fight trends by becoming real trendy! Now, where is that shirt that has that stupid , meaningless joke writen on the front and back?!?!?! OH THERE IT IS, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE.
    Used to hang out in there with people that worked there. they all hated it, they said it was to commercial, and i agree. it's sad. Also, the whole trendy thing is about fitting in, not what makes you look "Good" or the "In" style. ....like, your gonna tell me, the "In" style is a plain shirt with a certian logo on it? please.

13. Maybe it makes them happy. Maybe they want to spend that kind of money on stuff. Why did I buy three planks of wood and metal that cost $350 apiece? Because they made me happy and I wanted them. I'm sure to the "mindless" people, our bass buying/playing/etc seems foolish. It's just one of those things that really doesn't matter. I gave up caring about such things, and I'm much happier now.

14. Hey you Foxygrandpa,,,Here's a way around the tendy clothes thing,,,don't wear any clothes,,walk around butt naked in your B-day suite...now that beats trendy, unless you go to Berkely of course:rolleyes:

Fetch!

15. Because some people are idiots.

My friend is exactly like that. He worries about the slightest things, from his hair to his clothes.

16. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I don't worry about trends and styles.

Heck, that leisure suit I bought 25 years ago looked good on me then and it STILL looks good on me now!

:D

17. dprives

dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    To some degree it’s about being accepted and looking cool. Some people need to feel that they are a part of the “in” crowd to validate their self worth and they do that by purchasing the same shoes that Jlo wears. On the other hand, quality clothing does cost more than poorly constructed clothing. Personally I wouldn’t be caught dead in anything purchased at Target or Walmart. Their clothes are shizit. Like shoes, I would buy a $150 pair of Docs 10 times over before I bought a pair of Sketchers for $65. The quality is worth the cost for me. However, I wouldn’t spend 30 bucks for a t-shirt either. It’s kind of like bass gear. Some people can’t tell the difference between a Wish bass and a Carl Thompson or a Rogue and Stingray. You probably can , but maybe you can’t tell the difference in clothing. I wouldn’t buy a Wish bass and I wouldn’t buy my clothes at discount department stores. On another tip, I don’t get buying a $75K car. I mean, I can tell it’s a nice car but a $20K car will get the job done for me. It’s all about what is important to the individual.

D

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting and germaine comments above. I'd like to add the following: I don't understand why some people are anti-trendy. This can take a number of forms:

1) Hyper-trendies, those who reject a trend simply because it becomes popular to the masses: "oh, that's so 15 minutes ago, I've matured since then".

2) Cranky curmudgeons: "Kids these days, they don't make music like they used to when I was growing up!"

3) Snobs: "[jazz/classical/avant-garde] is true art; I'm too sophisticated to listen to anything else".

:)

19. That reminds me of when I was a kid in the 70s. everyone was looking for really esoteric groups that no one had ever heard of before. They would leave the LP sleeve next to the record player, and ostentatiously put the record away when you walked into their rooms with a, "well, I guess I'd better put the Led Zep on for you, then..."

20. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hmmm good points fuzzbass..
    goood points everybody else too..
    as far as shoes go.. i buy my 30 dollar converse red hightop allstars that i always have... ( i used to skate in em, never wanted to buy dcs, they cost to much and they weighed too much)
    I can pardon the price tag if the quaility is there, but 30 dollars for a t shirt is a bit too much. I goto marshalls and buy my stuff... Structure button up shirts for 10 bucks. I dont care what company makes the clothes i wear as long as the logo is not all over the shirt or pants or whatever. But I just pickout a bunch of stuff, put it on, if it fits and feels good, then ill buy it. Marshalls is the greatest store ever.
    It kinda is like having a bass sorta, I rather have a stringray over a rogue. . Although some rogue's aren't as bad as everyone says. Ive played 1 rogue that was better than a fender MIM. So therefore, I rather search for a good bass by a decent company thats cheaper than just picking one up that cost 1000 dollars more; and thats just as good as an expensive bass but with a different name on the head stock. Its not about whats on the headstock. A good musician can make any instrument sound good with good technique although you'd sound even better with a better instrument! For example, my guitar teacher picked up a Squier bullet and made it sound just as good as this kid with a gibson lespaul picking crazy train in the corner at mars. Sure the kid has a gibson Les paul and he has been playing a couple years. But put a lower quality instrument in the hands of someone whos had 40 plus years experience on electric guitar and he can probably make it sound like the voice of God or something.