Why do people do this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LA, Nov 27, 2002.

1. You memorize the tracking #s of all the basses you've had delivered via UPS.

13 vote(s)
  2. You can remember the string gauges on your first bass, but you can't remember the color of your wife

18 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I needed a back-up bass, so I snagged a Fender MIM Jazz off eBay (the first bass I ever won!). I just got it this morning and while it isn't perfect, one thing that rubs me the wrong way is the serial no. and the "Made in Mexico" insignias are scraped off. Why do people do this, as though their audience is going to assume he or she is playing an American made model. Oh well, it's a backup for when the battery runs out of my other Fender MIM, but can something like this be remedied? Like refinishing the front of the headstock and applying a Fender decal?
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I did that too. Actually, I removed the Fender name from the headstock as well. I'm not at all embarassed about having a Mexican made Fender. In fact, nobody I come in contact with knows the difference between by MIM, a MIA and a MIJ anyway. I just don't like advertising other people's names unless I'm gettin' paid (I took the names off both of my cabs, I remove the name labels from my jeans, I won't wear a shirt if the manufacturer's name is going to be visible, I scrape the dealer stickers off my cars and bikes, etc.).

3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you're missing a serial number, the instrument might have been stolen. Not saying that it is for sure, but Ebay is certainly a convenient way to sell a stolen item. I'd say that a removed serial number is something that should have DEFINITELY been disclosed in the Ebay item description.

Of course, that is just my opinion. I wouldn't automatically assume foul play on the part of your seller, but it's something to think about...
  4. LA

Oct 17, 2001

I'm thinking that the owner was too embarrassed to own a MIM, but if it's as you say, I'll hang on to it and see what happens.
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If the serial number is gone, I'd report it to the cops - in the SELLER'S home town. You got some hot goods there. Sorry.
  6. hmmmmm, it does sound suspicious, don't you just love stick on serial numbers?
  7. are there not like multiple serial numbers on the bass?
    like on ein the neck pocket on the neck or something?
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    i have 100% spector from factory, but it was some special edition...
    i have no idea where is there a serial number... i didn`t find any, but i got it from a factory.. :oops: :rolleyes:
    i dont know.. this might happen from many reasons...
  10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    For the spector, check the control cavity. They like to hide em.
  11. the dude shoulda left the mexi. sign on. I take people more seriously when they DONT spend 1200 on a Fender. I was playing someones precision that had a double jazz p/u near the bridge and the regular P. Nice looking fender, but the kid obviously doesn't get his basses setup and he uses expensive gear. I felt like telling him to pick up my Mex. I think he would of **** his pants with the playability of that thing. Never mind the MIM, he would of **** his pants playing my schecter, the action is so frickin' low the way I keep it. Hell, i **** my pants every time i play my schecter:D

why is it people are afraid to do theuir own setups!? GET A SQUIER and learn setup on that thing, thats how I did it (and now the neck is warped because the truss has been unadjustable for the longest time - stripped nut). I learned the hard way. Atleast it was on the squier. my fender has a warp but its not THAT bad, but now I know, I've got a nice bass now that when I adjust it, no more than 1/4 a turn per day. Beginners should **** up beginners gear, not pro gear. That's all a beginner needs to do is freak up a Peavey Cirrus's neck with warps and crap, that could be MY bass...

then there are the people who get it setup by a pro. Good thinking, then again, it may not be the playability you want, I praise low action
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Jamerson loved high action.

13. Well I think the fact that James Jamerson likes high action has to due to the fact that I believe he grew up on upright. I praise low action on both. I just got my action lowered on my upright (well I did it myself, I was getting pissed and I looked at the thing wierd and Im like, "Oh, the strings will be lower if I move the bridge back!" THe action is pretty low now and it's great for jazz. I've got pickups anyways to make up for the fact that it's harder to DIG IN because your fingers are alwaysrubbing off of the fingerboard rather ... well, im not making sense, I'm just gonna say my action on my upright before was WICKED high. I just hope its not bad for the bass in any way, the bridge is right over the sound post now. Well it didn't snap yet, I'll give it afew years using this method (moving the bridge back and forth) rather than spending 375 on an adjustable... Hey, this is the schools bass anyways and they've got 6 basses so I'll just say, "screw you, if you dont have ONE bass that has good playability, Im gonna do what it takes to lower the action, but its not coming out of my wallet!":p