1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do people hate PJ basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thijmen B, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Thijmen B

Thijmen B

Nov 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    Recently, I've been seeing more and more people wanting fender to go back to exclusively jazz/precision basses instead of the PJ models. Is there any reason for this? Does the jazz pickup cavity damage the sound of the precision pickup for example?
    Is it a matter of nostalgia?

Thanks in advance.

BrentD and Ellery like this.
  2. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    I have no idea why anyone would hate a P/J. I actually wish there were more options like a MIM Players series P/J

3. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I think you need a much larger sample size, I have not heard of such a thing.

4. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    The V/V/T wiring that typically goes into these *can* compromise the soloed P pickup tone due to electronic mumbo jumbo (this can be worked around if you use 500k volume pots, but I'm guessing most PJs come with 250k volume pots), which seems like the big downside to me as someone who would probably solo the P pickup 75% of the time.

Other than that, many people seem to say that there isn't a lot of synergy between the pickups when you blend them -- they're too different in character, and also the P tends to overpower the J pickup (contingent on pickup choice of course). I've seen a few people mention that if you make your P pickup switchable between series and parallel then that can help, with the P pickup in parallel being a much better sonic match for your average J pickup.

If you were to rewire a PJ with those mods then I imagine it would probably satisfy a lot of people, but as far as I know there aren't any common production basses that do both of those things. I hope to try those mods myself one day!

ccjacks3, AndyLES, gepettus and 15 others like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hadn't heard that there was a huge crowd of PJ haters. I know some folks don't like them because the bridge J is effectively solo and can't be hum-cancelled. Of course, that's easily solved by getting a hum-cancelling J pickup...

6. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Who hates PJ basses? I've never heard anyone say such a thing ever.

alpan254, zenandzen, Eric66 and 23 others like this.
  7. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I don't hate them.
    I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of a Precision bass with an added J pickup. Just looks a bit wrong to me (as do Jazz bodies with P pickups).
    Love Jazz basses, love my Am. Std. Jaguar PJ, love Precision basses, don't love Precision basses with an an added J pickups. This is on looks alone.
    Tone-wise, it's a wonderful thing.

8. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    My take is...they don't do P like a real P and they don't do J like a real J.

My 2 experiences with PJ basses (Sadowsky and Peavey) tend to support that statement. And plus it's an excuse to own more than one bass! :laugh:

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Why do people hate PJ basses

:laugh:

bobyoung53 and Ellery like this.
  10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    My Am. Std. Jaguar in passive mode does P like a real P. It doesn't do J like a real J. It does PJ like a real....um....PJ.

11. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Uh, they seem pretty popular to me.
    I agree they don't do a J like a true J, and some certainly don't do a P like a true P (although I've played many that do). They're their own thing and definitely one of the most versatile and most used pickup configs. I don't think I've ever heard or read a comment which equates to: "P/J?!?! YUCK!!!"

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

laughing-emoticon3.

13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Maybe they haven’t tried this one.
    2u8fabo.

14. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    H-O-T

jd56hawk likes this.
  15. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011

Nice. What do you have in the J position? Looks a little fat for a regular j pickup.

BrentSimons likes this.
  16. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Im all about the P/J, however i prefer the wiring to be Vol / Blend / Tone.

Roj Ash, Snowglo, muddy_w and 3 others like this.
  17. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Where?

Spectrum, SunnBass and MMiller28 like this.
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Settle down, Beavis.

TonyP-, Malak the Mad and JRA like this.
  19. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    P/Hum is the option I prefer when available. Humbuckers (Music Man pickups and almost every variation of soapbar, be them single-coil or hum-canceling) seem to be a better match with a good P pickup than a J. YMMV.

Bikeguy57, Bassamatic, oZZma and 5 others like this.
  20. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Without the tone pot it is too H-O-T.

citizenchris099 likes this.