1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do people care about how many pieces make up a Fender body when...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    ...most of the high-end expensive boutique basses seem to have multi-piece bodies?!

2. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Snobbish bragging rights.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If you have a clear ("natural") or transparent tint (like suburst) the dividing lines between pieces are more or less evident. In this instance, fewer pieces (with one piece being optimal) are better, and matching of the grain and color of the pieces determines how good or awful your bass will look to those who evaluate such things.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Something more to @itch about on TB?

5. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Two reasons..either aesthetics like scottbass mentioned or structural stability..a multi-piece body is far less prone to warping and grain-splitting than a single slab.

6. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Years ago I owned a stock 1973 Fender Jazz that had a five piece body (it looked like they didn't even attempt to match the grain between the pieces) under the original natural finish.

It was also was one of the best Jazz basses that I had ever heard. I sold it because someone offered me a ridiculous amount of money for it; if I had the chance again, I would keep it... :crying:

I would be the first say that I believe that a one piece body would sustain/resonate more than a multi piece body; that 73 Jazz is proof to me that it is not always the case.

Moonshine :bassist:

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    This is exactly my point. People made a big deal about 3-4 piece bodies on p-style basses and everyone seems to think less is more, with the ultimate holy grail being the elusive 1-piece body! But my understanding is a multi-piece body is stronger, will not warp, etc. And in all honestly, think it really has no effect on sound. If single piece bodies were THAT much better, or even two-piece bodies for that matter, I'm sure all the high-end makers would be doing that.

My '76 P is a 3-piece sunburst body and you can clearly see that grain matching was not a priority, but the bass sounds HUGE compared to my 2-piece 50's Classic P. (The 50's Classic sounds great, just different. Plus I think the 50's Classic is Alder with an Am. Std. pup and weighs 8.8 lbs, while the '76 P is Ash with a '62 RI pup, and weighs 10.0 lbs.)

8. someone make me a bass with the most knotted gnarly lookin pine board you can find. then stain it translucent purple.

9. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    There's a guy local to me that makes some pretty sweet custom Tele's from knotty pine and cedar,and my fav of his finishes is a deep translucent plum ..I've been curious about such a bass myself.

10. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I had a bc rich warlock that when I stripped the paint off it clearly was one piece of plywood........

11. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Correct on all points..

12. Not REALLY true. A good eye when matching up the grains can lead to a seamless looking body, no matter how many pieces. It's just easier with a 2-3 piece body than it is with a 5 piece.

That being said, my MIM P has better grain matching on its 5 pieces than my MIA P5 did. I could see the lines on the P5 from 5' away, but had to look from about 2' to see them on the MIM.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't think it is nearly as cut and dry as you think. You seem to be of the opinion that most people prefer one piece bodies. I don't find that to be the case at all. Sure, there are plenty of people who do. But I find almost as many who prefer multi-piece bodies, and the vast majority don't care one way or the other. It's similar to bolt-on vs neck through basses. The ones who have a preference will tout the "advantages" of their favorite. But the ones on the other side of the debate will as well. So your question kind of seems to me to be asking "Why do most people prefer one piece bodies?" And my answer is that I don't find that to be the case at all. A majority don't care, and a certain percentage actually want a multi-piece body.

14. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Agreed... I've got a Squier VM Jazz with excellent wood grain matching. You have to look closely to see the pieces. It looks very nice.
    I've seen them with terrible grain matching too. So much so that it would prevent me from a purchase.
    To me, the whole idea of a natural or see thru finish is to showcase some awesome woodgrain..

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my hwy one had matched grain also, so i guess sometimes you luck out

16. BIG tone difference between a one solid piece vs. 2 piece - VERY BIG!

;)

17. in all honesty - its just more rare, thats all.

anything more rare is more desirable

18. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Sometimes manufacturers will apply a thin veneer cap which will negate the necessity for the number of laminate pieces underneath to match up grain-wise and remove the issue of any wood defects, join lines showing, etc.

This body is from a Squier Affinity Jazz bass 5. This one was not even transparent, it was a solid blue color when I stripped it. I just found it (pleasantly) interesting that it had a veneer cap on it. I guess it is more cost effective sometimes to apply the veneer on ALL the bodies at the factory (even the solid colored ones) not just the bodies marked for a transparent finish?

103_2402.

19. Most of the high end basses with laminated bodies have different woods in it with the intention to achieve a specific tone, stiffness, vibration transfer, etc.

Another thing is to build a 5 piece body of the same type of wood because you dont find or want to pay a piece of tree with the size of a bass body...

lesclaypool.

20. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    When was the last time anyone has seen a warped bass or guitar body???
    And even if it did, big deal. Adjust your saddles and pick ups and play. If it effects the neck pocket, rout it square.