1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do people complain and hate on lower priced clones for stealing and rave about expensive clones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spoono Ghiefardi, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Im talking about people talking **** about Behringer for ripping of a pedal or amp and then turn around and rave about their clone they just got. I really don't see the difference. Except that you're ******** on the poorer musicians. I own behringer and joyo, as well as expensive clone products and love all of them. It should really be about to each their own, but it never fails. Please discuss.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2017
    gregmon79, jcsk8, fretter and 7 others like this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Many humans lack an ability to fairly judge their own behavior.

Many of these same humans simultaneously judge the behavior of others with a similar degree of unfairness.

3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Opinions. Everyone has one eh?o_O

kobass, bassbully and micbass like this.
  4. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I don't care what the name is on a piece of gear
    If it sounds good or is inspiring then great for the user

realwolfen, Leiria, Nunovsky and 10 others like this.
  5. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    I said that "It should really be about to each their own, but it never fails."

bassstation and realwolfen like this.
  6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    All of the "boutique clones" I've owned (or still own) are usually inspired by certain circuits but revamped in some great way- maintaining the original vibe but also becoming something next level and new.
    They're also thoughtfully built with quality materials by hand and usually of a limited or unique run.
    I may be way off here but most of the cheapie clone pedals I see being flipped in the classifieds look to be straight up copies of whatever vintage effect & mass produced into oblivion. Not my style, but yes, everyone's opinion and gear standard will vary.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    When you compare the Behringer clone to a boutique version, you can have different viewpoints.

You can totally focus on what comes out of the cabinets. When the $29 behringer clone of a $200 pedal
    nearly nails the sound, there's a strong reason to gravitate towards the cheap version. If the boutique version is ten times as much and only fractionally better, why spend so much hard earned cash on a stompbox you'll use for two songs tops.

As a boutique buyer you envision a super small workshop where someone with a vision - and some chops on guitar or bass, maybe even with a few records made with his band(s) and touring experience under his belt sits and crafts pedals from the finest materials known to him, putting in labour, sweat and love. You much prefer to share this vision and spend five to ten times the cheap model would cost. You bought from a small business. Maybe even local.

8. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    So only buy "boutique" pedals? Never buy from the large companies then? See where I'm getting at? Not every musician is in the US and even more so doesn't make enough money to buy these pedals. I don't get the negative feelings towards cheaper clones. I mean is everyone gonna stop buying TC products because behringer owns them now? PS not arguing just debating. Huge difference. :)

kodiakblair likes this.
  9. My Joyo American Sound really did sound very nice. Their take on the OCD, the Ultimate Drive pedal to be a little darker and less clear sounding than the original (or better quality clones). So some clones are really good and others are just good copies.

10. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Well since every OCD sounds different depending on the year, I feel like its just another version of it. I've heard people say if you don't have the first version you're wasting your money and talk down on others. I mean I can't be the only one that sees all the negativity on TB?

11. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    The B company copies from their competitors products (they have been known to copy the mistakes in the original) and then has those copies made in factories that can produce them for pennies to the dollar of the original. Do you believe that is an ethical business model?

-Frank

12. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    I don't believe any company is really ethical. They're all out to make as much money as possible. So to say that one company is good and one is "evil" for cloning their products is silly. Also my horse is not that high. So to be honest I don't care, as long as it works. I say this while using Google, drinking a pepsi, while eating chocolate from africa.

13. It's not that it's a variation of the OCD, it's a lot less clear and sounds slightly muffled in comparison.
    I built a Fuzzdog clone of the OCD and I tailored my OCD to exactly how I wanted it, so I'm well aware of what a good OCD circuit sounds like. But I found the UD to be muffled and less clear than any OCD or OCD variant I've tried. It's not a bad pedal but it's not a great clone.

Roberto Nunez and Nunovsky like this.
  14. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Huh? What are the cheap clones of Google, Pepsi and your chocolate from africa?

-Frank

15. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Companies people continue to support that have questionable ethical business practices.

16. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Most people are totally unaware of those companies questionable ethical business practices. Hell, I will have to look up what you are referring to about those companies. OTOH most people into gear knows exactly what B company is about... I got rid of everything I owned that B company had cloned years ago when I found out what they were about.

-Frank

blindrabbit, soulstew, MDBass and 4 others like this.
  17. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Some of the clones are close-but-not-the-same, and so there is some room for the arrogance. The example I always bring up is the EHX Soul Food: amazing pedal at a fantastic price, but the Klon is still a superior pedal even if the difference is slight. Is it worth the price difference? Well, that is up to your ears.

But if it is the same pedal or produces the same effect, the only difference is the history of the pedal itself. Some pedals do have a mojo to them to players who appreciate their legacy. But that is playing a historical pedal differently because of its history, not the sound itself.

Mili, TonyP- and Spoono Ghiefardi like this.
  18. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Yeah if thats how you roll ethically, get ready to stop using most of the products that are in your house lol.

maxschrek and alaskaleftybass like this.
  19. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm really trying to ignore the ethics that my parents brought me up by. How did you do it?

-Frank

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Honestly? I started thinking for myself and asking questions.

maxschrek and el jeffe bass like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.