1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do people cheap out with their cars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I never understood the mentality of "cheaping" out your car. I'm not talking about ugly body kits or spinning rims, I'm talking about opting for cheaper, necessary replacement parts when you could afford better.

Examples: Buying an economy battery, the cheaper brakes, buying no-name oil, economy/touring tires or only replacing the one or two tires that need it most when all 4 would be a good idea.

This is something you depend on everyday to get you to where you need to go, wouldn't it make sense to use the best you can afford?

2. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I buy all my car parts from Tommy Boy... no guarantee on the box, but why would you want one anyway...

3. Completely agree with this! :D

4. Just because a part is twice as expensive, doesn't mean it's twice as good.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The most prominent name brand doesn't always mean the best nor does the most expensive always mean the best.

Did you know that car batteries are all made by three different companies that brand them for various retailers? I buy Everstart batteries from Wal-Mart because they've always treated me well and they get good ratings from Consumer Reports as well as other users in auto forums and whatnot. That's not cheaping out, it's being economical. Why spend a lot of money when you can get equal performance for less? That makes no sense.

Now as to why you'd just replace two tires...ya got me on that one.

bc

6. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I had a Maxima once that I bought after it came back from a lease... it was a great car and it had all it's oil change reciepts etc... but it appeared as if in the three years of the lease they hadn't rotated the tires... the two fronts were well worn and the rears were perfectly fine... I replaced the two fronts...

7. Maybe the cheapest is the most you can afford?

I have yet to consciously cheap out my car, but I try and get by with what I know will strike a balance between cheapest and still serviceable longevity.

I bought replacement rotors. I was told to go domestic (Belden, iirc) and they warped within a few months time with NO abuse / emergency stops. For a like vehicle (I have two Jeep Cherokees), I went with the overseas made equivalent, and the rotors were crosscut, and otherwise, imo, better, and have yet to give me trouble after a year. And cheaper.

There's often negligable difference between an OEM part and a discount chain part...and you DO realise there are markups that are brand dependent, don't you?

You could have a Chevy, Pontic and Saturn automobile that share a common part. When it comes time to replace said part, the Pontiac part will almost always be more expensive. I find that ludicrous. The key is to be knowledgeable.

I just had my 96 Cherokee overheat this morning. I know it's the Thermostat. I will definitely go to CAP and get a replacement for 10 bucks vs. the 20+ dollar Chrysler equivalent. It's just common sense.

8. I drive a 92 grand marquis, it's leaks a quart of oil every two weeks and the radiator makes a great sieve. If only one tire needs to be replaced, I'll do one. The car could die at any moment, I'm not getting 4 new tires, just to have them become wheel on my "shootin' car". I am also not buying the most expensive brakes, the cheaper ones work just fine.

9. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I keep that great GM feeling. :)

10. I totally agree with the OP.

My first boss drove a top model merc, used supermarket oil, kmart tyres and held it full throttle until it warmed up.

The pain in our eyes when we heard that poor car start cold and hit the rev limiter for about a minute or two.

Total moron.

11. I don't know but I'm going to assume they are the same people that work on their cars in the parking lot, in front of the auto parts store :eyebrow: :confused: :rollno:

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    What I've never understood is intentionally cheaping out on the car itself and then putting 3x the cost of the car into "nonsense" like rediculously oversized fins on the trunk deck, excessive body molding, spinning rims, neon lights underneath, a big fart pipe exhaust, etc.

I realize some people may think those things look cool and that they personally look even cooler driving such a vehicle but to me it's a waste of money. Why not just buy a car that's in better condition? Personally I think a nice looking car doesn't need all that stuff and I also think that even a junker looks worse with it.

That's of course just my opinion.

13. That's one of my pet peaves. I often see people with 5K wheels and tires on a $1500 car parked in front of a 3K mobile home. It just amazes me where some peoples priorities lie. :rollno:

14. It's all about the bling man, you mean your value sets DON'T fall in line with the latest rap videos? :meh: What I love even more is when said bling is purchased with money from "state assistance", if you get my meaning.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And whats more, they're eating beans from the tin at their 20 year old breakfast table inside!

16. Indeed, or even worse, state assistance is not only paying for the wheels but the extortionate interest rates from the rent to own tire/wheel shop :eyebrow: Can you imagine paying the miniumum due each month on 5K at 22% interest?? I think I need to open one of those shops :cool:

17. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I use the cheap brakes. They wear evenly, and for 1/3 or less of the price, last just about as long as the expensive ones.

I use SuperTech oil filters from WalMart. Tests have shown that they are superior to Fram, and are one of the top-quality filters on the market. A lot cheaper too.

I also use SuperTech oil. It's OIL. Comes from the same holes in the ground, the same refineries. As long as it's rated properly for my engine, it doesn't matter.

Tires... I look at cost per mile. I'll buy a $80 tire with a 70,000mile life instead of a $50 tire with a 30,000 mile life.

All my cars run just fine. I don't like to spend money where it's not needed. I also change my own brakes, oil, and do any maintenance or repair that I am capable of doing myself.

18. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    You'd love the bozos where I live. Take a 15 year old Honda Civic worth a few hundred bucks, jack it up, put $1500 in rims on it, tint the windows, a huge stereo system, extra body parts... and then maybe have a bad paint job to top it off.

What a bunch of freakin' MORONS.

Sorry, but when I was 18 -- I was nowhere near that stupid.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Why should I buy the expensive stuff when my wife drives 50,000 a year and the car will die before then? If the car already has 175,000 miles on it, I'm not putting expensive batteries, belts, etc on it when I will get rid of it in less than a year because it throws a rod or the transmission blows.

But, because she drives 50,000 year I do keep up with the maintenence. Oil change every 3,000. Fluid change every 50,000. Tire rotation every 6,000. The trick is to do it yourself. $500 for breaks at a delaership? I don't think so. I'll do em myself for $150.

20. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Aging Former Bass Player
    ahh, I'm not saying you're wrong, but when I was 18 I had a whole bunch of bass gear that some said would have been better off spent on something else... I'm glad I didn't listen though.