Why do people dislike 2005-2007 Fender MIA Std. J-Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BullHorn, Jul 7, 2008.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Is it the S-1? Is there something else I've missed?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

The S-1 doesn't see very popular with Jazz or P bass fans.

Same with gui****s. The Teles and Strats with s-1 switching don't seem well recieved.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yeah, not many really liked the S1 switch, that is until 30 years from now when they'll be "super rare" on the "vintage" market. :eyebrow:

4. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    I believe it was 2003 to 2007 for the S1. I own a 04 with a S1 and I had an 05 with S1 as well. I never really use it except for one song that I need to have one volume knob to go in and out right at the end. If the switch is disengaged it is a standard Jazz.

I love my 04 MIA, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I have a Bad ass 3 on it now though!
    [​IMG]

5. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I was always a little puzzled by the S1 hatin' myself...

I had a MIA Jazz Bass with the S1 switch in it, and that thing worked great. As I understand it you can switch between parallel and series wiring with that and the sound with it engaged was much bigger and beefier than the "standard" Jazz tone.

It also eliminated the 60 cycle hum when the pickups were not both set to full.

It made the bass a lot more versatile to me.

Let's review: Bigger tone, MORE tones, and no hum...what's not to like? And if you don't like it, you just don't use it, then the bass sounds exactly like a non-S1 equipped instrument.

But few things in the world of bass are more sacred than ye olde Jazz, so maybe messing with that formula just upset some folks.

I also have a MIA Precision with the S1, and in that case it truly is useless. Fender claimed it made the P sound more like a Jazz...not bloodly likely! All it did was take the fat barking tone we love and make it thin, flat, and lifeless.

But again, if you don't want it, don't switch it on. I replaced the knob that has the S1 switch with a standard chrome barrel and then you don't even know it's there.

I've also heard some folks say that the S1 "kills the tone, even when it's not on" but if it does, I sure can't hear it. I had an older Jazz and the S1 version at the same time, sounded absolutely identical to me.

Same with the P. I have 2 of those, with and without the S1...no tonal difference at all.

6. Max

Max

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have the S-1 Jazz and have nothing but love for it. Jazz growl but a fat bottom end with the switch engaged.

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I don't really get it either for all the reasons aforementioned. I go between S1 or pups full on for the most part, and it really just makes it a more versatile bass. But as for saying "it makes it sound like a P", now that I own a [knockoff] P, I think I can say that something's missing.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

It's not that the American Series basses were terrible. It's just that Fender finally adressed some issues that really needed attention with the new American Standards.

First seems to be choice of wood. Lot's of boat anchor heavy American Series basses. The new ones seem to be much lighter, and all the weight reduction wasn't in the headstock.

FINALLY knocked it off with the rediculously thick finishes. This has been a problem with Fenders for many years. Nice that they finally adressed this one.

Lot's of people have been griping for years about the bent tin bridge. Lot's of the competition have been using better quality bridges, and Fender has adressed this with the new High Mass bridge that still keeps most of the vintage type charatcter. It's a quality piece IMO.

The feel of the neck has been improved IMO. I"ve palyed the new and old back to back, and it's definitly a step up.

The S-1 thing? Yeah, you can ignore it I guess, or replace it. Thing is that it's a wart on a gracefully simple instrument IMO.
    If most people aren't using it, why bother putting it on there. Sure, it was a nice attempt, but messing with the basic P or J is like messing with mother nature. Never a good idea. Offer it on the Deluxes or something if you want, or mod a A.S. if you must have it. It was a solution in search of a problem IMO.

Fretwork dramaticly improved. This is a BIGGIE IMO.

Fret sprout plauged almost every American Series bass I've had my hands on for four or five years now.
    I've yet to encounter this on ANY new American Standard P or J, and I've played a bunch of them now. This is a MAJOR step up IMO. Is it better choice of timebers (not green) or better fret work? I don't know, but it's definitly an improvement.

Hipshot tuners... I couldn't care lesss as long as they function, but some look at this as an upgrade. As I understand it the Schallers are no longer available , so they had to find a quality replacement. The Hipshots work well, and are light weight as well.

My new American Standard is a worthy successor to my old 64 Precision. First time I've been able to ever say that about a modern Fender. I really think they got it right this time. :)

Again, it's not that the old ones were awful, they've just been tweaked to make a much better overall package IMO. Most people seem to agree.

9. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    +1 to that whole thing :)

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Let me offer a different perspective. All in my opinion of course. I have played the new 08 Fenders and I don't see what all the fuss is about. They are great basses, but so were the 07s and the 06s, et seq. I don't find the new bridge to be necessary or an improvement, and the fretwork seems about the same as before -- good enough for the price range; Although, the ones I played seemed to actually have proper crowns for a change. As far as the new finish, it may be thinner, but I don't think it makes all that much difference on a solid body electric. Besides, Fender was hard undercoating with Fullerplast back in the 60s anyway: http://www.caraguitars.com/fullerplast.asp so the finish has never really been all that thin.

As far as I can tell, the pickups are the same, and they are still made from alder/ash rosewood/maple. Most Fenders sound and play great with fresh strings and a proper setup. I for one like the old case better too -- it fits in my trunk! :) It seems like a lot of people are just jumping on the 08 bandwagon at this point.

I actually thought the Marcus Miller Jazz I played a few weeks ago in GC played, looked, and sounded better than any of the various 08 AM STD on the wall.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    My main problems with the American Series were:

-The Bridge: They all seemed to have a problem where the saddles would slide down!
    -The Fretwork: A heap better
    -The S1: Useless and they break easy, meaning that you have to replace the pot

12. My '03 MIA P does not have the S-1. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I was unbelieveably sceptical when I first read of the Upgrades for 08. I was even more sceptical when I first picked one up, thinking to myself "O.K. what kind of garbage is Fender going to try and pass off on me this year?" This was in Feb. before any of the love fest had started.

I stand by my previous statments.

Fender has finally got it right again.

14. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    I found the 05-07 basses to be almost difficult to play, like the thick gloss on the neck and body was keeping it from feeling comfortable.

Their tone was, for some reason, a little more dry than I find the new ones to be, which are generally great.

15. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Did you play a lot of them before you found "The One?"

16. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I bought an 08 because they now offer a basic passive P bass in a 5 STRING !!! The other improvements are just icing on the cake. Doesn't really qualify as "bandwagon" in this case.

Later
    Rob

17. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    [​IMG]

::golf clap::

18. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yeah, I love my 06 jazz. I actually find the S-1 switch very useful, but that is in my experience. :)

19. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I have an '07 P w/ the S-1 switch. I don't find it a problem at all. I like the choices it affords, but *generally* leave it off. Mine is in the 8lb range, setup is fantastic, fret ends could be a bit smoother, but I've noticed if I use better technique and keep my palm off the neck I barely notice them. My neck isn't all that glossy- it's comparable to a Lakland Skyline neck or a EB/MM neck. Never plaed an '08 so I can't compare the two directly. I don't dislike the '07's; I have a very, very nice one :)

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

After playing a bunch of really great ones, I found one with a little somethin' extra.

Not like before where I'd have to play a pile of them to find one that was reasonably good, yet never good enough to actualy purchase IMO.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021